The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-27-2022, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyote View Post
...I'm not much of a fan of the pinless bridge at this point as I like to load the post with winds to get a good break angle and it's a challenge to keep tension on the ball end without a steeply angled crimp on the ball end...
You might search this forum for pinless bridge. There are a few ways to keep the ball end secured while winding the string. For example, you can put the ball end in, pull it snug and drop a golf tee, or something similar, into the hole to keep the ball in place. Someone also suggested putting the short end of a truss rod wrench into the hole, letting the weight of the longer handle keep the ball in place. That makes it a lot easier.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You might search this forum for pinless bridge. There are a few ways to keep the ball end secured while winding the string. For example, you can put the ball end in, pull it snug and drop a golf tee, or something similar, into the hole to keep the ball in place. Someone also suggested putting the short end of a truss rod wrench into the hole, letting the weight of the longer handle keep the ball in place. That makes it a lot easier.

That’s how I do it - I use an old IKEA wrench, but an Allen key of the correct size would work just as well.

IMG_2320.jpgIMG_2321.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-27-2022, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
That’s how I do it - I use an old IKEA wrench, but an Allen key of the correct size would work just as well...
Thanks David. I remembered that idea, just couldn't remember who did it. Think I'll try that next time. Everyone has an IKEA wrench or 100 laying around.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:31 PM

Default Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
That’s how I do it - I use an old IKEA wrench, but an Allen key of the correct size would work just as well.

Attachment 81469Attachment 81470
Thanks for sharing your idea. I'll do this on my next string change. I gotta file the saddles too in order to improve intonation on my X7. Not crazy about that . . .
Old 10-04-2022, 12:32 PM

I've been going through a bit of a string journey since my X20 arrived six months ago, and so far D'Addario EJ19s (12-56) are my favourites.

To my ancient ears, the combination of heavier bottom and lighter top strings works really well on the X20, giving a little boost to the bass but still letting the treble sing and allowing easy bends, should you be that way inclined.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
cf guitars, strings