The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM

Default Keep it going

"People writing songs that voices never share .......
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM

I once bought an Eastman all-solid archtop from the US when in a similar situation about 10 years ago, the now discontinued AR604CE. I'm French born but live in Switzerland. Granted VAT is lower in Switzerland but shipping cost was under $200, not $300. The total came to around $1800, including a professional setup, when a local, Swiss dealer wanted $3200 for basically the same guitar except his was the maple model. I think it was worth the hassle. Like you I do not understand or accept the price of some guitars in Europe. Why does a made in China Eastman cost 20-30% more in Europe than the US? While I don't understand Gibson's European pricing policy, I understand Eastman's even less. Therefore, I ordered from the US then, and would do it again today. In your situation I would investigate more, with US dealers, ebay, or used sections on the jazz guitar forum, archtop.com etc.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
People hearing without listening
Indeed.

"Archtops around a $1000, $1200 or even a (little) bit more (brand new) ?" with the stipulation for solid woods.

Yunzhi/Wu are the only answer I know of for a quality solid wood, carved instrument in that price range. In the US, Europe, or anywhere else.

You said, "I'm surprised that none of you liked thls luthier's work : click on the Archtop J-42 link, and watch the video" in context of a $1500 solid wood guitars. I asked for the link. Would still like to see it.

Last edited by Spook; 03-26-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:16 PM

If it were me, I would let go the idea of requiring brand new, and check out some recent all solid Eastmans. Very impressive what $1200 can buy in that regard.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-26-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
If it were me, I would let go the idea of requiring brand new, and check out some recent all solid Eastmans. Very impressive what $1200 can buy in that regard.
This is certainly the best answer for vast majority of players looking in this price range. Eastman finishes can be brittle, their tone can be overly bright (ymmv), and don't care for their older pickups, but they are a great bargain in the used market. Particularly when you find one with a few dings. You sometimes even see their high end models at great prices.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
"People writing songs that voices never share .......
Was it 'People talking without reading' that came next ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_g View Post
I once bought an Eastman all-solid archtop from the US when in a similar situation about 10 years ago, the now discontinued AR604CE. I'm French born but live in Switzerland. Granted VAT is lower in Switzerland but shipping cost was under $200, not $300. The total came to around $1800, including a professional setup, when a local, Swiss dealer wanted $3200 for basically the same guitar except his was the maple model. I think it was worth the hassle. Like you I do not understand or accept the price of some guitars in Europe. Why does a made in China Eastman cost 20-30% more in Europe than the US? While I don't understand Gibson's European pricing policy, I understand Eastman's even less. Therefore, I ordered from the US then, and would do it again today. In your situation I would investigate more, with US dealers, ebay, or used sections on the jazz guitar forum, archtop.com etc.
Thanks m. g. that's interesting : yes I too sometimes wonder why these guitars often reach the kind of prices like what you mentioned in Europe...Bying from the US may be a thing wort trying : so far I'd rather play the guitar I want to buy first however...
When it comes to shipping costs, I had been asked $275 for an electric solid body guitar (Fender) through UPS (or 150 through USPS), and $300 through UPS again for an acoustic Martin guitar (no other option offered)...Couldn't find the prices I was asked other two times I tried (eventually bought second-hand here)...
Vice la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Indeed.

"Archtops around a $1000, $1200 or even a (little) bit more (brand new) ?" with the stipulation for solid woods.

Yunzhi/Wu are the only answer I know of for a quality solid wood, carved instrument in that price range. In the US, Europe, or anywhere else.

You said, "I'm surprised that none of you liked thls luthier's work : click on the Archtop J-42 link, and watch the video" in context of a $1500 solid wood guitars. I asked for the link. Would still like to see it.
-But the link is within my 5 best archtops under $1500 as already mentioned (written in the way Steve De Rosa did , first page)...
-The Peerless and the Loar, for me in Europe, are within that price range (they are less than 1100€ online)...Don't know what the price of your advised guitars would end up being (fit for live work)...
-When I see this type of guitar on Reverb, I tend to think of a fake : I'm honestly not into it. http://www.reverb.com/fr/item/144701...ades?locate=fr
And if I add that this is the kind of thing I get if I googgle Yunzhi guitars (see part 1 too)...www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB96XDTicuw, I'm through with them.

I was telling I'd rather buy locally, participate help keeoing the planet safe with less transport (and then pollution), and have a guitar that really works from a good person too...Especially if the guitar is great.

Last edited by Bernieman; 04-08-2019 at 12:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops