The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-21-2018, 01:54 PM

Default Whats in your garden?

Took Thursday off and weeded the vegetable gardens. Planted onions, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, beans etc.. Bought a book on "Container Gardening" lots of good ideas. Uses self watering containers. Which is perfect for us since we don't get home until late some times. So, whats in your garden?
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Haven't the vaguest idea how those got there, Officer...

Nope. Uh-uh. No way.

Seeds must have blown in on the wind or something...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Old 04-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Just getting started now, but here is the plan. Tomatoes, snap peas, lettuce, onions, garlic, potatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, artichokes, peppers, winter squash, cabbage, beets, asparagus, carrots, kale (gets buggy though), and some flowers including sunflowers & cosmos.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

This year only zucchini, cucumbers, and peppers. It's a small spot - only about 4X20.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

We have been growing our own fruit and veg since 2004 because my grandson was interested.
Things got difficult in 2005 when my heart packed up but got re-plumbed and back to work in 2007 and rented a second plot.

Managed to plant potatoes, earlies and main crop, onions,garlic, french beans, runners, broccoli, courgettes, squash, toms, sweet peppers, aubergines, strawberries, pears and apples.

Trouble was by this time last year I was unable to eat, and am only just starting to eat properly again,so most of our crop was wasted.

Still too weak to do much, so this year is already a month late, but we'll take it easy this season - but - asparagus shot up this week and we had our first large dish of it last night. There will be even more to pick tomorrow.

Good spinach too!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Cherry tomatoes, red and yellow.
Maybe some new strawberries.
And well, this is Oregon and four plants per household...
Old 04-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Ummm...Snow still, I'm afraid.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Cherry tomatoes, red and yellow.
Maybe some new strawberries.
And well, this is Oregon and four plants per household...
I'll be right down to check out those strawberries....
Old 04-21-2018, 08:16 PM

I've never put out a garden myself, but just about all my neighbors and most of my friends do...

By the time things start coming into season, there's hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't leave a bag or basket of fresh produce at my back door...

A couple of summers ago, I was begging folks to stop leaving tomatoes, corn and zucchini ...
Old 04-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Ummm...Snow still, I'm afraid.
Ditto. It will probably be a month before we have anything worthwhile in the ground. Then it will be tomatoes, peppers, basil, eggplant and whatever else we can find. The nursery we bought from for years shut down last summer - family business with no succession - so we have some searching to do to get beyond Home Depot’s dismal lack of variety.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Seven years ago we moved into an apartment. We had a small garden on the balcony. After a few years of organic and dirt mess, caused mainly by the wind, we got rid of all live outdoor plants. We now only have a few indoor plants. My wife has a few orchids that she likes to fiddle with and they seem to last for a few years.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM

The place we moved to last fall is on a couple of acres but has a lot of deer that like to shop here so not much in the way of a garden any longer. So far they our leaving our onions alone.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:20 PM

A variety of cherry tomatoes is a focus. Not enough sun for larger tomatoes. a variety of peppers are a staple too. Lettuce, kale, okra, celery, tomatillos, and eggplant have done well the last few years as well. May try something new depending on what is available this year. We do really well with figs. Have 3 trees that do better and better every year. We have grapes too, but so far, they have mostly been food for the birds. Planted a plum tree two years ago and it looks like its doing well. Fruit isn't expected for a few years. Cherry trees have done well too. Two varieties of cherry trees. They also feed the birds. We have done a lot to feed rabbits too, and they bring the occasional fox. all good. A lot of work in front of us the next few weeks, but its nice as long as the back holds up.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
We have been growing our own fruit and veg since 2004 because my grandson was interested.
Things got difficult in 2005 when my heart packed up but got re-plumbed and back to work in 2007 and rented a second plot.

Managed to plant potatoes, earlies and main crop, onions,garlic, french beans, runners, broccoli, courgettes, squash, toms, sweet peppers, aubergines, strawberries, pears and apples.

Trouble was by this time last year I was unable to eat, and am only just starting to eat properly again,so most of our crop was wasted.

Still too weak to do much, so this year is already a month late, but we'll take it easy this season - but - asparagus shot up this week and we had our first large dish of it last night. There will be even more to pick tomorrow.

Good spinach too!
Fresh asparagus! Nice and yes we also love fresh spinach.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Just getting started now, but here is the plan. Tomatoes, snap peas, lettuce, onions, garlic, potatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, artichokes, peppers, winter squash, cabbage, beets, asparagus, carrots, kale (gets buggy though), and some flowers including sunflowers & cosmos.
Nice garden. My wife hates kale. So I make a kale pesto out of ours. Turns out good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic