The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's true... I made a last-minute decision to bring only the RainSong with me, because I knew it would be able to handle the rigors of the road and tolerate being left in a hot car while I ate lunch or dinner, etc. But don't worry, it's in good hands... our own Greg Gwaltney has graciously agreed to babysit the Fay OM and give it some attention while I'm away. Have I mention how nice it is to have him nearby?
Sounds like you are having fun Jim, no worries as the Fay is safe here, though you may need to put some real music through it when you get back as I'm sure by now the guitar is wondering what happened to your chops .....I am really enjoying playing it, very nice sounding guitar.

Cheers,
Old 06-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Okay, it's late and Jim and I just finished dinner after the show.........and a great show it was. I am going to post a couple of shots for now, and then clean them up before posting any more. Needless to say though, it's been a really fun day.

Jim in the "man cave" giving my Paragon Slope D a workout

On stage at Studio Joe in Little Rock

Jim and former P.O.D. guitarist Jason Truby

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the pics, John!

The day in Little Rock started out with getting to test-drive my new Goodall (which I had shipped to John rather than wait to get it after the tour). I'm not sure yet whether I'll be able to keep the Goodall (it will be a financial decision, and depend on how I'm looking at the end of the tour), but it is a terrific guitar with just the qualities I was hoping for--a big sound with lots of shimmer--thanks to the koa--and an unmistakeable Goodall sound.

Next, I got to put all of John's Paragon guitars into DADGAD and take 'em for a spin. (One cool part about his touris the number of guitars I'm getting to see/hear/play!) While all of them were fantastic, I liked the looks of the OM the best, because of Celtic inlays (surprise!) on the 12th fret and the heelcap. My favorite forsound, though, was the sloped shoulder dread that I'm playing in the picture above. That guitar might just have the biggest rumble in the bass of any guitar I've ever played... and WOW, did it sound great in DADGAD and CGDGAD. John has been convinced to leave that one in DADGAD.

On to the show...

The venue was a cool little place called Studio Joe (although it's unby a crew that included Rob, Dave, Mike, and Brandon... so Idon't know where the Joe coes from, and forgot to ask). Studio Joe is a combination of a coffee house (and I can tell you their vanilla latte rocks!), a performance venue, and a recording studio. The sound was awesome... thanks to a pair of Bose L1 systems and some good mics. I didn't want to stop playing after sound check, because it sounded soooo good. If anyone is looking for an acoustic venue in Little Rock, this is it!

I did two sets for a diverse crowd of about 30. I was very pleasantly surprised when Jason Truby (who is a friend of Mr. Cooley's... who knew John was that cool?!) dropped in to attend the concert. Jason played guitar with P.O.D. for several years (so he's a legitimate rock star), and is now doing solo acoustic guitar music. He's good enough at that to have become a friend of one Phil Keaggy, who some of you might be familiar with.

The students at the high school where I teach are going to think the picture I took with Jason (above) is pretty darned cool. They just don't know that their English teacher is a relatively hip dude.

All in all, it was a wonderful evening... and to top things off, I got a recording of the concert since Studio Joe is both a venue and a studio. I listened to the recording on the drive from Arkansas to Illinois, and I'm thinking it might be good enough to turn into a live album. We'll see....

Next stop... the Windy City!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
The venue was a cool little place called Studio Joe (although it's unby a crew that included Rob, Dave, Mike, and Brandon... so Idon't know where the Joe coes from, and forgot to ask). Studio Joe is a combination of a coffee house (and I can tell you their vanilla latte rocks!), a performance venue, and a recording studio.
Aha--that explains it--a studio where you can get a creat cuppa joe. There's a similar venue in Vienna, VA (between Tyson's Corner & Wolf Trap) called Jammin' Java. (Unfortunately, they ditched their open mic and are booking mostly rock these days, but it's a great place to play and get a live video made at reasonable rates).

Leaving the light on for you, Jim! (Any Chicago AGFers who don't come out and see him at Broadway Cellars Wed. night are missing both an amazing talent and terrific food & wine--be there or be square).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Aha--that explains it--a studio where you can get a creat cuppa joe.
[Slaps forehead] D'uh! Of course...

Quote:
There's a similar venue in Vienna, VA (between Tyson's Corner & Wolf Trap) called Jammin' Java.
Yup... been there many times (though never performed there), and that's exactly what came to mind. I even mentioned Jammin' Java to John last night because of the similarities.

Quote:
Leaving the light on for you, Jim!
I'll see you soon!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 06-30-2008, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

It's great to read about all of these neat experiences you're having as you travel from city to city. Good luck with the rest of your tour and it was wonderful meeting you!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Thanks again for coming to Little Rock Jim. Starla and I both enjoyed you as a house guest, albeit such a short stay. And yes, I foresee an obsession with DADGAD coming on. The best of luck on the rest of the tour.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM

Okay........a few more pics of the Little Rock performance.

Jim on stage (well, duh)

One more time

David and Mike. Two top notch sound guys!

Crowd shot......that's my wife and mother in the forground

Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Bump!

Come hear Jim Tozier at the cozy, convenient, casually elegant and delicious
Broadway Cellars restaurant and wine bar, 5900 N. Broadway (cor. Rosedale, across from the armory), in Chicago tonight from 7-10 pm. I will be playing a few tunes and perhaps some impromptu duets, but mostly I will be sitting back, getting out of the way, and marveling. (It'll be hard to chew while my jaw is continually dropping, but I'll try). No cover, no minimum--but trust me, the food and wines are irresistible and so is Jim's playing. CDs available, especially his newest!

Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
CDs available, especially his newest!
And it is a VERY good CD I might add! To me the best one yet!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 PM

Ah, Chicagoans (except for Marshall of course--THANK YOU!!), what you missed! Jim played, standing, for 90 min. nonstop (I feel like a piker having done only a half-hr. warmup) and there were jaws dropping all over the restaurant. We had a pretty good-sized neighborhood crowd for a Wed., made better (rather than thinned out, as we'd feared) by it being a holiday week--with Chicago celebrating the 4th on the evening of the 3rd., tonight felt like a Friday night. Jim was amazing, and his music was a perfect fit for the sophisticated-casual ambience, crowd, wine and food. You know you're doing something right when the staff (several of whom are guitarists themselves) want to buy your CDs! Midland, MI, you're in for a treat!

And yup, Bryan, got 'em all now!

Will post pics tomorrow.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Musical minimalist

[QUOTE=Chicago Sandy;1522993] Midland, MI, you're in for a treat!

QUOTE]

I've been waiting for this for a LONG time.

I've told this story a few times before, but I used to run a record store and have literally thousands of titles of recorded music at my disposal. When Castlerea first came out, it didn't leave my car CD player for almost two months. Most recordings don't make it for more than a couple of days.

Since then, I've been trying to figure out how I was going to hear Mr Jim play.....for the last few years, when I'd do my Florida golf vacation in January, it seemed he was either just coming or going from a trip to see his parents and stopping off to pick with a few of our Florida faction.

Tonight is going to be really cool.....I get to hear him right down the street in a GREAT little venue, and through MY sound system....WOO-HOO.

Only one question......is it too late to chicken out from opening the show??
Talk about intimidation!!!

Just kidding of course....

Old 07-03-2008, 05:19 AM

Jim, do you know how many miles you'll have driven by the end of the tour?

-=Tim=-
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 AM

Jim........That recording David and Mike handed you as you were headed out the door was a rough amalgimation of all the recording sources from the concert. I was back at Studio Joe last night and Mike was playing with it.......blending the DI with the overheads that were picking up the Bose, and the stereo mic you were playing in to...........I really think you are going to be impressed with what comes out of this. Good luck on the rest of the tour!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

I didn't get a chance to stay till the end and talk with Jim. But he was a wonderful standup music-playing-machine. . . . , except his music was very warm and human and accessible.

I'd say he was perfect for a fine classy restaurant like that. A number of people were commenting on the music (and hopefully buying some CDs).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases