The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-19-2020, 09:02 PM

Default Derek and the Dominoes on Johnny Cash show

My wife was watching the old Johnny Cash show on Get TV earlier this evening and she called to me that Eric Clapton was his guest, and something about dominoes. That caught my attention because I had been unaware of any actual video recordings of Derek and the Dominoes from 1970. It turns out that Cash booked them on the show as part of their promotion of Layla and Other Love Songs, and the band (Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, Carl Radle and Jim Gordon, unfortunately no Duane Allman) played It's Too Late, followed by Matchbox with Cash and Carl Perkins. It was taped on November 5, 1970 and aired on Jan 6, 1971. I Googled Derek and the Dominoes and Johnny Cash, and it popped up, so obviously it was there all along, just unbeknownst to me. If anyone is interested here is the You Tube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1BFtWPbX4

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 07-19-2020, 09:06 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Cool! Nice find.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:02 PM

Amazingly clear video. Clapton looked like a kid on Xmas morning.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy the guitar work and the call and response vocals. I actually listen to this song often believe it or not. It's a stand along guitar tune in my mind. Now that I think of it I should learn it. Thanks

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-19-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
My wife was watching the old Johnny Cash show on Get TV earlier this evening and she called to me that Eric Clapton was his guest, and something about dominoes. That caught my attention because I had been unaware of any actual video recordings of Derek and the Dominoes from 1970. It turns out that Cash booked them on the show as part of their promotion of Layla and Other Love Songs, and the band (Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, Carl Radle and Jim Gordon, unfortunately no Duane Allman) played It's Too Late, followed by Matchbox with Cash and Carl Perkins. It was taped on November 5, 1970 and aired on Jan 6, 1971. I Googled Derek and the Dominoes and Johnny Cash, and it popped up, so obviously it was there all along, just unbeknownst to me. If anyone is interested here is the You Tube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1BFtWPbX4
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Duanne only did a show or two with the band. His real contribution was on the album.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:50 PM

One of the things that I like best about this forum is the robust derision that has usually greeted interlopers who hate Eric Clapton and assume that most of us share their contempt for him.

To me, badmouthing Eric Clapton and his musicianship is completely unfathomable. He’s a true giant, so far as I’m concerned, yet there are a significant number of Clapton haters online who relish denigrating him.

The few times that people have started Clapton-bashing threads on here, they haven’t exactly swept the rest of us off our feet and made us want to get out the torches and pitchforks to join in with their mob mentality. Instead, reason and sanity have prevailed and those who want to deride Clapton have found themselves being derided instead.

My response has usually been along the lines of: “I’m sure you’re correct, but first please list all the gold and platinum records that YOU’VE recorded, so we have a basis for comparison...”

The response to that has always been complete silence, as if I’m somehow being unfair to ask them to prove that they’re as good or better musically than the man they think worthy of contempt.

Anyway, Clapton is one of the greats, regardless of what some malcontents with Internet access would like to have us believe. Thanks for posting the link - that’s the first time I’ve seen it:

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-20-2020, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Still one of my favorite albums. Clapton is the reason I wanted to learn how to play guitar.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:53 AM

I’ve seen this clip probably hundreds of times’. I’m not much a of Clapton fan but there’s something so right about this performance, especially the subdued solo.
He also did Blues Power on this broaadcast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2Ilvek4So
Old 07-20-2020, 03:58 AM

I wouldn't be playing guitar if it wasn't for the Beano album.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:19 AM

I remember watching that show when it first aired. It was a really big deal back then. Bob Dylan was also on the Cash show.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:04 AM

that was great... thx for posting.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
One of the things that I like best about this forum is the robust derision that has usually greeted interlopers who hate Eric Clapton and assume that most of us share their contempt for him.

To me, badmouthing Eric Clapton and his musicianship is completely unfathomable. He’s a true giant, so far as I’m concerned, yet there are a significant number of Clapton haters online who relish denigrating him.

The few times that people have started Clapton-bashing threads on here, they haven’t exactly swept the rest of us off our feet and made us want to get out the torches and pitchforks to join in with their mob mentality. Instead, reason and sanity have prevailed and those who want to deride Clapton have found themselves being derided instead.

My response has usually been along the lines of: “I’m sure you’re correct, but first please list all the gold and platinum records that YOU’VE recorded, so we have a basis for comparison...”

The response to that has always been complete silence, as if I’m somehow being unfair to ask them to prove that they’re as good or better musically than the man they think worthy of contempt.

Anyway, Clapton is one of the greats, regardless of what some malcontents with Internet access would like to have us believe. Thanks for posting the link - that’s the first time I’ve seen it:

Wade Hampton Miller
I don't think many people who are old enough to have heard him with Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, or Derek & the Dominos feel that way. I think it's mostly younger folks who came into a world that Clapton shared with Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Ray Vaughan, years after Hendrix was gone, and didn't hear enough flash in his playing for their taste. For sure, if some of his blues on Mayall's "Beano" album appeared for the first time today, it would probably be considered tasteful but unexceptional.

But in the context of the early/mid 60's, when blues was still mostly thought of as "race music", particularly in the US, what he did was basically revolutionary and opened up so many of us to blues we might not have heard, if not for him. For sure, a lot of English kids were treading some of the same ground - the Stones started out as basically a purist blues band too and made it their own in a very different way. We have been Led to it eventually (pun intended), but Clapton was the first to gain real popularity with it and play it like he meant it. Which if you know his backstory, he did - it was his lifeline.

I still love the guy. He and BB King were the two guys I always tried to play like in my first years of playing. Until Mark Knopfler came along and he jumped right into that list. I never got close to any of them, but I sort of found what I could do by trying to do what I couldn't. Do I still listen to him? Not that much, but some. But then again, I don't listen to music non-stop like I did in my 20s and 30s. I play a lot more and listen a lot less

-Ray.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:13 AM

Great Band, Great Album and Great Video. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:34 AM

Just finished reading an autobiography about Johnny Cash and in the middle of learning Layla so this is very appropriate for me!
Old 07-20-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post

Johnny Cash show. Eric Clapton was his guest.

That caught my attention because I had been unaware of any actual video recordings of Derek and the Dominoes from 1970.
Correct spelling is Derek and the Dominos, by the way.

Last edited by Inyo; 07-21-2020 at 07:04 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN