The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2020, 07:48 PM

I am just a hobbyist and been playing SA220 for fun at parties, and sometimes I use the PA to play music as well (with my home theater sub). I just sold my SA220 and was going to buy the SA300x with the sub however after realizing some additional cost - $150 for carrying case (like the one that came with SA220) and $60 for the sub pole I am considering Bose L1c (almost $400 cheaper).

How is the L1c for backing tracks or to play music (is the bass good enough)? Also - Bose L1c was announced almost 11 yrs ago; I wonder when they will get updated.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:46 AM

The L1 compact is a fine PA but it’s success depends on the room you are playing in. In smaller rooms I prefer the compact to its big brother.
Martin J40
Old 01-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Again this is much like the Fishman LBM Charge vs the Bose S1 Pro comparisons. Both of these Fishman units are tailored for high end piezo pickups and are pretty much plug & play with very little EQing needed, but you have that option. While they are ideal with top of the line mics and mic based pickups, on the Bose L1C/S1 Pro you can’t even adjust the Mid EQ (very little EQ in general depending on the channel) and there is no reverb/chorus. The Bose definitely preform better with an extra piece of equipment ala a mixer. Don’t forget Bose would have you buy one of their expensive matching mixers ($600-$800) so factor that into your comparison prices, or at least be honest and add on the cost of a decent 3rd party mixer. I don’t need the sub on the SA330x with my instrument so I much prefer that being optional and that makes for a ~25lb setup which I believe is the lightest and cheapest of the stick units that fits into a single bag.

Still though, we’re getting up there in the price range and with a few more doll hairs this new system from EV announced at NAMM may blow both the Fishman and Bose sticks out of the water. More power/volume (sometimes the Fishman/Bose just arnt enough), and a full built in digital mixer for remote EQ’ing yourself from across the room:

EV Evolve 30M https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-speaker-black

In fairness, there’s no one size fits all and you need to be honest with what you require for your specific instruments, your specific needs, and prioritize what works best for the rooms you’re actually playing. Some people can’t or don’t want to lug 50lbs+ of gear, and I’ve read of a man on here that has owned them all and just uses the SA330x nine times out of ten because it’s so darn light, has a small footprint, quick to unpack out of a single bag, and he plugs directly in without even needing to wire up a mixer. If you can handle 44lbs though that new EV Evolve 30M would handle different rooms better and you can soundcheck yourself which to me as a solo artist is invaluable.

Edit: Oh no... or this new one from Peavy https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...3-column-array

Last edited by jpino; 01-20-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:16 AM

I don't mind stretching my budget. One of the reason I was looking away from SA330 is that I would have to buy all the pieces and put them together. They don't have a package where they sell the PA, sub, expander and carrying case.

If I decide to get the L1c I will buy a used T1 tonematch as well. With a Tonematch I will be getting a lot more option than Fishman. Also I will be saving some money (Bose ~1350 vs Fishaman ~1600)

I checked out the links you sent me and they seem to be awesome. EV 30M (44 lbs) weight is manageable compared to Peavy (56.4 lbs). I think it's an oversight on EV's design that you have to plug in both extension pole to fit the speakers. In one of the videos they could not even mount the speaker because they had the sub sitting on a table (https://youtu.be/NYxY2SJyxA4?t=214). Awesome thing about Peavy is that you can split the speakers for a stereo setup.

I like the small footprint of L1c and that it has180 dispersion. I also like that I don't HAVE to use the extension pole. I mostly play at home parties and backyard parties (50-100 people). If I need more bass for playing music I guess I can always buy a Behringer sub.

Agree - there is no perfect solution. You just have to prioritize your options and compromise
Old 01-21-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schataut View Post
How is the L1c for backing tracks or to play music (is the bass good enough)?

Also - Bose L1c was announced almost 11 yrs ago; I wonder when they will get updated.
The L1-Compact works fine for canned music in a small environment, I Bluetooth my phone into my S1-Pro, then line out to the L1-Compact from time to time. However, this is not what it's designed for. If you have a large room full of drunks and you are wanting to thump this is the wrong gear.

The Bose units are designed for 1 person to use with acoustics. Period. Everybody should have their own. Effects and eq-ing are your responsibility.

I don't even think it needs an upgrade, although you know it's coming. The Fender twin is how old?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't mind stretching my budget. One of the reason I was looking away from SA330 is that I would have to buy all the pieces and put them together. They don't have a package where they sell the PA, sub, expander and carrying case.
How about this?

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/556...xoCWIEQAvD_BwE
Old 01-21-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
The Bose units are designed for 1 person to use with acoustics. Period. Everybody should have their own.
I should have my own soundman, yet here I am.

They're certainly promoted that way but it's more necessary for some types of presentations, and Bose's, than others. I know of a local duo that plays a pretty hard-driving set with an electric guitar, acoustic, two vocals and all kinds of pedal effects through a L1 Compact at large-backyard house parties and while I wouldn't recommend it, it's almost tolerable.

Another local duo with a similar setup instrument/vocal wise, though more standard rock/pop/semi-bluesy covers, uses an L1 Model II and they sound great!
Old 01-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't even think it needs an upgrade, although you know it's coming. The Fender twin is how old?
I don't know much about PA systems but I think everyone can update their line of products and offer new tech. Lot of new PA systems have apps to control their system which is quite awesome. Kodak thought no one will stop using film too Sure, Bose have signature sound but other reputable companies are offering more features in similar products.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Thanks for the link. I am doing a lot of research and found out about Yamaha stagepas 1K. The only thing I don't like about the Yamaha is how they have the EQ (not a 3-band EQ). But everything else about the stagepas looks awesome. May be I will give this a try.

Does anyone have any experience with Yamaha Stagepas 1K?
Old 01-22-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
The Bose units are designed for 1 person to use with acoustics. Period.
I use the Bose L1 Compact with my telecaster as well and it sounds great. I use a Joyo American Sound amp simulator for half of my setlists and its fantastic. I am a solo musician but its definitely not limited to only acoustic guitars.
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic

Last edited by mitcher16; 01-22-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitcher16 View Post
I use the Bose L1 Compact with my telecaster as well and it sounds great. I use a Joyo American Sound amp simulator for half of my setlists and its fantastic. I am a solo musician but its definitely not limited to only acoustic guitars.
My keyboard sounds darn good through the compact as well as my guitar.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-25-2020, 06:01 AM

I didn't mean it was limited to acoustic instruments, I use mine for canned music and all sorts of things.

I simply have no regrets for mine, just the way it is and feel sometimes quality is better than cheap gadgets, flashing lights and do dads...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-09-2020, 07:18 PM

I sold my Fishman SA220 and was in search for a replacement. I bought the Bose L1 Compact and EV Evolve 30M and borrowed my friend Bose S1 Pro and tested the hell out of them this weekend

Bose L1 compact
+ Sound dispersion is great
+ Love the ability to use 1, 2 or no extension poles
+ Very portable
+ Gets quite loud
- No effects (reverb) makes this useless for me.
- No master volume control
- No EQ for guitar and some effects would have been good (reverb/chorus)
- Playing music through it – just okay

Bose S1 Pro
+ Sound is very good (good dispersion)
+ Reverb makes the vocal sound very good
+ Bluetooth streaming – music sounds really good and really loud
+ Guitar sounds good
+ Very portable
+ Battery powered
+ Can be angled in various positions
- No single knob to control the volume / mute button
- Would have been nice to have a 3 band eq rather than 2
- Controls in the back makes it a little difficult to change settings
- A bit pricy

Evolve 30M
+ Sounds really good (although it took me a while to get the right sound)
+ Very powerful
+ Built in mixer with lot of inputs
+ Ability to control everything via an app – this is just really really really awesome
+ Bluetooth music streaming is awesome
+ Vocal sounds good (3 band EQ and reverb). I would not say it’s not the best reverb in the world, but it works. Maybe they will do a firmware update and improve the effects.
+ Guitar sounds very good too with a bit of chorus added. You can really get a good low end if you need it
+ One system with built in mixer is awesome
- I hate the fact that you HAVE to use both the extension poles. I wish they had designed in a way where you could use 1 or 2 extension poles. When I am playing at home I don’t want the speakers up so high.
- There are a lot of effects but most of them don’t sound that good and are very similar to each other.
- System is a bit heavy (relatively speaking). It’s about 45 lbs (sub is about 30 lbs) and that could be an issue for some.
- Not very cheap but if you factor in the built-in mixer maybe it’s not too bad. I got 15% off from GC so can’t complain
- Physical mute button would have been good. Every time I need to mute I have to pull out my phone and go into the app and mute. Or I need to go to Volume and turn the known 5/6 times to get to MUTE (just not convenient)

Conclusion: I am keeping the Evolve 30M and returning the Bose L1 compact. May be the L1 sounds great with a T1 / T4 Tonematch. But a T4 is amost $700 and you still don’t have the flexibility of Bluetooth streaming or control via an app. I liked the Bose S1 and I will probably end up getting that during Nov time when they have 15% off discounts. For now I am happy with the EV system.

Last edited by schataut; 03-10-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I sold my Fishman SA220 and was in search for a replacement. I bought the Bose L1 Compact and EV Evolve 30M and borrowed my friend Bose S1 Pro and tested the hell out of them this weekend

Conclusion: I am keeping the Evolve 30M and returning the Bose L1 compact. May be the L1 sounds great with a T1 / T4 Tonematch. But a T4 is amost $700 and you still don’t have the flexibility of Bluetooth streaming or control via an app. I liked the Bose S1 and I will probably end up getting that during Nov time when they have 15% off discounts. For now I am happy with the EV system.
Cool I haven't tried an Evolve yet. I had an L1C. Liked the minimalist look of it a lot. Also thought it sounded pretty good. However, I sent it back a month after getting it and replaced with the SA330x. I like onboard reverb too.

I just ordered the S1 and Yamaha Stagepas 1k today to ad some more versatility to my line up for various venues. Feels like it's time. I haven't bought any equipment since I bought the SA330x in March 2017. Looking forward to putting the S1 and 1K to work on some gigs. Depending on how I like the two new PAs after some use in the field, I might sell the Fishman or just keep all three. I've heard great things about the Evolve PA. Enjoy!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:01 PM

I use the both the S1 and the Compact. Since I don't use pickups, I knew from the start I'd need to use a mixer with the Compact. Since the mixer is there anyhow, I also use it when there are 1 or 2 others in addition. Works fine and gets unsolicited compliments. You can always hear it without it sounding loud. Please really like that. (No, I don't use it at bars.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification