The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Sunnaudio DI-2 Review

I took Vancebo's lead on this and bought one of these. I thought I'd give my review it's own thread.

The DI-2 is everything I wanted in a preamp:
  • Absolutely superb HiFi sound quality with both my Dazzo and K&K guitars. Better than anything else I have tried.
  • Small footprint
  • Boost button
  • Effects loop
  • 3 band EQ with mid sweep (internal)
  • Phantom powered in addition to battery or power supply

I was a little concerned about the buttons being too close together and accidentally hitting both when going for the boost. NON-ISSUE!!. Sunny made the boost switch a little higher for me so hitting the mute has to be very intentional. After using it, I don't think it would have been much of an issue anyway because with the large button caps, it's really easy to just use one side of your foot or the other. I also had him use different colored knobs for each but that is more of an aesthetic thing.

Having the Effects Loop with my tuner in it pretty much means I won't need the mute button. But for showing up at an open mic or doing a tweener at a bigger show or festival, just having this small guy in my pocket and a clip-on tuner, I'm ready to go so it's good to have it.

The 3-band EQ is very useful and responsive. I keep it fairly flat on my Dazzos as it just sounds so good right out of the box that way. But in some rooms and with some pickups like a K&K it's needed.

The HPF is a MUST on one of my guitars that's a bit boomy. So glad to have that right on top.

The adjustable boost is a pure honest clean boost.

The signal in general comes out fairly hot so I had to dial the gain back a little on my HK Audio Lucas Nano. Once I figured that out it was perfect.

Sunny was so great to work with on these little fine-tuned customizations. I love working with the small companies !!

I highly recommend this one, especially if you need a boost button.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...
Old 05-13-2021, 04:51 PM

I have to admit, there was a bit of pressure on me and my credibility when someone says they are buying on the recommendation of another. Whew! I am glad you like it.

You gave me an idea. I will swap out one of the larger buttons from my MS-2. I have a red set and a blue set. That way I can make it Blue for Boost. Red for eRadicate the sound. ...or something like that.

Let us know what you think about the internal dip switches. All of my guitars are Dazzoed. You have K&K and Dazzo. It will be interesting to see if you like the same settings for both of your pickups. Impedance and the presence boost I would think would work well on the same setting for both but you never know. I have the presence ON and the Impedance set to OFF which is the 5MOhms.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-13-2021, 07:34 PM

Another happy DI-2 customer! Count me in.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I have to admit, there was a bit of pressure on me and my credibility when someone says they are buying on the recommendation of another. Whew! I am glad you like it.

You gave me an idea. I will swap out one of the larger buttons from my MS-2. I have a red set and a blue set. That way I can make it Blue for Boost. Red for eRadicate the sound. ...or something like that.

Let us know what you think about the internal dip switches. All of my guitars are Dazzoed. You have K&K and Dazzo. It will be interesting to see if you like the same settings for both of your pickups. Impedance and the presence boost I would think would work well on the same setting for both but you never know. I have the presence ON and the Impedance set to OFF which is the 5MOhms.
That's exactly what I did with my custom colored knobs - BLUE for the boost that matched the cool LED under the knob, and RED for the mute. Red means stop, right?

I'll play with the internal pots some more and report back.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification