The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Default Archtop acoustic?

I've been looking into buying an archtop acoustic, i don't have much money though, I was looking into things similar to the Gibson L5 http://derekjamesmusic.com/gibson_l-5(full).gif

I also found this company who i had never heard of before who make very similar well crafted, hand sanded, with nitrocellulose lacquer.
Like so:http://www.theloar.com/LH-600-VS.html

I was just wondering if anybody else had any suggestions? I don't mind old, new, vintage. But it can't be too much money!

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Godin 5th Avenue.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 AM

I played a solid wood Loar, I think it was a 650, over the weekend at Gryphon in Palo Alto and I was really knocked out. It was a great guitar. Much more lively acoustically than the ply Godin's that I've played. I actually like the Godin's too BTW.

I've been playing acoustic archtops for the last 20 years, from plywood Kay's to high end modern luthiers'. I've owned about 20 different Epi's, Guilds, Gibsons, and others and played countless others. My current stable includes two L-5's and a beautiful modern guitar made by Bryant Trenier. There are some photos and sound clips on my (pretty lame) website.

I hope you make the plunge. IMO archtops stand out from the crowd in many ways. It's a great journey.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

About 2 months ago I scored a Harmony Archtone 1964 vintage at a pawn shop for a Franklin, a Jackson and a Hamilton. Cheap but good.

Last edited by grampa; 04-20-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM

The fun is in the hunt: vintage Gibson L-50 or L-48. If you don't mind laminates, post-war ES 125 or ES 150.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM

The Gibson L-5 is a great archtop. It’s also is somewhat collectable so you’d also be paying for collectability. There are also many not so collectable Gibson models. If you like a vintage (not sure exactly how a guitar qualifies as vintage) older Gibson archtop, there are less expensive players than the L-5. I have a 1954 L-50, a smaller version of the L-5, all solid wood, not collectable, but I bought it in great shape for a little over what they are asking for the Loar in your link. Peruse eBay for Gibson archtops and you’ll get a feel for the market.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Godin 5th Avenue.
I've owned a few and played many acoustic archtops, and I must say that I couldn't disagree more. I think the Godin 5th Avenue is really cool for the price, and for what it is, but an acoustic archtop it is not (even if they do sell it without a pickup). It would never be able to hang in any kind of an ensemble situation without amplification.

I've heard varying reports on The Loar. If you want an extremely nice Chinese instrument, find a used Eastman. I've owned two Eastmans now and they are top notch. Used ones are a steal.

Lots of vintage instruments are in the "affordable" category. Search for a Gibson L-50 - they can be had for just over a grand and have a carved spruce top.

EDIT - I see B Chas already beat me to the punch on the L-50. Listen to him, the man knows what he's talking about!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:14 PM

I have one of The Loar archtops, the LH-650. It's a very good reasonably priced all solid wood archtop. Tone is just what I expected from a carved archtop. I have seen varying reviews of their fit and finish... fortunately I got a good one. Only gripe I have is the placement of the volume knob on the pickguard... it gets in the way sometimes. The pickups are pretty good IMO.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks guys a lot of great suggestions, i looked at the ones you all suggested and they are all without a doubt beautiful guitars, but i am more looking for a slightly more cheaper option, more around the price range of The Loar archtops, but obviously i want something with decent tone, nice action and that plays well.

I don't know am i looking for two separate things here? Is it possible to find a good quality archtop for a reasonable price? Or is this a pipe dream, i mean if i want quality do i need to splash out for the vintage ones?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 PM

I wholeheartedly recommend the Loar. Like others have said, quality can vary quite a bit so it helps if you can play them first.

OTOH, all my years of looking for continually more costly (!) inexpensive archtops did not really end until my first L-5. From then on the search was greatly simplified: more L-5's.

Well not really, because I enjoy a range of archtop tones. But still, the L-5 has the tone I was always searching for. Just sayin', don't ever give up.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

not sure if this is what you want, i think its more what i would call an acoustic electric, but my father-in-law brought a Gibson ES137 to me about 3 weeks ago to sell. I haven't had time to check it out(as in plug it in and check all the functions) or take pictures, its gold on the top and at a quick glance appears to be in fine condition-appears to be an original case and such.
I hope to take some pics this weekend and have them ready to post next week. Don't have a clue what its value is in the used department.

oh yea, its heavy, real heavy, that i know.

Jim at GuitarRodeo sells some archtop guitars-not sure of the brand or cost-i am totally naive of these instruments.

d
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlikehouse View Post
Thanks guys a lot of great suggestions, i looked at the ones you all suggested and they are all without a doubt beautiful guitars, but i am more looking for a slightly more cheaper option, more around the price range of The Loar archtops, but obviously i want something with decent tone, nice action and that plays well.

I don't know am i looking for two separate things here? Is it possible to find a good quality archtop for a reasonable price? Or is this a pipe dream, i mean if i want quality do i need to splash out for the vintage ones?
If on a tight budget (as I always am), the Godin 5th Avenue is hard to beat for the money. Do a You Tube search on them as you will get alot of hits to hear it.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 AM

Yamaha AEX1500
Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
Yamaha AEX1500
If one can be had for the OP's budget get me one also!
I have (not selling) a Harmony Broadway that sounds like the thing you want. Neck angle is everything on the old stuff.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlikehouse View Post
You haven't said what your budget is. "Reasonable" means many things to many people. "Reasonable" in the acoustic archtop world is $2-5k but that doesn't mean reasonable to your budget.

It sounds like you are in the $1k range (can we talk about price ranges?) and want an L5-type guitar. To me 16" non-cutaways sound very specific. The Loar is a no-brainer for that. I wrote a long-winded love letter about the LH-700, so will not rehash. There is no solid carved L5-ish guitar in that price range other than the Loar.

For a few dollars less the Gretsch G100 is very nice. It is laminate but has a very punchy, loud acoustic sound. It doesn't have the depth of the Loar but it still sounds fantastic. The Godin 5th avenue didn't sound great to me. I owned the G100 for awhile and really loved the sound an playability. I only sold it to get the cutaway version, but got distracted. You would need to get a level and recrown, bridge and nut adjustment, and put some heavy acoustic strings on it, but it is still a fantastic value.

Old Harmonys, Kays, Hofners, etc. are also a killer value, but can be a very dicey gamble. 80% of the time the guitar needs a neck reset (if it wasn't already done) which is going to double your initial investment and not really make it a good value. At any rate, if you can actually go and play it in person, and verify the frets and neck are in good condition, it can be a good way to go. The quality and condition of those instruments is all over the map, so do not buy one remotely. Take it from someone who has bought 3 and had to overhaul them. There is a very nice Old Kraftsman (Kay-made) local to me that would be an insane value for someone since it has already been reset.

If you are buying new, and want an L5, the Loar is going to make you happy.

Last edited by Polishbroadcast; 05-03-2011 at 10:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops