The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM

Post Medium-Advanced Lessons DVD Recommendation?

I'm looking for a video that will "take me to the next level". Perhaps something that will be a little more technical and has strong foundations for finger picking and has some exercises on scales and on how to improvise.

I'm really not looking for one of those videos where they explain the basic chords and fingering and that is a little more advanced than the "welcome to guitar 101".... Perhaps a guitar 102 would be good

Any rec's are appreciated.

(I have a $75 budget)
Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

If you like the blues, try some of Mary Flower's DVDs @ maryflower.com. She offers blues song arrangements, fingerstyle blues in E and alternative tunings.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM

Check out Jamorama.

It is a beginners to advance course, so you can skip the beginners part. They teach stuff like palm muting, slide,arpeggios etc etc. You can get it for $50.

I like the quality of the videos. It is vey clear and easy to follow.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Incredible set of DVD's by John Miller. Opens up worlds.

Stuart

http://guitarvideos.com/video/dvd/000completedvd.htm

gw99495dvd Introduction to Chord Theory & Chord Voicing 2 DVD Set taught by John Miller $39.95
Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Hi Stuartb,

I just checked out this dvd set and it looks exactly what I am looking for. I have gone through the first part of justin guitars theory pdf (up to caged) but it just feels like theory. I really want to know how to apply it and make it work for me.

Has anyone else used these dvd's or somthing similar?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Bbk,

I was not aware or had otherwise ignored the caged system. Particularly, John Miller is so good at teaching. That said, it was beyond me by some ways when I began the DVD set.

I listened each day while on the go train, and wrote down the notes as I watched and the worked on the triads, then 7th chords, then harmonized scale using 7th chords, then 6th chords.

It is really helping me get to know the guitar. It's a long journey, but one that satisfies the soul.

I am very particular about DVD's and teaching. Take a chance on this one. These DVD's are just what the doctor ordered.

PS. The second DVD applies all of the seventh chords, and expands into 6th chords using 5 separate songs that he plays in various keys. Wonderful. Not songs that I would ultimately play in front of others, but they get to the heart of learning what needs to be learned.

Stuart
Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 AM

Thanks Stuart,

I think I may give it a shot, looks very good. I see they have an online delivery system. Shame they dont do iso downloads like justinguitar. I think I will get the hard copy.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Hello Alex,

allow me to suggest joining GuitarMasterClass.net and using their video tutorials to improve your playing skills and step up to the next level. They have really good instructors (who are also successful players in daily life) and the lessons are custom made for each level of knowledge.

The advantage of subscribing online is that you don't have to worry about ordering physical DVDs, the information is always there and you can also interact with the instructors and other subscribers of your age and/or level, sharing your experience. Clearly, you get instant access to thousands of Gbs of guitar stuff that's expanding every day.

Subscription pricing:

one month – 29$ – subscribe now and get 10$ discount!
three months – 69$
six months – 150$
one year – 228$

The good news is I have an ongoing contest on my blog (until March 22nd) where you can actually win subscriptions to GMC. All the details here:
http://www.guitaristic.net/win-6mont...armasterclass/

Good luck & rock on!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
I'm looking for a video that will "take me to the next level". Perhaps something that will be a little more technical and has strong foundations for finger picking and has some exercises on scales and on how to improvise.

I'm really not looking for one of those videos where they explain the basic chords and fingering and that is a little more advanced than the "welcome to guitar 101".... Perhaps a guitar 102 would be good

Any rec's are appreciated.

(I have a $75 budget)
Check out these clips from my DVD, "Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitar."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxSJC...eature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYJ-L...eature=related
PM me if you want more info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write