The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-20-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
A USB mic with direct monitoring works well for this.
A USB mic won't give me the same sound I get from my two ADK mics and mixer, and it won't let me hear everyone else on a Zoom session. I can do direct monitoring from my mixer, but that doesn't let me hear everyone else. As I said, I my get an A/B switch to go between my PC's audio output, so I can listen to others, and the headphone output of my mixer, so I can monitor myself.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-21-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
In my experience Zoom mutes you when you're speaking/singing/playing. I use in-ear monitors, so for me it would be nice if it didn't so I could monitor myself. I may get an A/B switch so I can switch output between my PC and my mixer.
The problem is that if you have your Zoom settings to 'disable' the suppression of background sound (advanced settings), then it may not mute your sound, and if you have the supression enabled, it can intermittently mute your input so others can't hear all of your sound!
Also, if you are using an audio interface and direct monitoring, then a mic will pick up that sound, with a very short latency, of course, but this can then mess with the Zoom compression too.

I use close-mic vocal, DI'd guitar (both through Play Acoustic). I have recorded my sound both with monitor speakers on and off and noticed a very little difference in sound, but it is enough to warrant turning off the monitors while playing. For people using iPads, there is a definite difference in the Zoom sound when they mute their iPad's built-in speaker.

I have the monitor feed from my interface going to a Mackie 'Big Knob', so can press one button to mute the speakers, and as its in easy arm's reach, I can adjust volumes when listening to others as there is a big disparity in volumes during a Zoom meeting, depending on what device people are using for sound - for some reason people using a webcam's built-in mic are louder than those using audio interfaces.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-21-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
...I can adjust volumes when listening to others as there is a big disparity in volumes during a Zoom meeting, depending on what device people are using for sound...
Yes, that's a problem. I use in-ear monitors plugged into the headphone jack on my PC and I have a mouse next to me so I can adjust volume.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-21-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
for some reason people using a webcam's built-in mic are louder than those using audio interfaces.
Most webcams have automatic gain control (compression), so they are likely to be louder (and sound bad for music). There's more to configure to get an acceptable sound than just zoom.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
There's more to configure to get an acceptable sound than just zoom.
I set up a Zoom session with my son to get my basic sound dialed in, then set up another session with a couple of musician friends to fine-tune it.

In the Zoom open mics I've done, gain staging has been an issue. Many participants have the gain so high they are distorting. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Zoom has no mechanism to control this or even show that it's happening.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

There' s a tiny meter on the microphone at the bottom of the screen on the desktop version:

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 10.57.44 AM.jpg

That part showing green is the audio level. No idea how accurate it is, and it's certainly not very useful, but if I saw it peaking, I'd probably assume something was going on. Skype has better (tho not much) meters, so I sometimes verify my sound levels with that. Then just ask people on the session if things are ok.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:11 PM

Besides turning on "original sound," Zoom has 3 other filters that get in the way of anything more complex than speech. You can disable the 2 that deal with background noise but not the 1 for echo cancellation. It's either on "auto" or "aggressive." While auto does the least harm, it definitely messes with any music going through the system. That's what I think your are dealing with.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I set up a Zoom session with my son to get my basic sound dialed in, then set up another session with a couple of musician friends to fine-tune it.

In the Zoom open mics I've done, gain staging has been an issue. Many participants have the gain so high they are distorting. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Zoom has no mechanism to control this or even show that it's happening.
Last night I looked to see there is actually a Windows 10 setting for volume/gain, too. Mine was at 86% (never had adjusted it or even seen it before). When I cranked up to 100% there was crackling during loudest vocals. Backed it down to 88, and no more crackling. There were also sliders for the Zoom ap in the same screen, both were at 100%. Then there are sliders in the Zoom settings, too.
I have my interface gains adjusted to momentarily bounce into the yellow/orange at the loudest parts.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Last night I looked to see there is actually a Windows 10 setting for volume/gain, too. Mine was at 86% (never had adjusted it or even seen it before). When I cranked up to 100% there was crackling during loudest vocals. Backed it down to 88, and no more crackling. There were also sliders for the Zoom ap in the same screen, both were at 100%. Then there are sliders in the Zoom settings, too.
I have my interface gains adjusted to momentarily bounce into the yellow/orange at the loudest parts.
Yes, you're correct about the sliders in Zoom. I forgot they were there, and Zoom doesn't make it obvious how to find them.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD