The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 AM

Cheeers Mick, certainly am familiar with the PK track, one my faves. Wasnt aware of the Alman Bros track, will check it out.

Totally right about the melody, its what gives the track identity.

Did you take a listen just to the backing track or also with the attempted vocal melody ?

btw: hows the music scene in Canberra these days ? Remebering visting the ANU Bar a few times back in the day, caught some great bands there.

cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblue View Post
Following basic principles of what makes a logical progression it can only go around so many times before the same progression or riff gets revisited and there's millions of tunes out there.

I've been playing the old Allman Bros. classic "Melissa" a lot lately & then this morning on the radio I heard Paul Kelly's "How to make Gravy" (which you may well know as an expat aussie) & OMG the opening stanza's identical! In all fairness PK may well have had no idea himself. Either that or Melissa was locked that far back in his memory he was channelling those 3 chords without realising the origin.

Having said all that when I played back your tune I initially thought of Pete Murray's "So Beautiful" (but the similarity didn't last long) & when I first heard that song I thought of U2's "One" as somebody else suggested with yours so go figure I suppose. It all goes around.

As others have said the melody makes it unique so make it your own.

Cheers, Mick.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I had this little funky, summery progression in my head which I wanted to have a crack at trying an original track with my singer ... but I have this voice in the back of my head that it sounds vaguely familiar, and Im wondering if Im just re-hashing something subconsciously .... (not that there's anthing wrong with that of course )

Does it sound familiar to you, and if yes .... who ??

Here is short sample of couple rounds of verse, pre-chourus and chorus.... havent worked out the bridge yet but will probably throw in some flattened, darkened chords to mix it up a bit ..

cheers
GB

backing track
http://soundcloud.com/euroaussie/sum...ingie-song-wip

with vocal melody update

http://soundcloud.com/euroaussie/sum...ong-with-vocal

In answer to your question... Paul Kelly is a thriving b*stard. He admits it himself. He’s barely written anything truly original in his career.
That’s why I stopped listening to him. He’s a phoney.

So yeah. He ripped off the Allman brothers. It’s pretty clear.

Enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell