The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Question Tuning/string issue for beginner

I'm a total beginner at playing guitar. I've played other instruments so I do have a music background but this is my first string instrument. A few days ago I was tuning my acoustic guitar and broke the D string. I've been playing it every day for about 3 months and it came with the strings already on it so I figured I just needed new strings. So I bought medium light strings, watched a few YouTube videos and put on the new strings. I was tuning it when the D string broke again. I checked for burrs in the tuning head- nothing. The neck is not bent. It's possible it was my mistake since I'm new at this but should I check for anything else? I bought a new D string and put it on but I'm a little scared that if I tune it it will snap again haha. Any feedback at all would be very appreciated!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Welcome and don't get frustrated.

If its any consolation I had an epidemic problem with string breakage when I started playing decades ago.

Now, I seriously can't remember the last time I broke a string (in decades).

So, it is a very temporary issue. A lot of people like different techniques. Some ascribe to the method of a famous guitar technician/expert named Frank Ford.

I, and some, prefer to use something called The Taylor Method.

Taylor Method

Taylor method by Elixir

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katec View Post
I bought a new D string and put it on but I'm a little scared that if I tune it it will snap again haha. Any feedback at all would be very appreciated!
You'll have to tune at some point, otherwise your practice will be very difficult. I remember seeing several threads with a similar problem. One solution offered was to rub a pencil into the groove in the nut where the string sits, to deposit a graphite layer. It seems this helps when the string is ' catching ' in the nut and it snaps when you try to tune it up. The graphite is slippery and reduces any friction there. This might help. Worth a try anyway.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 PM

I know it sounds silly, but it's not impossible to unintentionally try to tune a guitar string an octave too high (I've done it).
Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM

It could have simply been a coincidence. Get another D string...and go for it. If you need help...just email me, I'd be happy to help you sort it out.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM

The idea of using pencil lead as a graphite lubricant in the slots is a good one. I do that on every string change. Mechanical pencils work great for that, since the typical 0.5 mm lead is pretty fine.

When I suspect a burr, I take a length of the old string and gently use it like dental floss, filing the nut slot smoother. Using the string that broke, I am trying not to enlarge the slot, just smooth out any burrs or ridges. I try to work side-to-side, being careful not to lower the slot depth while doing this. I break strings occasionally (once or twice a year) but only when changing from one tuning to the next, and usually for the umpteenth time.

The mention of tuning too high is valid too -- been there, done that. While using an electronic tuner, also check the string being tuned against the fretted note of the adjacent string. That should keep you from going too far past standard pitch for that string. in fact, I usually tune first by matching open and fretted string pitches, then fine tune with the electronic tuner. It's just quicker that way.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Where did the string break? At the nut, the bridge, or in between?

Did it break at the same place both times?

-Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
Where did the string break? At the nut, the bridge, or in between?

Did it break at the same place both times?

-Mike
That is the key question. For new strings, it is almost always something that nicks the string, causing it to pop. Don't forget that they stretch a bit during tuning, so after they break, the ends won't be on the offending spot, but they'll be close. Many times, if it is right at the tuning peg, it is the edge of the hole drilled through that is a little sharp. May be unnoticeable. Get a sheet of emery cloth from the hardware store, and take a little rolled up piece and use it to smooth down the edges of the hole. It won't take much, you're just trying to slightly round off the edge.
If it broke at the nut, the previous posts detail what to do.
If at the bridge, again look for a very sharp edge that may be cutting into the string. Emery cloth again to just very slightly dull the corner.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Smile

The string did break at the same spot both times..right by the tuning head. Which is why one of my guitar playing friends suggested looking for a burr. Even though I couldn't see one I gently rubbed the inside of the tuning head with a small Phillips head screwdriver. Hopefully that got rid anything I couldn't see. I'm considering taking the new D string off and coating the inside with graphite to make sure it's nice and smooth in there. I was also afraid I tuned it an octave too high lol. I have a digital tuner but it only says what note you're on not if you're on the right octave. So I will keep that in mind as well. Thanks for the comments and suggestions!! I'll let you know how it goes when I try to tune the D again..
Old 02-22-2014, 12:58 PM

Talking Success!

I took the new strings off and coated the inside of the tuning head with graphite. Put it back on and was able to tune it without it snapping! Thanks everybody that commented! I'm so happy I can finally get back to practicing!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katec View Post
I took the new strings off and coated the inside of the tuning head with graphite. Put it back on and was able to tune it without it snapping! Thanks everybody that commented! I'm so happy I can finally get back to practicing!!!
Good Job!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:15 PM

For a tone reference,I found this;
http://www.onlinetuningfork.com/
Chuck
Old 02-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Default Tuning/string issue for beginner

Careful breaking those strings. I was doing a string change and had all of them off but the little high E string. I got distracted and started winding the tuning peg the wrong way getting it tighter instead of looser. It snapped and whipped me across my arm leaving a deep thin bruise. Definitely would put an eye out if I had my head in the wrong position.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustc guitar, beginner guitarist, string breakage, tuning