The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Archtop acoustic guitar:Loar LH 350 or Gretsch G 100 ?

I am thinking about purchasing an acoustic archtop at a reasonable price, new. After much search, I found two models that seem to be decent acoustically and have similar prices:
the Gretsch G 100 and the Loar LH 350 (OK, this one has a pick up, but they say it has a good acoustic sound).
Any opinion ? I know already that many will suggest to consider the Godin 5th Avenue, but in all honesty the three that I have played in two different shops sounded very tinny to me.
One last question: would you recommend flatwound or roundwound strings when you play an archtop acoustically ?
Thanks !
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 AM

I haven't played either one of the models you are considering so I can't comment on that. Though I have owned a couple of 'The Loar' mandolins and am absolutely in love with them. So you can probably see where my bias lies if I have to choose between them

As for the question of flatwounds vs roundwounds, I personally don't think there is a necessarily a standard choice when using them on archtops. I suspect you will have plenty of people who'd recommend going with flatwounds, with just as many others suggest you should go the other way. I would recommend that once you decide on the guitar and pull the trigger, get a set of each and try them on to see which one sounds better to you. I did that recently on my Loar mandolin. Even though I am a firm believer of flatwounds, I surprised myself after A/B'ing both and found that the roundwounds actually sound better on the Loar. So that's what it is strung with now.

Good luck!

Last edited by barrangatan; 08-12-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I played the Loar. It looks fantastic but the tone and playbility gets a 5 or 6 out of 10 with me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops