The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Default For Those Who Feel Your 5th Avenue Isn't Loud Enough

The 5th Avenue has become a very popular model over the last few years, and for good reason. Great price, solid build, nice appearance and finish, sick low action and a nice sound. I read many posts around, however, dissing it because it isn't loud enough. There's a simple fix for that....

Hit it harder!

Remember, this is an archtop, not a flat. It was designed differently and for a reason. Archies were originally intended as rhythm instruments in big bands. Playing chords and keeping up with horns. Volume and projection is what they are all about.

Now, I grew up with an old Silvertone at the house that my dad played. At home, though, he never really got after it. Unfortunately, he passed away when I was young and never learned much of what he knew. I was visiting my uncle recently and took my Godin with me. We went out to his studio and tried it out. He just banged that thing like he was gonna smash it! The projection was amazing! The harder you hit it, the louder it gets. It just never breaks up or gets raspy like a flat top when overplayed.

So, the next time you're lamenting the lack of volume from your 5th, just hit it!

EG
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Good advice, for unplugged sound! And, if it starts to buzz, raise the bridge.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM

I've owned four acoustic only archtops now. When I played my first 5th Ave I was disappointed. I think it could be voiced to be much louder. My Gretsch Setzer with .012's was as loud acoustically as the one I played. YMMV.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
When I played my first 5th Ave I was disappointed. I think it could be voiced to be much louder. My Gretsch Setzer with .012's was as loud acoustically as the one I played. YMMV.
I had the same experience -- and my Epi Elitist Broadway, also with the .012 E, was as loud as the Godin. Neither the volume nor the tone of the Godin satisfy me.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Just got my new Godin 5Th Avenue surburst with 2 single coil, got it to play live amplified;
what a great guitar when plugged, i have tried a setzer and a Tim A, but choose the godin over them, more natural sound and really cutting out, the only thing about it is the strings are pretty hard to bend a full tone (in 440) and there is no Bigsby (maybe later)
the action and tone are amazing
Anyway they are not the same type of guitar, i would say the godin is a semi-accoustic/electric, and the others are electric/semi-accoustic, if you know what i mean. two different world, it depens your taste as far as i am concern i will be playing, oldies, blues, rock and jazz

Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM

The Godin is a small box--width and depth. It's gonna need a few things to be loud--however, that's not really what the guitar is for, IMHO...To me, it's a nice guitar for working out arrangements, backyard and couch picking, or recording. I wouldn't bring it to a big band gig.

Mind you, I have the single pickup version. It does sound mighty good plugged in, and to accentuate that aspect, I'm using a low action and .12 gauge flatwounds.

If I wanted the guitar to function more as an acoustic, I'd put bronze strings, maybe consider .13's, and jack the action up a good deal. An archtop is a piece of tuned percussion, the more vibration you can cause, the more volume you'll get. You'll also lose sustain, but long, ringing sustain isn't the point of these guitars... Check some videos of Freddie Green--that cat's string action was like a half inch at the 12th fret!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Back from the dead thread.

Mine is the plain old acoustic version. I'm running 12s on it now. I'll try some 13s next and see what it does.

I started this simply because I hear many complaints about it being a quiet guitar. My suspicion is that most flat top players simply fear overplaying it, which I have yet to do. The harder you play it, the louder it gets. Can be a bit of a workout sometimes. The unique sounds are awesome though.

EG
Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Missed that this was an old thread--but yours is a very valid point.

To quote Malcom Young, "Don't tickle it, hit the bugger!"

As an archtop lover (and not really a flattop user) I always get a kick out of comments like "That archtop sounds like crap--it doesn't have the sustain of myTaylor" or "It sounds tinny compared to the rich bass and sparkly highs of my Martin"

It ain't supposed to!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Choosing the right pick should be mentioned as well. I follow the gypsy jazz guitar player recommendations and use anywhere from a 2mm to 5mm pick when strumming my archtop (not a godin, eastman, but same idea).

--george

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops