The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 PM

Default Fancy Tuners - Graf vs. Alessi vs. Rodgers

I'm in the midst of another commission. My most recent build wound up with some beautiful sterling silver Rodgers tuners. They're beautiful machines, but, truthfully, they don't do much beyond what Waverly tuners do. That said, on a beautiful handmade guitar, beautiful handmade tuners feel like a nice decision.

The current build is a small body, slotted headstock guitar with a pretty modern look. The default would be Schertler tuners and I think it's a good look. However, as we have spec'd some pretty special wood, I'm thinking about a tuner upgrade.

The builder says that the Graf tuners are the best of the best - and with a price to match. He also says that the Alessi tuners are a great mix of quality, good looks, and modest upcharge.

Given the look of the instrument, I'm less excited by the look of Rodgers and Robsons. But I'm fond of the Alessi and Grafs that I have seen.

I've never played with Alessi, Graf, or Robson tuners. How do these compare to the Rodgers and Waverly experience? If you were commissioning a gem of a little guitar, which would you choose?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 PM

I think I might know who your builder is? to be honest, I'm not a "tuner head" so I'm good with anything that works well. Of course, if money isn't of an issue, it's always nice to compliment a great build with great hardware. Even people who do not appreciate/know of "Lucky Strike" Redwood and "The Tree" Quilted Mahogany, know how to appreciate my tuners when they see it.

These are photos of Grafs on a slot head. There are of course several different engraving options to go by too which you can find on his website.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 AM

I would add Schellers to the list. Very well engineered with some modern looks. http://www.gitarrenmechaniken.de/engl/index.html Check out the EOS style on the news page.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
I'm in the midst of another commission. My most recent build wound up with some beautiful sterling silver Rodgers tuners. They're beautiful machines, but, truthfully, they don't do much beyond what Waverly tuners do. That said, on a beautiful handmade guitar, beautiful handmade tuners feel like a nice decision.

The current build is a small body, slotted headstock guitar with a pretty modern look. The default would be Schertler tuners and I think it's a good look. However, as we have spec'd some pretty special wood, I'm thinking about a tuner upgrade.

The builder says that the Graf tuners are the best of the best - and with a price to match. He also says that the Alessi tuners are a great mix of quality, good looks, and modest upcharge.

Given the look of the instrument, I'm less excited by the look of Rodgers and Robsons. But I'm fond of the Alessi and Grafs that I have seen.

I've never played with Alessi, Graf, or Robson tuners. How do these compare to the Rodgers and Waverly experience? If you were commissioning a gem of a little guitar, which would you choose?

Thanks in advance for the help!
I beg to differ , I have found my Rodgers tuners to be in a whole different class to Waverley's.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:36 AM

As a Brit, I've got to recommend Robson. http://www.robsontuners.com/
Old 03-08-2017, 04:46 AM

I've owned classical guitars with all three brands you mentioned. The Rodgers tuners had a smoother, more consistent feel. So much so I spec'd them on custom builds exclusively over the years. If you don't care for the aesthetics, you can select from several different button shapes and materials. I always preferred their Kidney shape or mother of pearl. I have also owned a guitar with snakewood which gave the instrument a very unique look.

Just one man's opinion.

Cincy
Old 03-08-2017, 04:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Klaus Scheller makes the best tuners I know. I put Alessi on my guitars as a standard and they are also great tuners but not as smooth as Scheller tuners.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I have 5 guitars with Rodgers tuners so I think I know them well. What I like about working with Rob is his absolute reliability of delivery and the quality or what he delivers. He also is quite flexible to work with clients on custom inlay.

I also have a set of Keith Robson's tuners on a flat top. They look beautiful, but they do not operate as smoothly (more tightness than backlash) as my Rodgers. Keith has had past "issues" with delivery as well. In fact the set I have were ordered by my luthier for a prior client's commission. Keith delivered them a year after the guitar was complete and they where in his shop when my commission came along.

I have no experience with tuners from Nicolo Alessi or Jorg Graf, but both are supposed to make great tuners. Luthiers whom I respect have had great experiences with both makers.

From what I know of the high-end tuners market ALL are capable of delivering fantastic tuners BUT (key word) not always when you need them or not without issues requiring remediation. Lastly, it may in the end come down to which tuner style integrates with your guitar the best? For example, my most recent commission with Bruce Sexauer is a very traditional Nazareth looking guitar. I chose Waverly tuners but had custom buttons made for them. For that project, Rodgers just would not have looked correct IMO.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:51 AM

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. Marcus has indeed hit the nail on the head and my impending guitar will wear that exact headstock - it's a Michaud O-R.

So, with that aesthetic information in mind, what would you suggest?

Personally, I like the look of those Grafs (but they do cost a princely sum). While it's not necessarily an either/or proposition, I'm also considering a Karura/Hoffee case upgrade, so the prospect of a slightly more economical tuner upgrade has appeal.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Music soothes the soul!

After some careful research I decided on a set from Alessi for my current build with Kinnaird.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
Personally, I like the look of those Grafs (but they do cost a princely sum). While it's not necessarily an either/or proposition, I'm also considering a Karura/Hoffee case upgrade, so the prospect of a slightly more economical tuner upgrade has appeal.
I'd personally upgrade case over tuners any day, but that's just me! But depending on how much you have into this guitar and your budget, maybe the answer is both.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Rodgers Single Gear Units with simplified shafts, short style pips, different engravings and ebony and black MOP buttons.

Rodgers Three on a Plate Tuners with ornate shafts, long style pips, different engravings with ebony and snakewood buttons.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:47 PM

Most of the high-end tuners have a Baroque design that to my eye is not at all suited to a steel-string guitar. Rodgers can be simplified enough to work aesthetically.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

I've never used any of these tuners, so forgive the ignorance.

Can a small shop, especially one that prides itself on hand made parts, really rival the precision German or Japanese engineering you get from Gotoh and comparable manufacturers?

I'm not talking about the buttons, just the parts that really matter in terms of operating the tuners precisely over the long term.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Juston and I had issues With backlash on Alessis, but segniore Alessi was more than happy to replace at no cost to me another set of hand carved tuners, which are absolutely exquisite. That said, I've never heard a bad word said on Graf ♏️or Rodgers, other than they're a little hard with which to get in contact, and. RM[URL=http://s393.photobucket.com/user/matthewpartrick/media/IMG_0072.jpg.html][IMG]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/matthewpartrick/IMG_0072.jpg[/I㊙️🚳🚳

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop