The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-07-2021, 10:53 AM

Default Keys Different for Guitar and Bass?

Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question about key signatures. I have been playing for a few years and took about a year's worth of lessons but had to quit a while back. I play guitar and my husband has picked up the bass (electric) and we are hoping to play some simple songs together.

The problem is, I can find music for a song for bass, but it is in a different key than the music for the guitar. We want to play Elvis' "All Shook Up." His sheet music is in key of A, while mine is in Bb. How do I resolve this difference?

I did have one lesson about transposing keys, and I can (very very slowly) change each note in one or the other, but is this how everybody does it? I know I can use a capo to change the key on the guitar, but I found a transposition chart and it doesn't look like I could change from Bb to A or vice-versa using a capo.

I've searched high and low but I don't find much talk about this problem, so I'm thinking it must be something simple that I'm missing. Can anyone help?
Old 05-07-2021, 11:21 AM

I use www.ultimate-guitar.com for most of the covers I play and they have a super handy transposer for every song they have, so picking the same key on both instruments should give you the chords you are looking for. I'm sure there are other ways, but this one is easy and they have a TON of chord/tab for both guitar and bass.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I also find Ultimate Guitar a very useful music app. It will transpose songs for you. I also find Music Notes useful. This is standard notation printed music, which you can download and save or print. You can choose a different key for the song you purchase. Songs are $3 -$5, which is so well worth it if you can read music and find it helpful. I find it helpful to read the melody in printed music in my preferred key!
Old 05-07-2021, 11:45 AM

Quick fix: have him put a capo at the first fret. His A will be the same as your Bb.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-07-2021, 11:50 AM

I have seen people capo the bass. I wouldn't, but he could.

He could learn it in 6th position with no open strings and then move his hand down a fret, but "just picked up the bass" doesn't sound like that's a likely solution.

Tune the bass up a half step? (seems like a pain for one song)

Are you both reading single note sheet music?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-07-2021, 11:51 AM

Oh, see, I didn't even know you could use a capo on a bass! Duh! That would make sense. I will check out Ultimate-Guitar to see what that's like also, thanks for the help both of you!
Old 05-07-2021, 11:54 AM

musicman, his is the tab/notation from "Bass Tab White Pages." Mine would probably be from Sheet-Music direct, I just searched for the song and almost everything is in the key of Bb, while his is in A. We're still trying to figure this out.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiecab View Post
Oh, see, I didn't even know you could use a capo on a bass! Duh! That would make sense. I will check out Ultimate-Guitar to see what that's like also, thanks for the help both of you!
I thought the guitar music was in A which is why I suggested the capo. If the bass music is in A I would just tune the guitar down 1/2 step.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-07-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

It’s the same. The easiest way is to pick either one and both of you play off that one.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:26 PM

These are all viable suggestions. The first thing I would want to know, is what key suits me best for singing? It doesn't have to be A or Bb either. If it is, then transposition is really easy. You can print lined paper from off the internet. (I am assuming one of you has at least rudimentary music reading skills since you have the music sheets.) Then move every note up on or down one line or space (one pitch), depending upon which direction you are going.

I do things such as this frequently and it doesn't take more than a few minutes to do. Not hours. Hours are for learning the music!

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
musicman, his is the tab/notation from "Bass Tab White Pages." Mine would probably be from Sheet-Music direct, I just searched for the song and almost everything is in the key of Bb, while his is in A. We're still trying to figure this out.
If he doesn't transpose (and many don't) probably the easiest way around it would be to transpose the bass tab up one fret (number) (assuming he is/can read TAB).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-09-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
There is never any reason to capo a bass. He would be playing the same positions on the neck anyway. All a capo would do is to remove access to the first fret.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:03 AM

Bb is a weird key for guitar! Since he is the beginner, I would learn it in A, where it's a piece of cake anyway: The chords are A, D, and E throughout. Play those chords along with the record and forget about sheet music - it's rock and roll! Have fun!
Old 05-09-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Bb is a weird key for guitar! Since he is the beginner, I would learn it in A, where it's a piece of cake anyway: The chords are A, D, and E throughout. Play those chords along with the record and forget about sheet music - it's rock and roll! Have fun!
Bb is indeed a strange chord but I checked the original recording and that's what it is! Who know? Maybe they sped up the tape to make Elvis sound younger. I agree though, just play it in A.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-09-2021, 11:41 AM

This is why I am glad I never took guitar lessons. It's a simple three chord song. If you can break yourself away from the sheet music and just listen to where the song goes you both should easily be able to play it in any key.

I am not trying to be conceited or demean a couple of beginners, but you are too tied to the sheet music and the restraints it has on you. Use your ears more and your eyes less, you will have more fun. After all isn't music about how it sounds, and not about black dots printed on a sheet of paper and strictly adhering to their discipline?

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write