The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Post Mooradian or Blue heron ?

I'm looking for light and protective gigbag, for my Collings OM2H.

Mooradian(classic guitar size) and Blue Heron is my choice now.

Which is better?

Tell me your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Masato
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 AM

Masato, I don't have personal experience with either brand, (though I've heard good things about the Blue Heron bags.) So I can't answer your "which is better?" question.

What I do have personal experience with is trying to fit OM and Triple O-sized guitars into classical guitar gigbags.

Sometimes these mid-sized guitars can be squeezed into gigbags intended for classical guitars, sometimes they can't. In neither circumstance is it ever ideal. You need a slightly bigger bag.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks for GOOD advice!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM

I have a travel Lite guitar case for my HD-28 custom. With arthritic hands, a 5 ply OHSC is hard enough to carry. The Travel Lite is odd looking, but is far more protection than a gig bag for a good guitar. Guitar and case weigh much less than just the OHSC. Just MHO on cases.
Washburn Cumberland
Godin 5th Avenue
Some Others
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM

Thanks.
Can you tell me link?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:22 PM

I have a Reunion Blues Continental Classical Size Bag that fits my Martin OM28v and my Martin 00017s (12 fret) perfectly. My impression from a recent thread re the Mono brand equivalent is that it is about an inch smaller across the lower bout. Makes sense to me to measure the lower bout of your guitar and see which of these bags is best for you. Can't tell you about the Mooradians as I havent found one locally to check out for myself. I think the Blue Herons can be made to your specs but may not offer quite as much protection. Never seen a Blue Heron in person, but that is my impression from what others have said in similar threads. They are supposed to be very good bags though.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM

I have a Blue Heron and it's very nice, get the accessory pocket. I don't know about the other brand... The Blue Heron will be made to order to the dimensions of the guitar and the folks there are real nice to deal with.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanks.
Blue Heron looks really nice with cool NECK POUCH.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

long term blue heron fan and multiple gigbag owner here. i've tried'm all and keep coming back to blue heron. just an outstanding gigbag made by two outstanding individuals.

i've tried the Reunion Blues models-too large and puffy for my personal taste.
i like Mono bags, but wish they used larger, smoother zippers.

definitely get the neck pouch. you can get custom colors-such as all of mine, there is a small upcharge-used to be $25 but may be more now. the bags design allow you to fit a lot of different shapes and it still be a glove fit with easy in and out. the big thing i like is the top unzips so it lays totally out of the way.
the big outside pocket can be made flat to the top or have some space-i have it both ways, neither is better-just different-course you can carry more in the bag that is not flat sewn to the top.
** a suggestion i would make is ask them to locate the single handle on the side about 2" forward-the bag will balance better if you hand carry. neat thing is you can hook the carry strap many different ways to suit your style of carry.

a huge plus is how smooth everything works-for me thats a big seller. the zippers always open/close easy and smooth, the top opens easy and smooth and gets out of the way, the instrument can be put in or taken out, easy and smooth. some gigbags mess with your tuners and will cause them to move while trying to manipulate the instrument in or out.

if you order-measure carefully, they will build exact to your specs you list. i always allow a 2" extra length at the headstock for ease of entry and egress.

i'll try to find some of my old reviews of them and post here for you.

d

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...+heron+gigbags

the next review shows the "coffee" and Khaki colors. Both fit Martin 000/OM or classical/flamenco style guitars perfect.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...eheron+gigbags

Last edited by darylcrisp; 07-19-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks! for great imformation!

<** a suggestion i would make is ask them to locate the single handle on the side about 2" forward-the bag will balance better if you hand carry. >

Did you try it?
Was it successful?

(oops, sorry dude, i did not edit your post, hit the wrong button for the "quote" function)

Last edited by darylcrisp; 07-19-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: late night, wrong button hit-my bad, no edit
Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masato View Post
Thanks! for great imformation!

<** a suggestion i would make is ask them to locate the single handle on the side about 2" forward-the bag will balance better if you hand carry. >

Did you try it?
Was it successful?
we have 4 blue herons. the first one-a standard OM bag(the dark brown-Coffee) had the stock handle placement. it works but i felt it did not balance correct-they've built a ton of bags for 2 decades and have a healthy bluegrass crowd buying their goods so they know what they are doing. the guitar-martin OMJM is not an unbalanced guitar(as in neck heavy). it carried level, i prefer my bag to carry with the neck up slightly, it feels more weightless to me.
the next 3 bags(after i carefully measured using many hardbags and other gigbags that i like) i requested the handle be moved forward 2 full inches. all three work great-all three carry different size guitars(taylor 816, taylor GA, Flamenco which is very light weight).

d
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 PM

Thanks a lot!

By the way, I asked Ken but they don't do custom color now.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 PM

another gig bag user here... I have owned Reunion Blues (original), Mono, Levys, Access, TKL, Mono, Protec, Bodyglove, Incase, and Glenn Cronkhite bags.

of the two you mention, I would definitely go with the Blue Heron.

I would also highly recommend the Glenn Cronkhite bags. I have one of his bags for my #1 Lowden and it is the best bag I have ever owned. Like the Blue Herons, Cronkhites are custom made for your guitar and will fit perfectly. The design and features are different between those two companies so pick the one of those two that fits your preferences and know you're getting a great, well made bag.
that's me on guitar
Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 PM

Thank you very much!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustc guitar, collings, gigbag, guitar case, martin 000