The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Now calm down Wicked. This waiting stuff is not easy, not for the weak or queasy. Take a hint from the Captain and the Kramster, go play your heart out on what you have and it'll all be good. Hang in there.
Haha, I wish I could. I really prefer nylon strings, and alas, as much as I love my current X7, it is steel. It just makes me long for the new one more when I play this one. Hence, my need to feed off other's anticipation.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 10-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

"The need to feed off other's anticipation" sounds a bit vampirish--could be a seasonal affliction (Halloween being right around the corner).
Old 10-27-2018, 08:15 PM

I would def. like to order one but really don't know where to start. I'm 5'1 and only 75lbs and a wheelchair user. I have a Taylor 214e and like the short scale. I want to do light strumming and finger picking.

How do you start choosing all the options?
No pickups right?
Are there US dealers?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnut View Post
I would def. like to order one but really don't know where to start. I'm 5'1 and only 75lbs and a wheelchair user. I have a Taylor 214e and like the short scale. I want to do light strumming and finger picking.

No pickups right?
Are there US dealers?
Hi Beachnut,

I have 2017 Select Series green X7. I'm a fingerpicker, somewhat larger than you, so I appreciate the standard 1.75" nut and bridge string spacing. Love the 24" scale. So the only thing I would suggest needed to get closer to your Taylor would be a custom 1 11/16" nut.

Jim
Old 10-27-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnut View Post

No pickups right?
Are there US dealers?
Your Taylor has a 25.5" scale with a 1 11/16" nut width. A closer fit for you would be the X10 (standard with both of the above), which also has a thinner neck profile (to me, it is very close to the Taylor). The X7 has a 24" scale and a 1 3/4" nut width. One thing you will really notice is the comfort difference - the Emeralds are ergonomically designed, with rib bevel and an arm rest bevel. With no heel on the neck on the new X7 and X10, it is more comfortable to play up the fretboard.

No US dealers. In fact, no dealers - you buy direct from the people who make the guitar (in Ireland). They are great to deal with. You can order with or without a pickup. Look around on this sub-forum and you will find plenty of Emerald info and happy owners.

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
....Are the back and sides going to be black? Personally I don't think the four standard colors would combine well with this top.
Fear not. When Alice got her X7 woody, the back and sides are not quite the standard amber tone. The color is a little more brownish than the amber, and we call it "root beer". It works perfectly with the bubinga top veneer. Emerald seems to adjust the tonality to best match the veneer, and do it with the eye of a master craftsman / artist.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Smile

Well, my guitar is "in the mail". Got a sneak peek at the look - shown below. On the left is the veneer that I selected back in July, guitar from it is on the right. Going to be a happy NEGD (New Emerald Guitar Day) coming in a week or so on this end!

Old 11-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Guest 928

THAT IS JUST RAVISHING!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, it is beautiful. I look forward to hearing about how you like it when it arrives.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 11-02-2018, 07:26 PM

What kind of wood is that? It's beautiful.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-02-2018, 07:45 PM

What fun to see the transformation! Congrats! Can't wait for the photo shoot.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Wow! I definitely like some veneers more than others - that one jumped right up there with the Cocobola (sp?) tops. Beautiful.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Well, my guitar is "in the mail". Got a sneak peek at the look - shown below. On the left is the veneer that I selected back in July, guitar from it is on the right. Going to be a happy NEGD (New Emerald Guitar Day) coming in a week or so on this end!

Goodness, that is gorgeous!!
Old 11-03-2018, 05:42 AM

One word..Wowthatsbeautacious !
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-03-2018, 09:30 AM

Alistair and company did a wonderful job with your woody. The dark edges really set the veneer off beautifully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber