The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: What is your favorite tone wood?
Hawiian Koa 22 20.00%
Claro Walnut 3 2.73%
Ovangkol 7 6.36%
Mahogany 13 11.82%
Brazilian Rosewood 16 14.55%
East Indian Rosewood 28 25.45%
Big Leaf Maple 13 11.82%
Sapele 2 1.82%
Imbuia 1 0.91%
Cocobolo 5 4.55%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2001, 12:09 PM

buddiesorg,

So true. That is why I said "all things being equal" in my last post. I mean if you have great Brazilian Rosewood and put it on a guitar made like a 1960 silvertone, well, you can only expect it to sound so nice I think. When it comes down to it, Brazilian was a wood of choice for manny, many, many years by luthiers everywhere. There was a reason for that. That being said, it is nice to have seen so much energy and time put into finding other "really nice" tonewoods. The outcome has been some really fine guitars, as Taylor owners and others have found out. They just "aint" Brazilian .

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 12-31-2001, 12:22 PM

I agree with both Lonesome Picker and Buddiesorg. And I can tell you, I've owned many Taylors, including a K14C posted in the gallery here. As wonderful as the Koa was, I've had three Brazilians that have all bested anything out there. Warmth, presence, and with an Englemann top...a wonderful top-end sparkle!
I suppose if one hasn't had that, they don't know the difference.
Bottom line is, when a guitar speaks to you, and you bond...it's a beautiful thing!
Old 12-31-2001, 01:05 PM

Excellent point. I have never owned anything beside mahogany and koa so I suppose my opinion is limited. That didn't stop me from voting though!
Old 12-31-2001, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonesome Picker
Taylorman,

What I think we have here are guitarists who are happy with the tonewood they have, or have ownded in the past. If you have never owned or played (extensively) a high-end guitar in Brazilian, you really can't respond effectively. I think the poll reflects the tastes of the guitars currently used or maybe 'tasted'. East Indian is a nice tonewood, but "I knew Brazilian, and East Indian is no Brazilian"!

Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)

Ron, that is your opinion. I guess I don't appreciate your insinuation that because I don't own a Brazillian that I (or anyone else for that matter) don't know what I am talking about. It's very nice that you own a Brazillian and that you love it so. However, I prefer Koa and Indian Rosewood to the Brazilians that I have played. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Please don't discredit others and their preferences because you have another preference. You come off sounding a bit snobbish. I love my koas and my EI Rosewoods as you do your Brazillian. Please respect that!

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge

"Birds sing after a storm, why shouldn't we?"
Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy (1890 - 1995)
Old 12-31-2001, 04:23 PM

What a beautiful thing it is to see people so passionate about their wood!
Ok, c'mon kids....play nice!
Old 12-31-2001, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Hey Taylorman,
All of us who prefer Koa and East Indian rosewood will be happy to consider your gorgeous Brazillian Presentation and compare it fairly to ours. Just pack it up securely and send it to Jacksonville, FL. I'll be happy to be the first one to give it an objective listen to see what I'm missing

hehe, hey what are friends for??

Lisa
Old 01-01-2002, 02:08 AM

You're right...that's the least I can do!
It's on it's way! NOT!
Old 01-01-2002, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

I didn't think you'd go for that, but hey who can blame a gal for askin'???
Lisa
Old 01-01-2002, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian Koa
JW might not be happy because there is not Cocobolo choice on there. It was a tough call between Koa and BZ RW
While I love the Cocobolo,my #1 is KOA #2 is tied between Cocobolo and Brazilian. MY 910 Is so good now its the best sounding dread I own but in all fairness I have to wonder how good a full body no electronics Cocobolo would sound. The Cocobolo is just an awesome wood. I think its very close to brazilian in beauty and sound. My 910B is a presentation grade guitar with the very best wood my 710CE-LTD is "Off the rack"(never been on the rack but you know what I mean.) and sounds almost as good. Im looking for Taylor to build a regular line of Cocobolo guitars but I hope they have the insight to remember that not everybody wants electronics in their guitars. Some of us just play for the love of it and dont need electronics in every guitar, and some guitarist dont ever play below the 12th fret and dont want a cutaway. It breaks my heart to se almost every guitar come from Taylor "CE". For just everyday play my 510 works great. How about a 710 Cocobolo with Engalmann top for an everyday guitar? The sound of Brazilian, the price of Mahogany? Unmatched beauty, How could it fail? Id be first in line. JW
Old 01-01-2002, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Hey JW,
What do you think of the cocobolo GA's? I haven't gotten to play a single one and wondered if you think this tonewood is as good for the GA as it is for the dred?
Lisa
PS I agree, not everyone wants or needs CE, it's nice to be able to choose
Old 01-01-2002, 06:30 AM

And one more thing I own guitars (Taylors) made from every wood in the poll and while Koa is my all time Favorite, sometimes mood dictates which wood or guitar is best. I have a 914C and a 714CE both made from EI rosewood. I love both of them. While my most expensive acoustic I own at the present is my 910B its taken almost a year to get it right and beleive it or not Ive got a 310K that sounds almost as good. Sometimes it just has to do with what you play and how you play as tho which wood is better. My opinion is Brazilian is way to over rated and a simple wood like Ovangkol is way under rated. I think each wood has its unique features but Brazilian just cost more because its rare and cost doesnt always make something better. I think more comes from the build of the guitar than the wood. Just like Id rather have a saple 355 than any other 12 string from any other maker, and from any other wood(other than Taylor). Its in the build. Id much rather have some of the excellant EI rosewood than some of the 8xxLTDs. Brazilian may be "the granddaddy of all tone woods" but grandpa aint what he used to be(myself included) and some new kids are coming up to bat. My 310CELTD is a prime exampe. JW
Old 01-01-2002, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by taylorsmitten
Hey JW,
What do you think of the cocobolo GA's? I haven't gotten to play a single one and wondered if you think this tonewood is as good for the GA as it is for the dred?
Lisa
PS I agree, not everyone wants or needs CE, it's nice to be able to choose
Of the ones Ive played NO but the ones Ive played had cedar tops. I love cedar tops but these two woods just dont hit it off in the ones Ive played. I do however hold out enough hope that I ordered a GA in Cocobolo and Engalmann(no electronics) and hope it sounds great. I think the Cocobolo is super in the dread. One of the best bang for the buck high end guitars out there. I just wish it didnt have that big hole in the side. Only months old and already obsolete. Im thinking of having a sterling plate made to cover up that hole. I dont think the dreads sold near as fast as the GAs in Cocobolo as I hear of many around. The GA is more popular(for me as well) but those that pass on the Cocobolo dreads are missing the boat on a super guitar at a great price. My 2 cents
Old 01-01-2002, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

hmmm. that's weird that the cedar/cocobolo combo is lacking.

Like you, I love the cedar/EIrosewood 714CE
I can't go the dred, too big for my body, boohoo

Well, let us know how you like the englemann/coco combo, sounds yummy.

I like your frankness JW, and you sure ain't no snob.
Ovangkol is a great wood isn't it?
Let's not go there, I feel TAS setting in.

Lisa
Old 01-01-2002, 09:50 AM

I can't wait for Taylor to introduce their Dogwood back and sides, with an Evergreen top!

Old 01-01-2002, 01:36 PM

You know there is another nice tonewood not on the list. Striped Ebony is nice and has some great tonal characteristics. Breedlove has used it on some of their models.

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification