The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-25-2021, 08:19 AM

Question Standalone 2 Channel Recorder Suggestions?

I have the full blown daw recording setup but im thinking of getting a standalone 2 channel quality recorder that would allow me to record guitar in any room or area of the house using a couple of condenser mics.
Can anyone suggest anything that might be suitable?
Regards.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Not sure of what you are looking for as far as price / quality, but the Sound Devices MixPre-3 might be a good option to consider.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-25-2021, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
I have the full blown daw recording setup but im thinking of getting a standalone 2 channel quality recorder that would allow me to record guitar in any room or area of the house using a couple of condenser mics.
Regards.
Hi RobKay
  • Sound Devices Mix-pre 3 II
  • Zoom F-6

More channels than you asked for, but equal to about any preamps in the portable class around. Zoom actually has an F4 & F8 which are solid, but getting a little long in the tooth (haven't been updated for years).

If quality at that level is not necessary, the Zoom H4n will do it. I use one for recording dialogue for shooting video interviews. But dialog is different than music.

Have fun capturing your sounds-n-songs!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-25-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
Regards.
Depends on your needs expectations. I've used inexpensive Zoom handhelds for this, but it mostly for capturing "field recordings" to be used inside my DAW or occasionally for capturing a musical idea, and in those cases I'm using the built-in mics. A modern smartphone can also serve for this sort of thing. For some of these field recording things, the ability to store the whole thing in your pocket and operate and aim it with one hand has value. However, by your mention of "condenser mics" I'm guessing you may value higher quality recordings.*

I'm still of two minds about the Izotope Spire Studio which I own but haven't used much yet. I think it can make excellent recordings, and the AI-style automatic "enhancement" features using parts of the existing line of Izotope software** might be useful to some. The recording interface is on your phone or tablet, which can be helpful, and does allow some basic production, mixing and even mastering on the fly. For me, that interface still frustrates me in not offering me options as to what I want to do next, or clear indications about what it is about to do, or what I could do alternatively -- but others here have no such issues.

*If so, the location you record in and the mic placement you use will likely be key to getting the best quality recordings, not the last bit of "you get what you pay for" in equipment.

**I already own a bunch of the Izotope software in it's DAW plugin form and I think it's excellent, but it's automatic choices or presets there show me what it's doing, and let me modify that or choose to "drive it manually" with my own choices.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-25-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

If it's for recording at home, I would recommend the Spire. If you want to take it places, like for recording outdoors, I would go with the Zoom H4n.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD