The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-13-2022, 12:51 PM

Default Anyone Try the Journey First Class (FF660M)?

i saw this new(ish?) model pop up on Sweetwater and checked it out on the Journey site. none of my local stores have it at the moment. any of you try it out? from the descriptions on Sweetwater and Journey, i couldn't find any major difference between the FF660M and OF660M.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

The FF660M is larger than the OF660M (note the FF660 is close to the size of the RT660 shown below):

j.jpg

Based on the specs I've seen, the FF has a 2" wider lower bout, 1" longer total length and ~0.9" deeper body than the OF. Same scale length.

The pack for the FF is somewhat larger, and quite a bit heavier (because of the handle and wheels) than the one for the OF.

I have not seen the FF in the flesh, but I do own an OF.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-13-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:55 PM

ah, i see. so it's kind of like an RT660 with a removable neck.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm actually curious if there is much difference in sound vs the RT which I currently own.

Btw the RT already has a removable neck it is two bolts on the inside however the FF appears to have the faster / easier detach method and a better travel bag setup for when the neck is removed.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 09-13-2022, 10:15 PM

you’re absolutely correct. I’m also an RT660 owner, but I’ve never removed the neck.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPadTV View Post
you’re absolutely correct. I’m also an RT660 owner, but I’ve never removed the neck.
I have done it a couple of times now.

The gig bag that it comes with won't hold the neck and bend so I typically have placed the neck in checked baggage.

The joint is also fussy when going back together and ensuring the same neck angle. Ie I have found I needed to be careful to hold pressure on the neck downwards and monitor the alignment closely while tightening the bolts.

You of course also need to completely loosen the strings and make sure they don't unwind from the posts. I use a strap on style capo that came with my Klos for this while the overheads have the string retainer to help.

On the plus side I know the RT is a considerably lighter guitar than the OF660 and I think most of that is in the quick release joint.

Short of it is I suspect that the newer version will be considerably easier if you are frequently removing the neck and for mine I typically have only done it to get on a plane.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 09-14-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen one, yet, but that is a great (First Class) name!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber