The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFast View Post
I watched the first few episodes and then picked up the first book. Then I kept reading the books and found I preferred them to the show. YMMV
I've read all the books now, but haven't seen the show at all. I'm almost afraid to. The books are so good that I might be disappointed in the show.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:03 PM

Books will always be better than a show. When you read a book, you’re the director and cinematographer.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM

We enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 but Amazon wants $30 for the season in HD. We don’t have cable channels so watching it on SyFy is not possible. We’re just going to wait until it is included in Prime.

Last edited by David MacNeill; 04-23-2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-23-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
We enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 but Amazon wants $30 for the season in HD. We don’t have cable channels so watching it on SyFy is not possible. We’re just going to wait until it is included in Prime.

What? It used to be on prime a few years ago.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
What? It used to be on prime a few years ago.
I should have written that season 3 costs $30. Looks like 1 and 2 are now on Prime.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
I should have written that season 3 costs $30. Looks like 1 and 2 are now on Prime.

Ah thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
The Expanse books are much better than the show.
I love this universe! The books are AMAZING and the show's really good... all in my opinion, of course.

The Expanse has ruined all other sci-fi for me. After Daniel and Ty's world building, any time someone hits the magic 'gravity on/off' button in Star Trek/Star Wars etc... I roll my eyes. All the little things (Bobby touching helmets to communicate via vibration when coms went out on Ganymede, stowing loose items when dropping out of acceleration, explanation of spin gravity, etc...) draw me in.

Awesome show/books.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Somebody wake me up when the entire series comes to a halt, and tell me then whether it was a great one to watch.

My wife and I have been through so many frustrating ongoing series that she instituted a hard-and-fast rule for our house: NO starting any new series unless it has a defined starting AND stopping point. Think I'm kidding? I'm STILL waiting for Game of Thrones to officially end so I can start watching it.

Dirk
I did this with Lost and want my 100+ hours back after that lousy ending.

I almost did this same thing again with Breaking Bad. I started watching it live on AMC during season 5 after binge watching on Netflix and it killed me to have to wait a week for the next episode. At least that ended it the most awesome way possible.

I am currently watching Hap and Leonard on Netflix. Season one started slow but boy did it pick up steam about half way in.

I have watched the Expanse all the way and I hope the next season will be better.

If you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend Electric Dreams.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
It strikes me as odd that so many people think it's a let down from what they expected as a remake of the original Lost in Space.

Why?

I recall the original TV series as being exceedingly lame. If anything, I'd say the remake is far superior to the original.

Yeah - the remake is corny....but it's family fare and it's a heck of a lot less corny than the original.

And Dr. Smith is supposed to be someone you can hardly bare to watch.... just like the same character was on the original series. Except, in the remake, they don't make the villain into a buffoon as they did in the original.
I just finished the tenth and final episode, and I'm hooked. I certainly hope they produce a second season. I admit the acting is occasionally corny, but the back story that is being developed with respect to how and why they are colonizing Alpha Centauri, and who (or what) is trying to stop them, is really cool.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 04-24-2018, 04:36 PM

If you're unaware, Canadian bassist and guitar tech Dave Reaume ('Dave's World of Fun Stuff' on YouTube) was one of the special effects techs for the filming of that series.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m really digging it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic