The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 11:28 PM

Default Not a Gibson fan..

....but I picked this one up at a GC on a road trip, and it was love at first strum. Ended up driving all the way home yesterday and then all the way back today to get her. There's some magic in this particular J45. This is by far the best acoustic I've played or owned, and I've had Taylor's, martins and takamines. It has a GORGEOUS walnut figured back and the sound is so sweet, balanced and crisp yet Woody.. it was actually my wife that told me I needed to have it.

Anyway, NGD!!! J45 Studio! Am I playing authentic now??

Old 08-25-2019, 11:42 PM

Looks great! Congrats! We may be in distinguished era for Gibson acoustics with domestic (black) walnut. Smart move on their part, and this wood suits their traditionally dry signature tone.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:45 PM

I keep reading about finding 'the one' with Gibson guitars.
Nice to see you found yours.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-25-2019, 11:47 PM

Listen to your wife especially when she says to buy a guitar. ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 08-26-2019, 01:38 AM

Hearty congratulations.

Pretty much the same happened to me. I'm not a Gibson fan at all, but I was recommended to try a J45 Studio just like yours last November. It was superb. It seemed alive in my hands, responding to every nuance of touch, and I knew I'd be a fool not to buy it. So I did.

It stands out - not as 'the best', but as a unique and lovable character - among my guitars. I think there's an emphasis on the top and bottom ends with a bit of a midrange scoop, but that sounds perfect for this instrument.

So three cheers for you. You have a great guitar there. Funnily enough my wife said much the same as yours. 'You really did need a Gibson,' she suggested!

Incidentally, I played a different J45 Studio on the same day (there were two in the shop), and although it was very good, I would not have bought it. So there seems to be some significant variation between individual instruments, but then that's not surprising for Gibson guitars.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
So three cheers for you. You have a great guitar there. Funnily enough my wife said much the same as yours. 'You really did need a Gibson,' she suggested!

Incidentally, I played a different J45 Studio on the same day (there were two in the shop), and although it was very good, I would not have bought it. So there seems to be some significant variation between individual instruments, but then that's not surprising for Gibson guitars.
It's not surprising with any all-solid wood acoustic guitar, really. They vary from one example to the next. That's what makes finding a really great one so rewarding!

Aaron, congratulations on your cool new guitar. I have several walnut instruments, and think it's a terrific tonewood.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-26-2019, 03:27 AM

Same thing happened to me. Picked up a new j45 studio in my local store and couldn't believe the sound. Then I looked at the amazing back. I played the other j45s there but this studio was just fantastic. I had to take it home........
Nick
Old 08-26-2019, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Nice pick up!! Chevy or Ford??[RIGHT[/RIGHT]
Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 AM

Nice.

I AM a Gibson fan and bought a walnut J-15 to go along with my Rosewood/ebony J-45.

Love the walnut.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 08-26-2019, 06:33 AM

Congrats, Aaron! But, wait a minute... no picture of the back?
Let's see that walnut!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
Hearty congratulations.

Pretty much the same happened to me. I'm not a Gibson fan at all, but I was recommended to try a J45 Studio just like yours last November. It was superb. It seemed alive in my hands, responding to every nuance of touch, and I knew I'd be a fool not to buy it. So I did.

It stands out - not as 'the best', but as a unique and lovable character - among my guitars. I think there's an emphasis on the top and bottom ends with a bit of a midrange scoop, but that sounds perfect for this instrument.

i played a number of other j45's in the store to see if i was crazy, and none of the others sounded as good! i even went to a GC close to home and tried their j45 studio they had in stock hoping i wouldnt have to drive all the way back to this specific store, and nope.. it was a dud. didnt sound or play nearly as nice. or look as nice. i suppose when you know, you know!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:31 AM

here's the back!!
Old 08-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1061 View Post

here's the back!!

Congrats on this fine instrument. You will find me here on the forum saying wonderful things about my J-45 studio as well. And like you I lucked out with an amazing sounding and looking natural version.

May you play it for years to come
Old 08-26-2019, 08:43 AM

Beautiful Guitar! I am also a Gibson Fan and believe in the J45, J50s. I also agree with poster who stated that walnut should work well with the "Gibson sound."
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 08-26-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new J-45 Aaron! What a great looking guitar! Enjoy!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion