The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Sounds like they are listening to their market. Lots of reviews on many music supplier's sites (guitar center, sweetwater, etc). Most complained about the difficulty of programming of the A-3. I think this has everything on the front. Not as many bells and whistles (which is why the A-3 is available). Just another item/option for those that want the main functions without the detailed programming.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Hi,

I admit, I am confused now about "the switch".

1. Disabling the modeling - then the unit would be useful. Just a D.I. with a simple bass/middle/treble thing, a tuner and a booster. Cool.

2. Disabling only the eq for the modeling - not possible to turn the modeling off? I´m out then.

3. Disabling modeling and eq - maybe even the boost? That would be stupid.

I am looking forward to getting mor information and more videos.

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-23-2017, 01:31 AM

Hi,

things are going on:

https://twitter.com/ZOOMjpn

There is a bigger Zoom AC-3 in it.

...and it looks tacky at least.

cu

erniecaster

Last edited by erniecaster; 05-23-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-23-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
Hi,

things are going on:

cu

erniecaster

Wow! That's a cool unit. I wonder when/if that comes out in the states. Not sure I'd want it, but it looks good. I still like the idea of the simpler smaller AC-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Hi,

things are going on:

cu

erniecaster
Thanks for the heads-up. The AC-3 appears to be an actual modeler. The big knob on the upper right says "source guitar" and the big knob on the upper left says "target guitar". I presume that the user is supposed to choose the input selections which most closely match the input instrument (ie - single cutaway, piezo pickup) in the "input" section, and then choose the guitar model which you want your amplified instrument to sound like in the "output" section.

Its encouraging to see that there's an "OFF" selection for the model selection knob.

The AC-3 looks a bit like a DTAR Mama Bear on steroids to me - with lots of bells and whistles added. One difference is that Mama Bear was more specific in accounting for the input pickup (16 different pickup adjustment selections, including "neutral") and Mama Bear made no accommodation for the input instrument's general body type.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:17 AM

It seems like you can choose just one effect with the AC 3, while on the a3 you can have two different effects plus the guitar modelling.
That, and no preset avalaible, make me think I'll stick to my a3...
Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisciandro View Post
It seems like you can choose just one effect with the AC 3, while on the a3 you can have two different effects plus the guitar modelling.
That, and no preset avalaible, make me think I'll stick to my a3...
From what I can tell about the AC-3, it appears that you can have reverb and compression, along with one additional effect.

The Zoom folks must believe that they've made some significant progress on the modeling front, and it will be interesting to discover how correct they are about that.

There are certain kinds of guitars and pickups which seem to provide a better "platform" for modeling. The conventional wisdom is that a smaller, less resonant guitar, combined with a string-oriented undersaddle or in-saddle pickup, provides the best platform for modeling. That was certainly the case with my DTAR Mama Bear modeling preamp. If its also the case with the Zoom AC-3, it may turn out to be very useful tool for the folks with cheap guitars which fit that dry-and-bland description.

On the other hand, the folks with high end guitars who want "my guitar's sound, only louder" will likely be much better off with something like ToneDexter, a digital box which enables the user to create custom WaveMaps for his/her own specific guitar & pickup rig.

As for the Zoom A3, I also expect to be sticking with mine for the time being. The various EQs (graphic, parametric and manual three band) and the capability of blending two sources have been especially useful.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-23-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:23 AM

Default New Zoom AC-2 Acoustic Creator Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
From what I can tell about the AC-3, it appears that you can have reverb and compression, along with one additional effect.

The Zoom folks must believe that they've made some significant progress on the modeling front, and it will be interesting to discover how correct they are about that.

There are certain kinds of guitars and pickups which seem to provide a better "platform" for modeling. The conventional wisdom is that a smaller, less resonant guitar, combined with a string-oriented undersaddle or in-saddle pickup, provides the best platform for modeling. That was certainly the case with my DTAR Mama Bear modeling preamp. If its also the case with the Zoom AC-3, it may turn out to be very useful tool for the folks with cheap guitars which fit that dry-and-bland description.

On the other hand, the folks with high end guitars who want "my guitar's sound, only louder" will likely be much better off with something like ToneDexter, a digital box which enables the user to create custom WaveMaps for his/her own specific guitar & pickup rig.

As for the Zoom A3, I also expect to be sticking with mine for the time being. The various EQs (graphic, parametric and manual three band) and the capability of blending two sources have been especially useful.

Based on KevWind's compression discussion in the other thread, that feature on the AC-3 looks more attractive to me.

I wonder if their default modeling on the AC-2 includes the compression effect like the BodyRez from TC Helicon?

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-23-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Does anyone know the price on this pedal? Another question would be how many bands of feedback suppression it has. One thing I love on my Boss VE-8 that I haven't seen on anything else is that I can turn the reverb on on the 1/4" outputs but off on the XLR out. I'm assuming the Zoom AC-2 sends its reverb to the XLR out. A little reverb on the stage monitor is nice but I can't think of any instance where the guy running sound would want my reverb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can download the AC-2 manual off the Zoom product page (2nd link provided in the 1st post).

According to page 13 of the manual, the pre and post switch at the XLR out will send the pre-processed signal to the board. I interpret that to mean that you will get a completely dry signal (no modeling, no EQ, no reverb) at the XLR with the switch on "pre".
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 PM

Ideally it would be just the modeling, no reverb, and I could go either way on the EQ. A good soundman would prefer no EQ, but good sound guys are pretty rare...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 01:19 AM

Hi,

thanks to Zoom for offering three different units, the A3, the AC-2 and the AC-3. Why? They are really different. One with bells and whistles, presets and stuff, one WYSIWYG with effects and one WYSIWYG straight and simple.

So we can ask ourselves - how do I want to work? What do I need - what is nice to have and what is essential to me?

After answering these questions to myself I know that all three are not right for me but I know more than before. ;-)

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-24-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
After answering these questions to myself I know that all three are not right for me but I know more than before. ;-)

That was funny. I'm sure the Zoom engineers are reading this and going "what the heck does Ernie want then?!" "Ack!"

Old 05-24-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Hi,

thanks to Zoom for offering three different units, the A3, the AC-2 and the AC-3. Why? They are really different. One with bells and whistles, presets and stuff, one WYSIWYG with effects and one WYSIWYG straight and simple.

So we can ask ourselves - how do I want to work? What do I need - what is nice to have and what is essential to me?

cu

erniecaster
If I understand the AC-2 and AC-3 correctly, the AC-2 is going for the "your guitar only louder" goal, while the the AC-3 is aimed at actual modeling (making your guitar sound like a different guitar {when desired} and louder). The AC-3 might be more useful for the folks whose guitars have dry and bland "personalities". The synth-compatible Godin Multiac comes to mind. That guitar is intentionally built to be strong on fundamental frequencies and weak on overtones (to better facilitate synth triggering). It would probably provide a good "platform" for the AC-3's modeling.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
If I understand the AC-2 and AC-3 correctly, the AC-2 is going for the "your guitar only louder" goal, while the the AC-3 is aimed at actual modeling (making your guitar sound like a different guitar {when desired} and louder). The AC-3 might be more useful for the folks whose guitars have dry and bland "personalities". The synth-compatible Godin Multiac comes to mind. That guitar is intentionally built to be strong on fundamental frequencies and weak on overtones (to better facilitate synth triggering). It would probably provide a good "platform" for the AC-3's modeling.

That's a great synopsis. They should have you write the marketing material. :-)

Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That was funny. I'm sure the Zoom engineers are reading this and going "what the heck does Ernie want then?!" "Ack!"

Rofl.

I could tell what I want...

A LR Baggs Venue with a built in one knob compressor.

Or a Tech21 Para D.I. with built in tuner and boost.

Give both a loop so everybody can put his favourite effects in there.

...but no one asks me.

cu

erniecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification