The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 09:16 PM

NoodleFingers, I have a question. The Ernie Ball Eathwoods I tried a while back (phosphor bronze 12s) were very rough finished, quite noisy and abrasive under the left hand. (That's a description not a complaint.) It made them good for some things - e.g., getting a nice bluesy rasp, but bad for other things (unwanted fretting-hand noise). A huge contrast to something like Elixirs, which are silky smooth. (Again, a description, not a compliment - they are the least noisy strings around, but at the cost of character.)

With that distinction in mind, how would you describe the Paradigms? Does the coating make them smooth and quiet under the left hand (like Elixirs)? Or does it just help them last longer while retaining the sandpaper sound and feel of Earthwoods?

------------------------------

Fishwatcher, I'm not going to recommend anything specific as I'm not famiiliar with the D'Addario Nickel Bronze. (I've had a set here for ages but haven't tried them out yet.) But I'm happy to recommend http://stringsdirect.co.uk if you are in that part of the world, or forum sponsor Strings By Mail in the USA. Excellent service from both companies, a huge range of strings to try, and very reasonable pricing. Just jump on to one website or the other and order half a dozen different things. Strings are cheap! Try some new ones out.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.

Last edited by Tannin; 05-14-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:52 PM

GHS vintage bronze sound good on everything. IMHO.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:05 AM

If you like Santa Cruz Parabolics, try Straight Up Strings. https://straightupstrings.com/. They are my preferred brand on most of my guitars.

I like DR Sunbeams on one of the guitars that doesnt sound good with the SUS’s.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Adamas, not easy to find, but cheap. The biggest tone I’ve ever found and easy to play (round core)
Big +1 for this! I love Adamas phosphore bronze.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwatcher View Post
...I really like D'Addario NB...

The guitars in my collection are: Baby Taylor, Blueridge BR-43, Yamaha F435SY, Bristol BD-16...
Since you're heavy on mahogany-bodied instruments and like the D'A NB's, try a set of Martin Retro Monels...
Old 05-15-2021, 01:44 PM

Always difficult to change strings with Monels in the rotation, though. At least for me, they seem to last forever!)
Old 05-15-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Here's the Rotosound guy again.
Super Bronze
Old 05-15-2021, 04:30 PM

Elixirs Nanowebs have never disappointed me.

Last edited by OMsong; 08-13-2022 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Mst.cncede.sh*.isLive.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
NoodleFingers, I have a question. The Ernie Ball Eathwoods I tried a while back (phosphor bronze 12s) were very rough finished, quite noisy and abrasive under the left hand. (That's a description not a complaint.) It made them good for some things - e.g., getting a nice bluesy rasp, but bad for other things (unwanted fretting-hand noise). A huge contrast to something like Elixirs, which are silky smooth. (Again, a description, not a compliment - they are the least noisy strings around, but at the cost of character.)

With that distinction in mind, how would you describe the Paradigms? Does the coating make them smooth and quiet under the left hand (like Elixirs)? Or does it just help them last longer while retaining the sandpaper sound and feel of Earthwoods?
I've never found the Earthwoods or the Paradigms to be unusually rough or "sandpaper-like," but they definitely do not have the slickness of Elixirs. That's what I like about them. I've got nothing against Elixirs except that first-few-days slipperiness (which drives me crazy).

But the Elixirs do tamp down on string squeak somewhat, and the Paradigms do not at all. The only clue to the fact that they are coated is their longevity.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
If you like Santa Cruz Parabolics, try Straight Up Strings. https://straightupstrings.com/. They are my preferred brand on most of my guitars.

I like DR Sunbeams on one of the guitars that doesnt sound good with the SUS’s.
What kind of guitars are you using these on and what tension. I understand that they come in two tensions? Also, in an article in Fretboard Journal they suggested that the heavier tension is perhaps better for short scale guitars.

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion