The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Default Loop Station?

Anyone have a good recommendation for a looping station I can add to my pedalboard?

The other guitarist in my band...well...he's not very good. He's also the lead singer, and he's a good singer and writer, but definitely more of a singer than a guitar player and doesn't seem to be too concerned with becoming a better guitar player. He's just kind of a sloppy and lazy strummer, and he won't play anything but the acoustic guitar. Over the 2 years I've played with the band I still haven't been able to coax him into playing the rhythm parts with the attack, clarity, and gusto I'd like to hear backing and accenting the leads. We have many songs that are definitely acoustic songs, but some parts (to my ears) just need to have a clear electric backing them, rather than a sloppy acoustic.

So I'm just thinking of getting some kind of looping/sampler type station I can use on stage to track my own rhythm parts. Does anyone know of a good one out there I can use to sample and save my own rhythm tracks, as well as punch in and out loops in live situations? I'm definitely going to do my own research as well, but I always like to pick the AGFer's brains first to point me in the right direction. Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Did you see my brief review in a previous thread?

The Digitech JamMan offers virtually unlimited loops and recording time, is easy to use, includes a metronome, etc.

jack
Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I looked at both the JamMan and the Boss RC-20XL. I ended up getting the Boss (and have since sold it because I'm just not that coordinated) only because I didn't ever plan to save loops. I could be wrong but that seemed to be the biggest difference between the 2.

The JamMan stores loops on little memory cards so theoretically you could have all of your loops pre-recorded and stored on the cards.

Matt
Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 AM

I use an RC20-XL with the duo I play in so I can lay down a backing and solo to give the sax player a rest and to add some variation. This works really well.

I had the pedal at a rehearsal we did with a full band and it was not so successful. A loop pedal was strictly on the money, the drummer was not, even though his a great drummer and time keeper. If you want to use it with a band, the drummer will need to hear the loop very clearly (perhaps via headphones) to ensure he (or she) keeps the time right.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I looked at both the JamMan and the Boss RC-20XL.......I could be wrong but that seemed to be the biggest difference between the 2. Matt
The general layout is very similar but the differences are significant.

Loops: JamMan 99 loops, + can store infinite number via USB to computer, RC-20 11 loops (depending on available storage) and no USB

Max Recording Time: JamMan 6-1/2 hours, RC-20 16 minutes

Storage: JamMan uses compact flash card removable media, can be archived, read/written using computer, RC-20XL uses internal storage, no removable media.

Connections: JamMan includes XLR for dynamic mics, RC-20XL does not, JamMan output compatible with headphones, RC-20XL I believe, not.

Power supply: JamMan includes power supply, RC-20XL not. RC-20 runs on batteries, JamMan, not.

Though arguable, the $35 JamMan external 3-switch option in one enclosure is slightly less troublesome than the Boss/Roland solution of purchasing and setting up multiple, separate $30 Boss FS5U switches.

Jack
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 AM

I am completely satisfied with my JamMan, and I'll admit the optional switch pedal helps that satisfaction. I chose it because of the memory card aspect and it seemed reasonably easy to figure out when compared to some others available to try in stores.

I do believe Line 6 announced a machine that may surpass the popular Boss and Digitech models but don't know more than that.

The memory card storage is particularly nice because I copy jam tracks from my iPod to the machine.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM

I am a Line 6 nut (POD XTL, two TonePort UX-2s, Gold Package), but the new Line 6 looper does not offer the loop/recording time of the JamMan.

However, it does provide amp/cabinet modeling with tons of presets, but none of which are useful for acoustic guitar.

Jack
Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
I am a Line 6 nut (POD XTL, two TonePort UX-2s, Gold Package), but the new Line 6 looper does not offer the loop/recording time of the JamMan.

Jack
Actually, it does. It can record up to 24 minutes on its internal memory, and up to 6.5 hours on an additional 2Gb SD card.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 PM

I too have been looking @ a looper...I was all set for the Line6 (seemed like a great practice tool with the models), but my understanding (I may be wrong) is that it does NOT save loops. In other words, you can't have different sections of a song (verse, chorus, fills, etc.) saved and call them up during a song. It's more of a "sound on sound" recorder. At least that's what I gathered from some folks @ the Line6 forum...

But again, I may be wrong...I'd love to be actually

Jackstrat - have you used the JamMan with headphones? That's something I was looking for. I want to be able to run my rig with the looper last and practice with headphones.

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
Fernandes late 80's strat
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby

Last edited by sbruce; 10-02-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Red face

Whoops, my mistake!!!

The Line 6 looper can store 100 cd-quality loops upto 6.5 hours using the optional 2GB SD card.

http://line6.com/jm4looper/specs.html

jack
Old 10-02-2008, 03:31 PM

I thought the new line 6 looper would be the best only two reviews on Harmony Central. Anyone happy with theirs. I like the idea of all the presets since I do not have a pod product now.
Steve

Last edited by Doubleneck; 10-02-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Can you use either the line 6 or Jamman with the Digitech RP250 multi effects pedal.If so,how would you hook it up.thanks
Scot
Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whoops, my mistake!!!
No problem - us Line 6 nuts have to stick together
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-03-2008, 07:49 AM

In reply to the headphone question, yes I use it with headphones. It works fine with headphones, designed for it, however:

1. I find the volume to be on the low side
2. It is a mono signal to the left/right sides, so there is no spatial effect if you know what I mean, it is a plain jane signal.

In reply to connecting to a MFX pedal, you can connect the looper in various ways:

1. Pedal out-> JamMan in -> JamMan out -> Amplifier

2. Pedal out-> mixer line #x in -> Aux/Effect send -> JamMan in -> JamMan out -> Mixer Aux/Effect Return

3. Pedal out-> mixer line #x in -> Aux/Effect send -> JamMan in -> JamMan out -> mixer line #x in

4. Pedal out-> amp -> Amp Aux/Effect send -> JamMan in -> JamMan out - Amp Aux/Effect Return

Have tried / tested all of the above and they all work fine. Initially I had some difficulty with the amp send/return distorting the JamMan, but that does not seem to be a problem now. Not sure what I did wrong initially.

DCopper mentioned #2 and that is what I am currently using. It offers the most flexibility and control especially if you have lots of input sources (effects, guitar synth, voice harmonizer, band members, etc.). Originally, I summed all of the inputs using a $20 Behringer 4 channel mixer. It works, but DCopper's suggestion again is the way to go if you can afford a $50-$60 mixer (I am using a Behringer, but ordered a $60 Tapco since I need the Behringer for other purposes.)

Jack
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
In reply to the headphone question, yes I use it with headphones. It works fine with headphones, designed for it, however:

1. I find the volume to be on the low side
2. It is a mono signal to the left/right sides, so there is no spatial effect if you know what I mean, it is a plain jane signal.

In reply to connecting to a MFX pedal, you can connect the looper in various ways:

1. Pedal out-> JamMan in -> JamMan out -> Amplifier

2. Pedal out-> mixer line #x in -> Aux/Effect send -> JamMan in -> JamMan out -> Mixer Aux/Effect Return

3. Pedal out-> mixer line #x in -> Aux/Effect send -> JamMan in -> JamMan out -> mixer line #x in

4. Pedal out-> amp -> Amp Aux/Effect send -> JamMan in -> JamMan out - Amp Aux/Effect Return

Have tried / tested all of the above and they all work fine. Initially I had some difficulty with the amp send/return distorting the JamMan, but that does not seem to be a problem now. Not sure what I did wrong initially.

DCopper mentioned #2 and that is what I am currently using. It offers the most flexibility and control especially if you have lots of input sources (effects, guitar synth, voice harmonizer, band members, etc.). Originally, I summed all of the inputs using a $20 Behringer 4 channel mixer. It works, but DCopper's suggestion again is the way to go if you can afford a $50-$60 mixer (I am using a Behringer, but ordered a $60 Tapco since I need the Behringer for other purposes.)

Jack

Thank you Jack,that's exactly what I was looking for.
Scot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification