The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Things I've learned about Emerald Guitars...

I just purchased and received my fourth Emerald guitar and wanted to share some things I've learned to benefit prospective buyers. Hopefully, others will chime in with things they've learned.

1. Emerald has an incredible number and array of options. These options tend to be pricey.

2. Paying the extra $100 for "Courier Shipping" is well worth it.

3. Emerald tone has a warm resonant quality.

4. Emerald Customer Service can be very good. I say "can be" because my experience with the couple of times that I needed to work with them they were excellent, but others have written about concerns.

5. It's possible to get hit with Customs Fees upon delivery of your Emerald.

6. Emerald is the only guitar company that includes a hand-made ceramic mug with your purchase.

7. I'd be glad to meet up with anybody who's near Charlottesville, VA and wants to play my Emerald, or my Rainsong for that matter.

8. Emerald quality control is amazing.

9. Emerald guitars are downright gorgeous.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-13-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I'm new to Emerald, and I'm planning on submitting an order for an X20 next week. Your list nicely captures my first impressions. One thing I would add is that, not only do they have a lot of options, they've done a good job of making them all very accessible so you can get a good visual of what your guitar will look like, through their online Configurator, the library of veneers, the shipping videos, etc.

And they've been very helpful in picking out a veneer. Kevin has been emailing me images of pieces shifted around in various ways.

I do wish there were other ways to vary the scale length, rather than shifted the bridge forward and aft, but there are probably practical reasons for that.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I'm new to Emerald, and I'm planning on submitting an order for an X20 next week. Your list nicely captures my first impressions. One thing I would add is that, not only do they have a lot of options, they've done a good job of making them all very accessible so you can get a good visual of what your guitar will look like, through their online Configurator, the library of veneers, the shipping videos, etc.

And they've been very helpful in picking out a veneer. Kevin has been emailing me images of pieces shifted around in various ways.

I do wish there were other ways to vary the scale length, rather than shifted the bridge forward and aft, but there are probably practical reasons for that.
You're absolutely correct, and I don't know how I omitted the newish 3D Builder which makes putting together a custom order a whole lot easier. However, what I really like is that they've made it much easier to choose a piece of raw veneer...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-13-2021, 11:20 AM
Anticipation Junkie

All very true, RP. Nice summary.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

10. Emerald's sound hole works wonderfully for us couch guitarists.

11. Whereas most guitar manufacturers hide the best wood grain on the backs of their guitars, Emeralds proudly display their beautiful grains on the front for all to see.

12. Emerald may very well be the most innovative guitar company today.

13. The contours that are built into every Emerald make it one of the most comfortable guitars to play.

14. Factory PLEKing helped make my new X20 the most playable new guitar I've ever purchased.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-13-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

On the third Emerald I bought/ordered, I asked that this guitar "gets the same good Irish mojo of the first two." That wasn't listed on the invoice, but that X10 is loaded with it. Apparently, it is like the mug: a delightful lagniappe they don't charge extra for.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

15. If you close your eyes, a plain standard Emerald plays, feels, and sounds just as good as a fancy veneered one. It is completely up to you how expensive you want to make it.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
15. If you close your eyes, a plain standard Emerald plays, feels, and sounds just as good as a fancy veneered one. It is completely up to you how expensive you want to make it.
16. Even the least costly Emerald instruments are speced out very well...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-16-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

17. If you open your eyes, an all carbon fiber weave (no veneer) Emerald is also very pretty.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:27 PM

BUT The problem with Emer.. . ouch #*&%., RP Stop elbowing me.

AS I was trying to say

The problem with Emerald is that you can't try them first or play different models at the same sitting to get a feel for their differences.

Few of us know for sure if there are differences between individual instruments in the same model because there is no place where you can get multiple X-30s, or X20s etc live in the same room. We just take other people's word for it that they are all the same.
Maybe some individual instruments sound better than others
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 11-16-2021, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrnd View Post
BUT The problem with Emer.. . ouch #*&%., RP Stop elbowing me.

AS I was trying to say

The problem with Emerald is that you can't try them first or play different models at the same sitting to get a feel for their differences.

Few of us know for sure if there are differences between individual instruments in the same model because there is no place where you can get multiple X-30s, or X20s etc live in the same room. We just take other people's word for it that they are all the same.
Maybe some individual instruments sound better than others
Of course that's true, but my point was to share things that I've learned and not to restate the obvious, Emerald has no dealers. One could use the same no dealers concern about pretty much any boutique builder. Try finding a shop that has a selection of Rockbridge or Henderson guitars...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-18-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
...Emerald has no dealers. One could use the same no dealers concern about pretty much any boutique builder. Try finding a shop that has a selection of Rockbridge or Henderson guitars...
That's a good point. I was grouping Emerald with Martin, Gibson, and Taylor and that is way off base. Emerald is over represented at this forum.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 11-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrnd View Post
That's a good point. I was grouping Emerald with Martin, Gibson, and Taylor and that is way off base. Emerald is over represented at this forum.
Over-represented?

I’d suggest it’s just a reflection of current interest levels. This is an equal opportunity sub-forum, and no boosting or repression is apparent.

It’s not a competition.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-18-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Over-represented?

I’d suggest it’s just a reflection of current interest levels. This is an equal opportunity sub-forum, and no boosting or repression is apparent.

It’s not a competition.
I never said it was?
If AGF was used to determine the most popular guitars in the world, Emerald is over represented.

...at least currently.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 11-18-2021, 08:26 PM

Emerald is a fascinating company and their popularity is well deserved in my opinion...and this is coming from someone who has yet to play one. I love how they are taking guitar building into the next generation.

Next thing you know Alistair will be revamping the tops of the next series of Emerald guitars and they will sound better than anything out there.

I dare you to doubt him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber