The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-20-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
Some sellers use an algorithm to set prices. It tracks other sellers and as supply diminishes, price increases. Some sellers will go back and lower the price eventually, to sell the last item. Others use the high price as a place holder. If more of the same item become available for sale, they just have to lower the price, rather than relist the item.

Amazon dictates a minimum shipping rate, per item, on third party sales. Either something is a deal or it isn't. Don't fixate on what percentage of the price is "shipping". For instance, lots of used books and cds are priced at .99 or 1.99 with 3.99 shipping. The sellers are obviously using the mandatory shipping rates as part of their profit margin. So what?
Well, that's why I say "no thanks" instead of making the purchase I'm talking about items that I think are worth it at the price (let's say, a used paperback book for $5.99), and I don't mind paying $3.99 or whatever for shipping (repeat, shipping). But if I'm buying 5 copies from the same seller, who has multiple copies available, I'm not paying $20 for shipping on one package in addition to the $30 in books, which is what has happened to me before when I change the quantity of the order (that's the part where I say "no thanks" and just do without or find another seller because it's no longer a good deal). This has only occurred with some 3rd party sellers for me, not all. Shipping should be shipping, not part of the cost of the item itself.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 04-20-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Doubtful that prices like that were set by Amazon, but by the 3rd party sellers. I try to buy only the things where the orders are fufilled by Amazon. I find the prices to be fair, and I love the convenience of the fast deliveries.
Exactly. The amazing thing about Amazon pricing is how good it is, especially Prime. The third party stuff is all over the place. Amazon is a marketplace, not a store.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-21-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:21 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
Sometimes I'm just stunned at prices on Amazon. Frequently I find items where 1 unit might cost $4.65 and four units will be $20. Are Amazon customers that challenged in basic arithmetic?

Another tactic is what I call fishing for fools.
Caveat Emptor my friend

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic