The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2019, 01:17 PM

Default So... How much do you think the electronics are worth in a $500 Yamaha?

I’m looking at 2 guitars.

A $499 A1CM and a $260 fs820, both Yamahas and both mint and both concert series.

I’ve played the A1CM and liked how it played and sounded, I’m just wondering what the differences are in tone...

The fs820 I would have to buy online and I don’t want to deal with the hassle of returning it...

What do you think? Are the electronics worth $239? Or is the A1CM a better built guitar???

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2019, 02:11 PM

If it were me, I would look at an FG-830 and have a K and K pick up put in it.
The price will be about the same as the A1CM.

Play both guitars unplugged and pick the one with the best acoustic sound.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:55 PM

The AC1M has nicer trim and a more rounded neck profile, so it's not just the electronics that explain the price difference, but they are pretty similar otherwise. That said, if you're going to plug in, spring for the AC1M. I have an A1M that I bought used as a "beater" for $250 with a hardshell case that was badly damaged and it is my go to guitar lately if I'm playing somewhere in tight quarters. It sounds pretty good with the factory pickups.

If you add electronics later, you'll eventually spend over $239 between the pickups, a preamp, body rez pedal and another preamp, oh yeah and a tuner, by the time you get a plugged in tone you like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion