The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 AM

Thx for the compliment HookEm'01. I must admit that I am also largely guided by the Luthier in question. I have two more to come over the next few years - one in ABW and the other in a gorgeous piece of Ziricote, but at present I am looking forward to the Baranik.

I have a feeling that Mike is going to also do something fantastic yet elegant and earthy on this as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Well the thread has been dormant for a while due to a number of reasons. I asked Mike Baranik to extend the build time to have the guitar finished in Feb next year as opposed to November this year which was Mike’s plan.

From the outset of our initial discussions Mike had suggested that we look at the possibility of having an African influence, albeit subtle, in the build which resonated with me. As far as possible we are using woods that may either originate from Africa or have a connection to Africa. In addition to this, I sent Mike a number of images that I felt represented Africa to me. There were probably around 200 images that were sent and these were of a wide range of aspects e.g. Jewellery, Pottery, Wildlife, Paintings (From Bushman engravings and rock art to modern), landscape images, precious stones, buildings, Ndebele huts and beads etc. Basically anything that I was attracted to or depicted either a colour, pattern or style that I enjoyed. The purpose of this exercise was not to get Mike to copy or emulate any pattern or image but an attempt to evoke or influence his creative sensibilities in a certain direction. I probably was over cautious in emphasising over and over again that I did not want some overt, garish, multi-coloured rendition of Ndebele art on a guitar reminiscent of an Oil Can guitar but rather a subtle expression of this influence.

There has been a flow of ideas and suggestions from Mike and I really enjoy the interaction that this brings. In the last two builds I reached a certain point after initial discussions and numerous e-mails describing my preferences and pet hates etc. ( from colours to styles etc.) where I started to encourage the Luthiers to build the best guitar that they would build for themselves if they were in my shoes, knowing all of my preferences etc. I believe that this approach has led to two extraordinary guitars from both an aesthetic and tonal perspective. I believe that this build will be no different.

Well I received a few images of where we are going with the purfling. These are not the final product but demonstrate Mike’s commitment to experiment and get it correct before committing the designs to the actual guitar. We had discussed the idea of trying to create decorative wood purfling and I must say that when I opened the images below I said to my wife: “He’s gets it!” as although subtle, the images really show the influence of the images I sent etc. and demonstrate that Mike has allowed the images I sent to influence him in creating something that resonates with me.

So here is the description in Mike’s words:” I used some Spruce and Blackwood scraps to inlay it into. The binding is the spalted maple, the purfling is black/purpleheart/black on both the side and top. The main wood inlay is that African milkwood, earthy coloured with fiddleback flame. If we decide this design works, I will use some darker stock to make it less tan. Although this will darken as well. The smaller pieces are a turquoise acrylic flanked by small pieces of black /satinwood/black on one side and black/Bubinga/black in the other. So all the woods except the maple are species from Africa. The plan is to have the turquoise piece every 4 inches or so it creates a pattern.”

We are still deciding whether we use 3” or 4” spacing, have a slight slant to the blocks forming a subtle chevron look etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM
*mahoganut*

Roy - I don't know how I missed out when you started this thread but I am ecstatic I blundered into it today. Wow!

Your top set of blue spruce is unreal ... it just doesn't come that way! My set, and I believe Juston's set, and the set on the blue Retreux that was at Healdsburg 2009 and which is now reclining with Steve (El Conquistador) every evening in his easy chair - it's beautiful with haunting tinkling highs - but it's variagated grain and subtle almost-bear claw imperfections are a function of not being able to find big C Blue Spruce trees! Looks like Mike found a treasure to get one so nicely even grained! Not that it matters to the tone, but that just really adds to the rarity. (too bad it doesn't grow in Africa!)

The inlaid purfling - even without your final decisions made - is also inspired. When Juston's guitar was built Mike added some touches that, although subtle, I thought "dang! why didn't I think of that!" and each succeeding build of his adds to that same reaction. (Lucky me ... we have a build scheduled for 2014 ...).

I don't know off the top of my head what the inside of the double sides on Volcano are - EIR I believe. It would be interesting to have yours, mine, and Juston's all in the same room to see what, if any, differences show up from the different inner side woods - all else being the same. I suspect it would be subtle to non-existent as the intention is mostly to stiffen the sides so the back and top can vibrate more freely.

But looking through the soundhole you'll definitely see the spalted inners - what a great view - and those look very nice all by themselves.

I'll be fascinated to see how things progress. We may have to commission Colin to visit you, as geographically at least he's much closer, in order to get a second opinion once you have it!!

Best... thanks for posting...

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I am a true believer in the sonic possibilities of Blue Spruce. As Phil has already said, the tonal pallette is amazingly broad and I say this with only a parlor sized guitar! I predict you will be very happy with it.

Here is my little piece of Blue Spruce:

Steve
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Mike is definitely willing to go to great lengths to experiment. I love it when luthiers mock up designs so you know what you're getting. That purfling pattern looks really fantastic to me. Go Mike!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 PM

Well, we have decided on 3" spacing and a slight, subtle effect so more pics should be coming soon. Here is Mike's description of teh woods used:

I used some Spruce and Blackwood scraps to inlay it into. The binding is the spalted maple, the purfling is black/purpleheart/black on both the side and top. The main wood inlay is that African milkwood, earthy coloured with fiddleback flame. If we decide this design works, I will use some darker stock to make it less tan. Although this will darken as well. The smaller pieces are a turquoise acrylic flanked by small pieces of black /satinwood/black on one side and black/Bubinga/black in the other. So all the woods except the maple are species from Africa. The plan is to have the turquoise pc every 4 inches or so it creates a pattern.”
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM

Awesome build Roy
I'm exited about the tone woods - have always been intrigued by Cocobolo - love that top - the medulary rays are going to look stunning once finish is applied.
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I'll be fascinated to see how things progress. We may have to commission Colin to visit you, as geographically at least he's much closer, in order to get a second opinion once you have it!!

Best... thanks for posting...

Phil
Happy to take the commission Phil, as I would love to go to South Africa! Or maybe Roy and I should both get to a second Baranik Gathering next year?

Roy it is great to see how much you are enjoying the build and interacting with Mike which, I am sure, makes his own activities more enjoyable too. And the results are looking quite wonderful. Keep those posts coming!
Cheers,
Col
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Or maybe Roy and I should both get to a second Baranik Gathering next year?
Col - that's been on my mind! Keep us informed - we'll work around any travel plans you and Roy might fall into that would place you near Templeton!

If anyone would like to see a few pictures "behind the scenes" at Mike's shop, here's a thread from our gathering in 2011. The shop photos will give you some "context" for watching Roy's build.

However - fair warning - Roy's talents as a photographer compared to mine have just about the same gap as Mike's luthier skills compared to mine! Roy - you should post a few of the pictures you sent to Mike for inspiration!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=232782&page=2

Best,

Phil
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Thx Phil and everyone else.

I would love to travel over to US next year to collect (maybe later in the year - I have one forum member who has volunteered to keep the Baranik safe for me until I collect but we are still haggling about my "no testing" clause) as it would also give me an opportunity to meet and discuss my last two or three builds.

I would also enable me to meet a few people who I have come to consider more than just forum connections and who have provided much advice and inspiration in this journey.

Hey Cazon (or is it "my Couzin" ), we need to get togather soon to play the Bashkin, the Baranik and you Canteri...

Thx for the kind comments on my photography Phil.

Last edited by racman; 11-30-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Hello, Roy! I'm loving this build thread! I think it is super kewl when you can have a wonderful guitar built by a master luthier with rare woods that provide exquisite tone. I loved following Juston's build thread, and I am very much as excited to be following your thread. I think the appointments are wonderful and that you will end up with an awesome guitar. Perhaps you, Phil, Steve and Juston could all meet at Healdsburg 2013 with Mike and let the rest of us in on the listening session as you play your guitars. Congratulations on a sweet, sweet build!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM

Thx Billy, looking forward to see an shear Mike's creation
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
Hey Cazon (or is it "my Couzin" ), we need to get togather soon to play the Bashkin, the Baranik and you Canteri...
"Couzin" - ja, I like that... hey maybe we should make a trip to the US together hey? - plenty of mates there - and some good music too!!
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 11-29-2012, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post

I would love to travel over to US next year to collect (maybe later in the year - I have one forum member who has volunteered to keep the Baranik safe for me until I collect but we are still haggling about my "no testing" clause) as it would also give me an opportunity to meet and discuss my last two or three builds.
So a Baranik Gathering around the same time as Healdsburg? Hmmm, I wonder how many frequent flyer points I have? It could be a while after your guitar is ready Roy but it would be a massive buzz for you to pick it up and show it off!

Col
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
So a Baranik Gathering around the same time as Healdsburg? Hmmm, I wonder how many frequent flyer points I have? It could be a while after your guitar is ready Roy but it would be a massive buzz for you to pick it up and show it off!

Col
Or - maybe in October again... great time of year, just not the same weekend as the Paso Robles wine festival!

Sorry to detract from the build story, Roy -- we're just deciding where you will have your guitar's "coming out party" !!! Now, back to the build...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop