The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Not true. I play it every time I refill the humidifier in the case.
The ole YOUR WOOD GUITAR HERE refill the humidifier and should play it wilst I have the case open anyway routine...nice. I have heard of such events.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-27-2018, 09:41 AM

My cherished 1965 D-28 is great in all the ways you'd expect from a 53-year old Martin dread. I record with it, but I'm sure not going to expose it to the dangers of gigging. My X20 is a very different animal, but a wonderful instrument too, and it laughs at danger! I love them both, and I really hope I never have to choose between them.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
My cherished 1965 D-28 is great in all the ways you'd expect from a 53-year old Martin dread.

Wow that must be sweet.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-28-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Wow that must be sweet.
So it is, Mr. Kramster. The dictionary should have a picture of it to illustrate the word "keeper". I got it from the original owner in 1972, and out of consideration to the sensitive feelings of all the GAS victims here, I won't mention how much (or little) I paid for it.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So it is, Mr. Kramster. The dictionary should have a picture of it to illustrate the word "keeper". I got it from the original owner in 1972, and out of consideration to the sensitive feelings of all the GAS victims here, I won't mention how much (or little) I paid for it.

So just say the price of something else that just happens to be the exact same price...though "something else" might be off topic and never want to do that.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 AM

Umm… just under 70% of a Tonedexter? Does that help? At least the GAS victims will need to do a little math this way; can't hurt.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm guessing the $300 range? My long term acoustic that I had for about 25 years before giving up on playing (until recently) was a 1968 D-28, the last year they were pretty much all made with Brazillian Rosewood. It would probably be less valuable than your's today, but not a lot less. And I paid about $400-425 for mine in 1979 or '80. Since neither would have been considered vintage when we bought them, I'm guessing mine might have been worth a bit more in 1972, just for being newer, but less than what I paid in 1979 given how much inflation there'd been in the '70s.

So I'm just guessing, but I'm curious. If you really don't want to divulge, maybe you could PM me? I also bought a mid-70s strat at nearly the same time for $400. That $825 worth of guitars could have been lifetime guitars if I'd kept playing. As is, my current MIM strat is a better instrument than that '70s MIA strat. I'd love to still have that D-28 though, as much as I love my X20...
Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Guest 928

I can remember buying gas for 15 cents a gallon, as a point of comparison.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I'm guessing the $300 range?
Very good guess! $275, actually, including OHSC. But to soften the blow, consider that I no longer have the 1963 Strat or mid-'60s 335 that I bought new back then.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I can remember buying gas for 15 cents a gallon, as a point of comparison.
I'm younger than you Evan but I can remember that too. It was during competitive gas station wars that occurred in the late 60's. Remember getting full service and collectible drinking glasses with fill-ups too? Normally gas was $0.29 a gallon or so, IIRC. By the time I was driving in the mid-70's it was about $1.00 a gallon, then the gas shortages hit.

All I will say regarding the original topic is that I graduated - a carefully chosen word - from Martin to Taylor and now to Emerald and other CF guitars as my tastes, skills, and needs have changed. And as the tonal character of CF guitars has matured too.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

You whippersnappers. When I was a kid working in a neighborhood grocery store, there was a woman who did her shopping every Saturday. I would carry out 3 boxes of groceries for her and she would tip me... a nickle. And with that nickle, I could go to the movies, buy some popcorn and a soda, and make a down payment on the guitar I really wanted (a '65 ES335 - still have it).
Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My cherished 1965 D-28 is great in all the ways you'd expect from a 53-year old Martin dread.
My cherished 1963 0-16NY is great in all the ways you'd expect from a 55-year old Martin parlour
Quote:
My X20 is a very different animal, but a wonderful instrument too, and it laughs at danger!
I haven't heard mine laugh yet, but after being out of town for a week, I came home to find it perfectly in tune.
Quote:
I love them both, and I really hope I never have to choose between them.
This.
Quote:
The dictionary should have a picture of it to illustrate the word "keeper". I got it from the original owner in 1972, and out of consideration to the sensitive feelings of all the GAS victims here, I won't mention how much (or little) I paid for it.
To heck with sensitivity. I paid $340 to the previous owner of mine in 1984
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber