The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishbroadcast View Post
You haven't said what your budget is. "Reasonable" means many things to many people. "Reasonable" in the acoustic archtop world is $2-5k but that doesn't mean reasonable to your budget.

It sounds like you are in the $1k range (can we talk about price ranges?) and want an L5-type guitar. To me 16" non-cutaways sound very specific. The Loar is a no-brainer for that. I wrote a long-winded love letter about the LH-700, so will not rehash. There is no solid carved L5-ish guitar in that price range other than the Loar.

For a few dollars less the Gretsch G100 is very nice. It is laminate but has a very punchy, loud acoustic sound. It doesn't have the depth of the Loar but it still sounds fantastic. The Godin 5th avenue didn't sound great to me. I owned the G100 for awhile and really loved the sound an playability. I only sold it to get the cutaway version, but got distracted. You would need to get a level and recrown, bridge and nut adjustment, and put some heavy acoustic strings on it, but it is still a fantastic value.

Old Harmonys, Kays, Hofners, etc. are also a killer value, but can be a very dicey gamble. 80% of the time the guitar needs a neck reset (if it wasn't already done) which is going to double your initial investment and not really make it a good value. At any rate, if you can actually go and play it in person, and verify the frets and neck are in good condition, it can be a good way to go. The quality and condition of those instruments is all over the map, so do not buy one remotely. Take it from someone who has bought 3 and had to overhaul them. There is a very nice Old Kraftsman (Kay-made) local to me that would be an insane value for someone since it has already been reset.

If you are buying new, and want an L5, the Loar is going to make you happy.
I've seen that one on craigslist!

I own the exact same model, Kay branded though, with a floating DeArmond pickup. It's a VERY cool guitar. Kay called it a "Master Cutaway," made it from '60 to '64 abouts, and it was the top of their "student line"--sold for about $100 back in the day, which would put it right on part with what a lot of budget archtops cost today...

Somebody should snap that one up! If I hadn't just dropped a big wad of cash on a bathroom remodel, I would, just to have an "all acoustic" version.

As for the Loar...I dunno...seen WAYYY too many people complain about inexcusable problems, like misaligned necks and such. Caveat Emptor.

The Godin is a shallow bodied archtop...The model with the pickup makes for a great budget "ES-125" vibe, but I can't see the acoustic version competing with a deeper bodied archtop in terms of volume and tone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I've seen that one on craigslist! [...] As for the Loar...I dunno...seen WAYYY too many people complain about inexcusable problems, like misaligned necks and such. Caveat Emptor
Notice how i didn't PM you about the Kraftsman? That is the same guy in Evanston where i got that Kay you have now.

As for the Loar complaints, some of them are justified, others are unfair. Neck angle is correct for an L5 spec-d instrument (i learned this with my L7: lower neck angle / shorter bridge). Knocking it down for damage seems unfair as well. The unfinished underside of the neck extension is consistent with my L7, the Loar is just worse. So, with all reviews, grain of salt. There are a few loud voices with very specific issues, this is the internet after all.

The nice thing is, you can buy it from an online retailer and return it if it is terrible. I fully expected to do that, but was completely surprised and delighted.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM

I currently own two acoustic archtops, and have had a few more over the years. I spent an hour or so with a Loar, not sure which model, last fall and thought it was an excellent sounding and playing guitar. I did not notice any finish flaws in the one I played. I also have played a Godin Fifth Avenue. It was nice but didn't have the same quality of sound as the Loar, I'm guessing laminated top vs. solid top. I wouldn't hesitate to add a Loar to my herd, in fact it's on my short list of what to buy when my canoe comes in-I'm saving my ship coming in for one of Ranger Doug's vintage Strombergs.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I'd recommend the old Martin Archtops... They can be found a little above your price range (sometimes) if you look around and can sound really nice. I own an 1937 R-18 that I really love.

Here are some photos...

Kindly,
Danny
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Notice how i didn't PM you about the Kraftsman? That is the same guy in Evanston where i got that Kay you have now.

As for the Loar complaints, some of them are justified, others are unfair. Neck angle is correct for an L5 spec-d instrument (i learned this with my L7: lower neck angle / shorter bridge). Knocking it down for damage seems unfair as well. The unfinished underside of the neck extension is consistent with my L7, the Loar is just worse. So, with all reviews, grain of salt. There are a few loud voices with very specific issues, this is the internet after all.

The nice thing is, you can buy it from an online retailer and return it if it is terrible. I fully expected to do that, but was completely surprised and delighted.
Ha! I didn't know it was you man! How are ya?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Ha! I didn't know it was you man! How are ya?
Good. I just figured i wasn't on the internet enough as it was, so why not another forum?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Also look at Eastman, they make lots of dfferent archtops, all are solid woods, quality is impeccable (clearly better than the 3 Loars I've seen personally but also more expensive) and you can usually find a used one for a good price (around $1200).

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Also look at Eastman, they make lots of dfferent archtops, all are solid woods, quality is impeccable (clearly better than the 3 Loars I've seen personally but also more expensive) and you can usually find a used one for a good price
Eastman is very good as well. Do they have a 16" non-cutaway? Maybe that isn't as important to the OP as price.

[edit] They do! 905NC. 3x's the budget though. I don't know if this is a one-off / custom or what but it looks pretty:

Last edited by Polishbroadcast; 05-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Good. I just figured i wasn't on the internet enough as it was, so why not another forum?
Know what you mean...I joined here last summer to try and find out more about that Kay. Ended up really liking it around here...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM

My main player is a '53 L-50 which I guess was the inexpensive version of the L-5. I love it. I can't say as I've tried too many other modern versions. The 5th Avenue wasn't too bad, but seemed a little "thin" to me, not as solid as I'm used to. But, maybe I'm a bit spoiled. The price on the 5th Ave. seemed right.

But, keep up the search, archtops are very versatile, they'll handle anything.

Gibson L-50
Taylor 214
Yamaha C-40

Make Guitar Music | Guitar Practice Tips

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops