The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2021, 07:17 AM

Yes the Tonedeq and Flyrig are quite similar. Hard to say which is better. The Tonedeq has added EQ options though with a mid sweep para EQ and also a low pass (hi cut) filter. Also the Flyrig allows me more space on my pedalboard, so I give the edge to the Flyrig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Jack, I see you have the Fishman Tonedeq in your sig, how does the Flyrig compare to that? Better, worse or just different...
Old 05-10-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Thanks Rudy, I will check out your topic. You're probably right about not worrying about the looper, but the Zoom A1 Four unit is a convenient multi fx. The looper is so easy to use and even though it's only 30 seconds, it's an integral part of my gigs. I'll loop a chorus or verse and work over that.

Here's a link to a cover of You're My Best Friend using the A1 Four where I loop the verse to solo over.
https://youtu.be/-96m_LIgMNs

Also, I do have an EHX 720 looper.
Thanks again.
Very nice job on the Queen cover. Your loop is seemless and pretty much undetectable if you aren't looking for it.

I had hopes that Zoom would add more loop time when they came out with the newer unit, but they kept it at 30 seconds. That would have been the best way they could have made a inexpensive multi-effects more useful. There's so many times when 30 seconds is painfully close to being too short, and it would have cost them almost nothing to bump up the available time to something more usable for many. Five minutes loop time is what many loopers had previously defined as plenty of time for any single loop use.

I started my looper quest by going the multi-effects route with the G1on. Checking out a looper "inexpensively" is really the reason I purchased the G1on, but I've found it useful for adding my favorite verb to amps that don't have built-in effects. It also has the built-in headphone amp which is a nice late-night couch strumming feature with a electric guitar.

I then went to a Boss RC-1, progressed to a Electro-harmonix 720, and purchased Electro-harmonix's upgraded 20-style looper, the Electro-harmonix 1440.

The 1440 is a very nice looper and may be as far as I need to go up the food chain.

The 1440 has individually adjustable fades for each of the 20 stored loop locations and the loop fades read out directly in number of seconds.

I've been using my looper in a more unconventional manner lately, doing count in beats and recording entire songs, including end tags and fades with it. Doing that essentially makes it a multi-track recorder since I run guitar into one side of the stereo loop and electric bass through the other side.

This provides a "backing band" for developing songs and can also be used to incorporate it into videos by combining it when the video is edited.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-10-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Rudy.
The 720 is a good looper, just an extra pedal to bring lol. I'm all about keeping it light and minimal. but if I go Flyrig or Fishman Tonedeq, then I'll have to get used to bringing the extra looper pedal.
What you are doing with the 1440 is pretty cool.
Thanks for your help.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-11-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Does anyone know if there’s a way to control how much chorus you use? Or is it just on or off?
The effect level control adjusts the amount of delay and chorus depending on which one you have active. I like the chorus on here a lot.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:31 PM

Thanks. What's weird is the manual says that knob controls the volume of the effect....which isn't exactly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksh24 View Post
The effect level control adjusts the amount of delay and chorus depending on which one you have active. I like the chorus on here a lot.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes the Tonedeq and Flyrig are quite similar. Hard to say which is better. The Tonedeq has added EQ options though with a mid sweep para EQ and also a low pass (hi cut) filter. Also the Flyrig allows me more space on my pedalboard, so I give the edge to the Flyrig.
Thanks Jack

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification