The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 09:26 AM

Just use Light gauge strings and the Martin will sound fine, play easily and no one will notice.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-12-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I'm on the fairway of the 18th hole. (At least I'm not in the rough.)

My D-35 is my "folk guitar" so it usually gets silk & steel strings.
I would definitely be in the rough if it was not for guitars in my life, especially a spectacular sounding new D35
Martin Shenandoah
Gibson Les Paul
Old 05-12-2021, 02:36 PM

I would certainly give light and light/mediums every chance to suit you as your new guitar opens up. Easier on the fingers and to bend, as you have noted. On various posts many folks are liking DR brand round core strings. I have DR Veritas on one guiter and got more sets to try on other ones.

Then you could have your action lowered about as much as the lighter strings will allow. Great playability gives as much pleasure as great tone, maybe more. I hear Martin guitars tend to come with fairly high action to allow adjustability.

Kindly let us know how it goes. - Stevo
Old 05-13-2021, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
With rosewood Martin dreadnoughts I’ve always had good luck using John Pearse 80/20’s. They do have noticeably lower tension than the Pearse phosphor bronze strings in the same gauges. Plus they just sound great with nice clarity and excellent bass response as well as good trebles.

whm
I’ll second that opinion, but add that the Pearses dont have much longevity. I still have a set of Retro Monels from Amartin Im really wanting to try next on my new D35. The factory strings just sound too good to change quite yet!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-13-2021, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

My vote is for a good setup.

I have my choice of strings, as do everybody else.

Allot of people spend their lives playing the generic out of the factory setup.

No matter the string. You need a proper setup for your area.

A proper setup will be the difference and ease of playability. And how long you're able to play. And, the difficulty level you are able to overcome.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 AM

I never needed anything but premium brand light gauge strings on any Martin I owned.

The “requirement” for mediums never reached us in the sticks.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-13-2021, 07:48 AM

Martin light/mediums are fantastic strings, but are very close to full bore mediums. All "medium/light" and "light/medium" string sets are not created equal across brands.

An alternative might be a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood medium/light PBs. Also a fantastic string and one my go-tos. A bit lighter than Martin's light/medium.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I still have a set of Retro Monels from Amartin Im really wanting to try next on my new D35. The factory strings just sound too good to change quite yet!
I did try the Retro 13-56 on the D35 and didn't care much for them...they had this metallic sound that repelled me. They were on for ~ 4 hrs. Both the factory installed Martin lifespans and the John Pearse strings were substantially better sounding on that guitar, to my ear.
Martin Shenandoah
Gibson Les Paul
Old 05-13-2021, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I have a 1967 D-35 and I use John Pearse PB light strings on it these days. My D-35 has gotten brighter over the years and the John Pearse PB formulation mellows out the trebles well.

I have a 2018 Martin D-45 and I use D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light) strings on this guitar. The John Pearse don't have enough treble for this guitar to sound its best, at least for me.

In my mind, it's the unwound strings that cause the tinny or "plinky" sound from a guitar like the D-35. Some players change out the high E and B strings with medium gauge versions of these strings to deal with the "plinky" sound of thinner unwound strings. I, personally, cannot handle those thicker unwound strings, as they really cause trouble with my osteoarthritis issues.

I have tried Martin Medium Light strings, a compromise set of strings with the high E string at 0.0125" diameter rather than the 0.012" for a light gauge set. For me and my osteoarthritis, I like light gauge strings.

If you are using a flat pick, the choice of pick can make a huge difference in the sound and can eliminate that "plinky" sound by using a thicker pick and the right plastic formulation. I have some picks from Charmed Life Picks that have a nice solid sound, 1.5mm thick made of Vespel or Cassein. For less money, the Dunlop Prime Tone picks work pretty well, 1.5mm or greater. Google Carl Miner and listen to him use a flat pick. He gets a great solid tone even though he is using in some cases light gauge strings. https://youtu.be/eDeGtJY1g3A

So, if you are a flat picker, consider learning to use thicker picks. If you are a finger picker, as I mostly am, consider using short nails. This keeps your nails stiffer, generating a more solid sound. You might consider checking out my YouTube channel to see what my guitars sound like.

Best of luck to you! Enjoy that new D-35!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-13-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the great Martin dread tradeoff. I could not (didn't want to) play .013s until I bought one used that had .004 relief. It was a revelation. But there is no reason not to use .012s. It's a tradeoff many make. I use .012s on two other dreads.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-13-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
... If you are using a flat pick... the Dunlop Prime Tone picks work pretty well, 1.5mm or greater... So, if you are a flat picker, consider learning to use thicker picks...
I only learned to flat pick decently after 50 years of finger picking. For cross picking back and forth where the pick has to flex both ways in the grip, I find that a thin pick like .88mm works best for me. Thick picks feel like holding a board.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
With rosewood Martin dreadnoughts I’ve always had good luck using John Pearse 80/20’s. They do have noticeably lower tension than the Pearse phosphor bronze strings in the same gauges. Plus they just sound great with nice clarity and excellent bass response as well as good trebles.

whm
Same here... after trying many brands with my old D35, I settled on these also.

Rick
Old 05-14-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have a 1967 D-35 and I use John Pearse PB light strings on it these days. My D-35 has gotten brighter over the years and the John Pearse PB formulation mellows out the trebles well.

I have a 2018 Martin D-45 and I use D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light) strings on this guitar. The John Pearse don't have enough treble for this guitar to sound its best, at least for me.

In my mind, it's the unwound strings that cause the tinny or "plinky" sound from a guitar like the D-35. Some players change out the high E and B strings with medium gauge versions of these strings to deal with the "plinky" sound of thinner unwound strings. I, personally, cannot handle those thicker unwound strings, as they really cause trouble with my osteoarthritis issues.

I have tried Martin Medium Light strings, a compromise set of strings with the high E string at 0.0125" diameter rather than the 0.012" for a light gauge set. For me and my osteoarthritis, I like light gauge strings.

If you are using a flat pick, the choice of pick can make a huge difference in the sound and can eliminate that "plinky" sound by using a thicker pick and the right plastic formulation. I have some picks from Charmed Life Picks that have a nice solid sound, 1.5mm thick made of Vespel or Cassein. For less money, the Dunlop Prime Tone picks work pretty well, 1.5mm or greater. Google Carl Miner and listen to him use a flat pick. He gets a great solid tone even though he is using in some cases light gauge strings. https://youtu.be/eDeGtJY1g3A

So, if you are a flat picker, consider learning to use thicker picks. If you are a finger picker, as I mostly am, consider using short nails. This keeps your nails stiffer, generating a more solid sound. You might consider checking out my YouTube channel to see what my guitars sound like.

Best of luck to you! Enjoy that new D-35!

- Glenn
Thanks for your terrific input! I know all about osteoarthritis of the hands
Martin Shenandoah
Gibson Les Paul
Old 05-14-2021, 07:08 PM

Just put the Santa Cruz mid tension strings on the Martin D35. They seem to do exactly what they claim…low tension…they feel like lights while sounding like mediums. Balanced volume across the strings is really noticeable and not like anything I have experienced before in a set of strings. Otherwise, they just have that appealing fresh string sound. Best set I’ve had on the D35 so far.
Martin Shenandoah
Gibson Les Paul
Old 05-16-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_el View Post
Just put the Santa Cruz mid tension strings on the Martin D35. They seem to do exactly what they claim…low tension…they feel like lights while sounding like mediums. Balanced volume across the strings is really noticeable and not like anything I have experienced before in a set of strings. Otherwise, they just have that appealing fresh string sound. Best set I’ve had on the D35 so far.
Very happy with the Santa Cruz mid tension strings. The other tweak I have made is using bone bridge pins instead of the plastic ones the D35 shipped with. They have added sustain and sound more jingly, especially on the treble strings. This helps even more with the overall tone of these medium strings.
Martin Shenandoah
Gibson Les Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion