The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Default "Church Street Blues" help

I'm trying to learn "Church Street Blues" - the Tony Rice version. The different types of crosspickings are a question of practice, but the biggest challenge turned out to be the rhythm.

Is it just me, or when he plays, the measures 1-2-3-4 are completely ignored? I was trying to count, identify on which note the clicks fall but it appears to be totally random. What do you think? Should I check again and pay more attention, or is it normal?

Thanks!

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
I'm trying to learn "Church Street Blues" - the Tony Rice version. The different types of crosspickings are a question of practice, but the biggest challenge turned out to be the rhythm.

Is it just me, or when he plays, the measures 1-2-3-4 are completely ignored? I was trying to count, identify on which note the clicks fall but it appears to be totally random. What do you think? Should I check again and pay more attention, or is it normal?

Thanks!
It's not random, but is is ****ed hard to get into!
The tab starts this way:
Code:
   C                      (F)           (G)               (C)
-------|-------------------------------|-------------------------------|----
-------|--1-------------------------1--|--0-------------------1--------|--1---
--0----|----0---0------(0)------2p0----(0)--0-----0-0---0--(0)--0------|----0----
------0h2-----------2p0----h3---------0|>-----------0---0h2-----------0h2-------
----3--|------------------3>-----------|------3>--------------------3--|--------
-------|-------------------------------|-------------------------------|-------
4 . . . 1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4 . . . 1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4 . . .|1... etc
Those two bars then repeat (I haven't checked further than that).
In the studio version - which I based the tab on - his capo is on 3, and that very first open 3rd string note (upstroke) is missing. You hear it in this version (capo 4):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpj2ZQU9zk
The trick is to get the 4th string hammer-on to 2nd fret on beat 1. Once I heard it that way, the rest all fell into place.
Some of the bass strings are later syncopated (which I've marked with ">"), so those can throw you.
But it's all in 4/4; he's clearly feeling where the 1-2-3-4 fall, but is playing off the beat, altering pick direction, using hammer-ons or pull-offs on the beat, etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 AM

Wow...that's impressive, thanks a lot! I can here where the 1 is, but I lose it after the first bar..

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
Wow...that's impressive, thanks a lot! I can here where the 1 is, but I lose it after the first bar..
Do you use a slowdowner? If not, I recommend this:
http://www.seventhstring.com/
- I couldn't have done it without the ability to mark beats and barlines (guessing then confirming).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write