The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-30-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Congratulations. That is a beautiful guitar. Does the honeycomb structure have any other purpose than being aesthetically pleasing?

Strange. Isn't carbon fiber supposed to be louder than wood? My Rainsong Smokey certainly is loud.
I did notice that the Sable has a body depth of only 4". Could that be a limiting factor here?
Larry Klenc is the GM at McPherson. (Responds very well to emails by the way) and he does an interview (youtube) at NAMM about the honey comb top. He said the engineers said it produces a sound difference but his “old ears” can’t tell the difference.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:29 AM

Yes I like Larry... a really good guy.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-30-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgrit View Post
Larry Klenc is the GM at McPherson. (Responds very well to emails by the way) and he does an interview (youtube) at NAMM about the honey comb top. He said the engineers said it produces a sound difference but his “old ears” can’t tell the difference.
I just took a look at a picture of the honey comb top and it is a pattern woven into the visible layer of carbon fiber. Most of the top is the same 1x1 weave as a standard McPherson CF guitar but the honey comb is made by making the pattern in longer runs of CF. The mechanical properties have got to be at least slightly different as in theory, longer straight runs of CF fiber are slightly stronger for the same weight (maybe why RainSong uses 3x3 twill as their go to material). To my eye, I like the look of 1x1 better than 3x3. 1x1 is often chosen for its ability to hold a nice looking weave pattern even after handling or contorting to shape. Longer twill patterns are harder to keep neat.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber