The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-18-2021, 08:26 AM

Default Replacing a vintage Gibson acoustic rectangle bridge?

My LG-2 bridge was sanded down at one point and needs to be replaced. I can find plenty of options for Belly bridges but no options to buy a premade replacement for the 6 x 1" bridge.

Any advice on this?
The top is being refinished so I don't need to worry about the "shadow" of the original bridge so much. I'd like to stay close to original but in the end, its a refinished players guitar so great sound and reasonable budget play a role.

The guitar has already been de-valued - but its a great player

I know I can take it to a luthier and have all the work done, but I'm not afraid to tackle the project if I can find the parts.

Would a belly bridge work, or am I asking for unknown trouble if the bridgeplate underneath doesn't line up?

its a 1951 Lg-2 - thanks in advance for any insights
Old 04-18-2021, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstang View Post
My LG-2 bridge was sanded down at one point and needs to be replaced. I can find plenty of options for Belly bridges but no options to buy a premade replacement for the 6 x 1" bridge.

Any advice on this?
The top is being refinished so I don't need to worry about the "shadow" of the original bridge so much. I'd like to stay close to original but in the end, its a refinished players guitar so great sound and reasonable budget play a role.

The guitar has already been de-valued - but its a great player

I know I can take it to a luthier and have all the work done, but I'm not afraid to tackle the project if I can find the parts.

Would a belly bridge work, or am I asking for unknown trouble if the bridgeplate underneath doesn't line up?

its a 1951 Lg-2 - thanks in advance for any insights
Stick a camera in there and look at your bridgeplate. My bridgeplates don't
look like my bridges ... anywho... those rectangular Gibson bridges are
so cool... I hope you can find one...

-Mike
Old 04-19-2021, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi,

Gibson is making a reissue of the 50s LG-2 at the moment and the straight bridge also looks the same as the one that they are using on all the L-00 models. It may be worth calling Gibson to see if you can get a bridge from them. Or talking to a shop that stocks Gibson and seeing if their sales rep can get one for you from the factory. I bet that they have hundreds of those bridges already machined and ready to fit.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-19-2021 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:36 AM

excellent idea ! request submitted. Thank you
Old 04-20-2021, 06:27 AM

Did you have it refinished yet? Just so you know, it's going to destroy the vintage value of that instrument.

Why was the bridge sanded down? My guess is that it needs a neck reset which is why it was sanded down. So if you simply replace that with a proper bridge your action will be too high. Is the guitar going to get a neck reset too? Is it a luthier who is refinishing it for you? If so they should be able to make you an exact replica for $150 bucks or so.

I just made one for a '43 LG2 a couple months ago. As far as bridges go they are pretty simple to make.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Did you have it refinished yet? Just so you know, it's going to destroy the vintage value of that instrument.

Why was the bridge sanded down? My guess is that it needs a neck reset which is why it was sanded down. So if you simply replace that with a proper bridge your action will be too high. Is the guitar going to get a neck reset too? Is it a luthier who is refinishing it for you? If so they should be able to make you an exact replica for $150 bucks or so.

I just made one for a '43 LG2 a couple months ago. As far as bridges go they are pretty simple to make.
The pricing of vintage LG-2s is depressing.

Well it is depressing if it would be an ideal guitar for you but can't ever hope to afford or even find one in the UK. I wouldn't mind if one came up like Benstang's that had been loved and worked on and wasn't all original - as long as it played well. The LG-2 was basically a low/mid priced guitar. At most, throughout its manufacturing runs, it would have felt like spending $750 or so at today's prices to buy one. If I ever get the chance to buy one now it would probably have to be the new 50s re-issue (which seems to sound just like the vintage ones, only a little tighter). So I would just have to bite the bullet and pay $1000 for the guitar and another $1500 for the name on the headstock!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair