The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Default NSD- Another Walker and Williams Strap- quick review

I needed a nice looking black strap for my newly acquired Taylor 910. While I was disappointed in the last W&W strap that I ordered, I chalked that experience up to a bad batch that was lingering in Amazon's system.

The QUALITY of the G-15 did not disappoint me in any way. It is as good or better than my G-13 which seems to be identical strap, but in a different color (photos below). For $29 it is a bargain.

The only puzzling thing is that the description of the strap is "Walker & Williams G-15 Black Leather Natural Texture Guitar Strap". It is not textured in any way. I actually wanted a smooth strap, but went with this one because I thought I knew what the quality would be from my G13. Again, the quality was excellent and I'm happy that it's not textured. I suppose I could make it textured by "working it" as I have with other straps, but I'm keeping this one as is. I'm back to being a Walker and Williams fan.

I'm attaching photos below so you can see what I mean about the texture. The G-13 had some texture, but was also smoother than shown below and I've uploaded a pic showing he texture after I "worked it" to get maximium texture and character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWstrap_noTexture.jpg (16.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg G-15.jpg (46.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg WalkerWilliamg_G-13.jpg (26.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg strap_texture (2).jpg (25.0 KB, 159 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-04-2019, 11:46 AM

I love W&W straps...I have 3
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 09-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Nice strap.
I have started to use a strap when I'm playing seated these days.
Much more comfortable to play now.
I have a strap for each of my guitars.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:06 PM

So did you return the defective strap you bought off Amazon to Walker & Williams and get a free straight across replacement for it, as they’ve promised to do?

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-04-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
So did you return the defective strap you bought off Amazon to Walker & Williams and get a free straight across replacement for it, as they’ve promised to do?

Wade Hampton Miller

Contact W&W directly. Other AGF members have done that and have received replacement straps.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 09-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Contact W&W directly. Other AGF members have done that and have received replacement straps.
That's what I suggested Vin do when he brought up the subject a week or so ago. I just haven't heard any followup from him whether he went ahead and traded in the defective strap for a new one.

So how about it, Vin? Did you get that taken care of?

whm
Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Wade Hampton Miller
I returned the defective one to Amazon and then bought the new one from Amazon as well. While I have dealt directly in the past with W&W (and they were great, btw) I did in fact buy from Amazon again. They offered 1 day delivery while I would have waited nearly a week for a shipment from California. While both offer easy returns, were a return needed I can just drop it off at a local nearby Kohl's department store. I don't even have to pack it up. If I had to return a strap directly I'd have to pack it, take it to the P.O. and pay for the return.

I am pretty sure that the original strap that I returned had to be from a bad batch. My G-13 and G-15 are MUCH better quality than the G-513 that I had ordered recently and returned.

I wanted to post the information of the quality of this new strap as it wouldn't be fair to have complained publicly and then not praised them equally for an excellent product. To get a better strap for $29 would be difficult. And W&W has such a wide selection.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 PM

That's great! Thanks, Vin.

I'm a huge fan of Walker & Williams' straps, and have been recommending them to folks ever since I took delivery of my first one. I also love the Levy's straps I own, and will never get rid of them, but these days Walker & Williams definitely offer the best value for the money of any of the strap manufacturers that I'm aware of.

whm
Old 09-05-2019, 02:21 AM

Any Moody fans have a chance to compare these straps? I wouldn't expect the leather to be in the same class, but close would be nice.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion