The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Crust View Post
Jim........That recording David and Mike handed you as you were headed out the door was a rough amalgimation of all the recording sources from the concert. I was back at Studio Joe last night and Mike was playing with it.......blending the DI with the overheads that were picking up the Bose, and the stereo mic you were playing in to...........I really think you are going to be impressed with what comes out of this. Good luck on the rest of the tour!
Hmmmm... could the next Tozier CD be a live one?
Spotify

FOR SALE:
2011 Cordoba F-10
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 07-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I am sure Todd will post some pictures from Jim's show last night in Midland, but in the meantime let me just say that Jim Tozier is a world class talent. Having enjoyed his CD's over the years I suspected as much but enjoying his masterful fret work up close and personal was every bit the treat I thought it would be... two words describe his fretboard prowess - delightful and inspiring!
This man deserves a world stage and I truly hope someday he will be recognized on a level akin to his sublime talent. His talent is enhanced by the fact that he is a extremely approachable, amiable individual whose humility makes him that much more endearing. Given the fact that this is a guy who is a full time teacher and family man, his accomplishments are beyond impressive (that fact that he is a Black Hawk fan is simply icing on the cake)

Although the entire show was outstanding I was particularly moved by Jim's performance of "Song for Shannon" & "The Blacksmith/Passion's Forge" ... simply beautiful!

I should also mention the Todd Hunt(Fitness One ) did the AGF proud in his warm up duties. His vocal abilities are impressive and that Webber OM in his hands was an extra treat. My only gripe is that he didn't favor us with an original tune.

Todd really went out of his way to put the show together for us... even talking Bill Wise into showing off a couple of his incredible creations. All I can say is WOW.. what a wonderful evening all the way around - Superb entrainment, good people and beautiful guitars!!
Sounds like an AGF hat-trick to me!

Thanks again for putting this together Todd and Jim for making the trek to Midland.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
2011 Cordoba F-10
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Musical minimalist

Hey James....thanks for the kind words. Sorry I didn't get an original in edge-wise, but the time kind of slipped away.

Sorry it took so long to put up some pics, Jim and I spent the day cruising up around your neck of the woods (Traverse, Sleeping Bear, Frankfort) then we finished with a good seafood dinner back in Mt Pleasant.

The last couple days were a lot of fun and the show went really well. It was a little less well attended than I had hoped, but Holiday weekends in Midland are pretty sparse (last one please turn the lights out - LOL)

I've been waiting to hear Jim a LONG time now and it certainly was worth it.
Thanks to Bill W. from Charis Acoustic for bringing his beautiful guitars to show off.

The quality of the pics isn't the best, but the lighting wasn't really great.

Here's JT in the middle of "Train Station Blues" I told him if he didn't play it, he was going to have to stay at the Holiday Inn Express - LOL

and playing one of Bill's beautiful SJ's after the show

JT and James (Feste)

Bill and his works of art.....thanks again for stopping by!!

Last edited by fitness1; 07-04-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Musical minimalist

Captain Capo and the Hack...

Me and Wally Roundbody....

Tomorrow Jim's headed to Columbus for a show with John Sherman and I have a "garden party" style wedding to play.....

Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 PM

OK Jim, seems like things are going great for your tour. I cannot wait to see you at CAAS in Nashville. We have to get caught up. I will introduce you to some very special, and wonderful folks. I smell a jam at the Soundseat tables. If anyone is going, please stop by and say hi.

My very best,
Old 07-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Man.......those boots have stepped on a lot of stages over the past two weeks.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
(that fact that he is a Black Hawk fan is simply icing on the cake)
Hey! I'm a former Blackhawk fan!

I changed allegiences when I moved to Atlanta, and started rooting for the hometown Thrashers. It figures that as soon as I switch, the Blackhawks start looking good again, while Atlanta may fall off the NHL map if they don't get it in gear soon!

Thanks for all the kind words, James. Coming from a talented player like yourself, it means all that much more. I truly enjoyed meeting you and talking hockey. Let's do it again sometime!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 PM

Okay... time to catch up. My internet time has been somewhat limited over the past few days, so I still haven't re-capped Chicago--much less Midland or Columbus.

Let's tackle the Windy City in this post...

Despite being a long-time Cubs and Blackhawks fan (I switched to the Braves and Thrashers when I moved to Atlanta, though), I had never been to Chicago. So seeing the city was quite very cool. My travels took me past the White Sox stadium (twice) and Soldier Field (you're right, Sandy... it DOES look like an alien spacecraft landed between the pillars!), but I didn't get to see Wrigley. But hey... that gives me a great excuse to come back! And I'll be sure to catch a game there rather than just driving by.

I loved the drive out of town, by the way, along Lake Shore Drive. Lake Michigan on the left, Chicago city skyline on the right... what a neat view.

Anyway... the gig was at a restaurant called Broadway Cellars. They have a very classy feel, with an extensive wine list and a menu that left me drooling. I ended up going with the Calamari Bruschetta, which was simply exquisite!

Sandy Andina got the evening's entertainment started with a set of really nice folk tunes, and ended up playing the dulcimer on the last song. One funny moment during the evening was when a fellow came up to Sandy after she played the dulcimer and asked about her "mandolin."

I played two sets... but didn't take a break in between. I was having too much fun to stop... plus I wanted to finish up and get to the calamari!

The owners of Broadway Cellars were really great people, and invited me back to play anytime I'm in town. You can be sure that I'll take them up on it, too... that was the best calamari I've ever had!

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM

On to Michigan...

I feel like I've known Todd (fitness1) forever, so it was kind of strange to realize that I hadn't actually met him until I pulled into his driveway on Thursday. And from that point on, it felt like we HAD known each other for years... and with all the stories we told each other over the two days I was in town, we might as well have grown up together!

I was really pleased and flattered that James Filkins made the 2-hour-plus drive down from Traverse City to attend the show. Maybe if he'd known that Todd and I would be driving that way the following day...

Ian Anderson (who I've also "known" for many years, but never met) made the drive down from Canada, too... so it was truly an international event!

The show was a blast! I got to sit and listen to Todd sing for the opening set, and does he ever have a voice! I was SO jealous...

I shredded a nail on my very first song, and did a bit of repair work between sets. I guess it just didn't hold up to all the playing I've been doing in the past two weeks. I felt like I was fighting the guitar a little for the rest of the night, but I still had a lot of fun playing.

Wow! I'd seen and played a couple of Charis guitars before, but seeing the ones that Bill Wise brought with him to the concert was just amazing. I don't know if anyone got a shot of the back of that Adi/Blackwood guitar I'm playing in the picture above, but holy smokes was it gorgeous!

Bill is a very, very talented man... and very humble and unassuming to boot. If you're aren't familiar with Charis guitars, you really need to check them out.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 PM

And now Columbus...

This evening, I had the pleasure of sharing the stage for a few tunes with one of my Celtic guitar heroes, John Sherman. John has been an internet friend since before my first CD, Castlerea, was released. In fact, he was one of the players that Iasked for some feedback from during the recording sessions.

We started the show off with duet versions of "Planxty Irwin," "Star of the County Down," and a set that included "The Rolling Waves, The Market Town, and Scatter the Mud" (which was based on the version done by Kevin Burke and Micheal Domhnaill). For the first two songs, John improvised parts over my arrangements... but for the set, I had to transform myself into a rhythm guitarist and strum along with the chord changes. I'm sure I missed one or two, but considering I'd never heard the songs before and we only ran through it twice before doing it on stage, I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly.

If you're a fan of Celtic guitar and don't have John Sherman's CDs, shame on you! You need to run out and get them! My favorite is Far Green Country.

After getting to play a few songs with John, it was almost anti-climatic to continue the evening playing as a solo artist, but I had a lot of fun. The crowd was small but very attentive and appreciative. I met some really nice people there, including one of John's former guitar students who happens to be a member on the AGF (I think he said his screen name was "DaveR"... but maybe he'll chime in and correct me if I've "misremembered").

OK... that's it for now. Time to get some sleep, then it's off to Louisville in the morning.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-06-2008, 05:39 AM

Default Columbus concert

As Jim said in his post above, I had the good fortune of attending his concert with John Sherman last night in Columbus, Ohio. Even though the crowd was small, the music was excellent. They openned as a duet and sounded great together. It was hardly anti-climatic when Jim moved to the solo portion of the performance. His songs are well-crafted and very enjoyable to listen to. His playing is equally impressive--moving smoothly and easily from foot-stomping grooves to slow balads and everything in between. Jim introduced each song with an explantion or story of the song's origin or title.

Overall it was an wonderful evening. I had a chance to meet Jim and chat with him a bit--a nicer guy you couldn't imagine. And I talked to John Sherman, who I had not seen since I took some celtic guitar lessons from him a few years ago. I bought Jim's latest CD, Guitar Pieces, which I highly recommend.

If you have a chance to see Jim on this our a future tour, I strongly encourage you to do so. Thanks, Jim, for making a stop in Columbus. Come back again soon.

Dave Raack
Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
I don't know if anyone got a shot of the back of that Adi/Blackwood guitar I'm playing in the picture above, but holy smokes was it gorgeous!
The pics taken of it at the show didn't turn out very well because of the lighting, so I stole this off Bill's site.....the artwork was done by Bill's high school aged daughter, not bad, eh?

Last edited by fitness1; 07-06-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Louisville...

The Louisville gig was a house concert that was held in a Victorian home from the 1890's... and let me just say that the setting was perfect. The house was simply stunning.

Wade Thurman and I traded sets for the concert part of the evening, and then we were all treated to a wonderful meal. The music wasn't done, however. After dinner, we convinced Wade's wife,Kelley, to sing a couple of songs--and let me just tell you that she has a fantastic voice!

Wade's sister was also there, and she has quite a voice as well. She treated us to a beautiful rendition of "Summertime," and that was followed by another young lady (I've forgotten some names... perhaps Wade can help me?) who sang Eva Cassidy's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Yet another young lady did a smoky version of "Fever." There were several other excellentv ocal performances, including a group sing-along to James Taylor's "Shower the People" that ended with beautiful multi-part harmonies sung a cappella. Even I joined in!

I also really enjoyed meeting one of Wade's bothers, Richard, who is quite a guitarist. Some of you may remember that Wade and his siblings surprised Richard with a new Santa Cruz guitar to celebrate his 50th birthday. Richard brought that guitar with him, and worked some magic with it!

It was a tremendously enjoyable evening because of all the talented and wonderful people that had gathered. It was really an honor to be part of this, and there were several suggestions about making this an annual event. I certainly hope that happens!

Next stop... Nashville, where I'll be playing with fellow AGF member and Solid Air Records artist Danny Combs. I can't wait, because I know this will be fun!

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Nashville...

Tonight's gig was at Edgehill Studios Cafe. Fellow Solid Air Records artist Danny Combs (AGF name = drcmusic7) and I shared the stage and decided to trade off songs in a round format rather than playing separate sets. This was a really fun way to do it, because we ended up choosing songs that played off of what the other one had just done, or the story that one of us would tell about a song would spark an idea for the next song the other would play, etc.

It was a real treat to hear Danny play up close and personal, and if you haven't checked out his Guitar Up Front CD yet, I strongly encourage you to do so!

Danny brought three guitars along: a little Huss and Dalton with a big, "throaty" voice (that's Danny's description, and it's an apt one); a Webber slothead, and a Hoffman small jumbo. All three sounded great, but my personal favorite was the H&D. It's a short-scale, 12-fret, small bodied guitar that puts out much more sound than you'd expect from looking at it. The sound also has a nice, vintage vibe that I really enjoyed. I also loved Danny's Tony Vines guitar, but that one didn't come to the gig.

Once again, I used the RainSong OM1000... and again, it got a lot of compliments for its sound. I think it's catching a lot of people by surprise because they expect the carbon fiber to sound dramatically different than a wood guitar, and while there are differences, they're not as drastic as one might believe.

So, Nashville was another wonderful, musical evening!

Next stop: Chattanooga.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
Louisville...

The Louisville gig was a house concert that was held in a Victorian home from the 1890's... and let me just say that the setting was perfect. The house was simply stunning.

Wade Thurman and I traded sets for the concert part of the evening, and then we were all treated to a wonderful meal. The music wasn't done, however. After dinner, we convinced Wade's wife,Kelley, to sing a couple of songs--and let me just tell you that she has a fantastic voice!

Wade's sister was also there, and she has quite a voice as well. She treated us to a beautiful rendition of "Summertime," and that was followed by another young lady (I've forgotten some names... perhaps Wade can help me?) who sang Eva Cassidy's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Yet another young lady did a smoky version of "Fever." There were several other excellentv ocal performances, including a group sing-along to James Taylor's "Shower the People" that ended with beautiful multi-part harmonies sung a cappella. Even I joined in!

I also really enjoyed meeting one of Wade's bothers, Richard, who is quite a guitarist. Some of you may remember that Wade and his siblings surprised Richard with a new Santa Cruz guitar to celebrate his 50th birthday. Richard brought that guitar with him, and worked some magic with it!

It was a tremendously enjoyable evening because of all the talented and wonderful people that had gathered. It was really an honor to be part of this, and there were several suggestions about making this an annual event. I certainly hope that happens!

Next stop... Nashville, where I'll be playing with fellow AGF member and Solid Air Records artist Danny Combs. I can't wait, because I know this will be fun!
It was a fantastic night - I always forget the amazement of the relaxed way that Jim plays - it's like it simply falls off his fingers.

Having talked to a few of the people who came (some old and new faces, at that) I believe that most didn't know exactly what was coming and walked away feeling like it was a night well spent. I know this - there were an awful lot of smiles all the way around!

The people who sang later were my wife, as Jim mentioned, a young woman originally from Chicago named Faith, my sister Mollie, our friend Judy, who sang "Fever," and the Music Director of a church I've played in off and on over the years, Linda, playing one of her own pieces. My favorite moments of the night (and there were many): Jim's renditions of "Song for Shannon," "Monkeyshines," "Never My Love," (with great stories behind each) and the always-fun three-capoed "Trinity."

The other thing that was great was the willingness of those present to join in and become part of the evening's music. I barely mentioned people singing along on Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain," and suddenly there was harmony all over the place. The other impromptu sing-alongs were "It's In Every One of Us," and, as Jim mentioned, "Shower the People." I think the most telling sign of the good time was that many people said they would have to leave early and ended up staying about 2-1/2 more hours after the concert part of the afternoon to enjoy the time.

Thanks for a great night, Jim. If word of this gets out, that house might be too small to get everyone in, if we do ever have the opportunity to do this again.

For those of you who haven't been to see Jim play, you're really missing out!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases