The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 01:00 PM

My wife gigged as part of a duo before we married and still plays with two worship bands. So she gets guitars. She was playing a Gibson J100 XTRA when we married but quickly claimed my 1960 J200 as her own. In fact, while I am not likely to be acquiring anything else without a trade being involved, I predict that the next guitar which we purchase outright will be for her. I further predict it will be a Huss & Dalton.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:05 PM

I never have to worry about my spouse vs my guitars, as long as her cellos are larger and more expensive than my guitars.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-16-2022, 01:10 PM

My guess is that these types of discussions ultimately stem from people not discussing financial matters clearly with each other. When my ex wife and I were together we would typically talk to each other about larger purchases (for us that usually meant more than a few hundred dollars). And it wasn't about asking for permission, we were both responsible and not making crazy purchases, but about keeping each other involved, as ultimately we were one unit financially.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 01-16-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

My wife is totally on board. She knows I’m responsible and she likes me to be happy. And, it works both ways. I love seeing my wife enjoying life. Guitars are great and so is my wife. So Guitars vs Spouse? No contest here.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

. … I have a long history of purchasing guitars that I not only didn’t need but couldn’t afford….my wife remembers our early days when such expenditures put undo pressure on our financial situation….during our child raising years I pretty much kept my shoulder to the grindstone and made providing for my family a priority….there wasn’t much time for music and I easily made do with a single electric and a single acoustic

…..once the kids grew up I got back into playing music…that was around Y2K and the internet opened a whole new world of guitar geekery and acquisition so I kind of fell into old ways much to my wife’s displeasure…. I have bought and sold literally hundreds of guitars amps pedals and all manner of related gear in the last couple decades…. I now have the means to finance my habits but I have taken my foot of the gas… pun intended….. my wife will never understand or encourage my obsession…. I admit it is entirely selfish…. but she does see how much I enjoy it and how much i do actually play my instruments. she’s cool with it as long as I keep it in check

Last edited by J Patrick; 01-16-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
My wife is totally on board. She knows I’m responsible and she likes me to be happy. And, it works both ways. I love seeing my wife enjoying life. Guitars are great and so is my wife. So Guitars vs Spouse? No contest here.
This describes my situation as well. My wife like my music, likes that I enjoy owning and playing different guitars, usually listens to my ruminations about guitars, jams, songs I am trying to learn, etc., etc.

I have room for 7 guitars in a closet in the guest room, and she is happiest when they can all fit in there and there aren’t cases sitting in the floor. But even then, she has tolerated lengthy periods when I have owned more than 7, and a case or two became part of the decor of the guest bedroom.

My wife knows that I am financially responsible and quite honest with her about everything that has happened since we met.

And I encourage her in her writing, and recently supported her in her decision to purchase a piano, including listening to her ruminations and encouraging to spend a bit more to get a higher quality instrument.

So, in our house there is no such thing as “Spouses vs.guitars”. It is about our team/pack (we include the dog) acting in a cooperative and (presumably) wise way: two heads are better than one. We bring two heads to any important decision, and are comfortable coaching one another to the decision that best fits our wishes, our lifestyle, and our personal limitations.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

A more apropos title in my case might be,

Guitars Because of Spouses

Ever since my wife figured out what guitars mean to me she has had a part in virtually every significant guitar that I own. She sticks her head in the guitar room while I'm playing, listens, and says, "Sounds great! I'm glad we've been able to get you these guitars." She knows my guitars and comments about their individual characters.

She's a great wife, and this is just one example of her character. I put her first and she has earned it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:02 PM

In late 2002, I began the process of having Jamie Kinscherff build a custom guitar for me with the enthusiastic support of my wife. As we were looking at and tap tuning flitches of rosewood for the b/s, Jamie said, “I know you said you didn’t want brazilian, but listen to this…. He tapped a piece and it sounded like Big Ben. Now we had been tapping EA rosewood, but this piece sounded like something completely different - magnificent! My wife was standing all the way across a good sized room and she called over to me, “Buy it!” She knew, as I knew that the upcharge at that time for brazilian was $2000, and she told me to buy it. I don’t have a problem with my wife.

Further, she always told me that she would never buy me a guitar, because she knew she didn’t know enough about them to make a good choice. That withstanding, she has bought me a Martin acoustic bass, and a fiddle, both pleasing me greatly.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

My wife is very supportive me acquiring new instruments especially since it's how I make a living. She knows Im responsible and am the one who weighs whether or not it affects our finances. She will be the one to say, just get it.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-16-2022, 02:08 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
…she always told me that she would never buy me a guitar, because she knew she didn’t know enough about them to make a good choice.
My wife has bought me two guitars…but only after I picked them out.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:29 PM

Me: "I'm thinking of getting another guitar, but I don't have anyplace to put it."

Her: "Well, there's room to hang at least 3 more in the living room."

So now it looks like I have to get 3 more!
Old 01-16-2022, 03:02 PM

Honestly sometimes I don't get it. We go to what we in Indiana refer to as Brown County. (Nashville, Indiana) Lots of small shops, a few places to eat and a music store.

So while my wife is spending money in the shops I go into the music store, Weed Patch Music Company. I start play different guitars till she has done her thing.

They have a nice Washburn for $269 with case. I get "What do you need with another one"? I say I like it. Needless to say I walk out with out it. I was just yanking her chain anyway but I still could have taken it home.

Then last night we went out to eat. She shows me on her phone an Epiphone that someone is selling. Good price, I almost said contact them we will be over after we eat to have look see.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-16-2022, 03:09 PM

My wife has bought me my last 3 guitars. She doesn't play but she pays attention to my rambling on about what I would like next. I know she does it because I'm sure she believes it helps with my mental health.

She is a keeper (30 years and counting).
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-16-2022, 03:17 PM

My wife doesn’t really care how many guitars are around. She does understand different tools for different uses. And I’m pretty disciplined about keeping the hobby/fun money separate from the general fund. I will get an eye roll when a new one shows up. She was glad when I bought my J-45 so I would stop talking about it.

She comes to (some of) my gigs, likes what I do, and in her words, is a sucker for a serenade.

Getting girls was on my mind long ago when I first picked up a guitar. It worked.

Last edited by Skarsaune; 01-16-2022 at 03:19 PM. Reason: More
Old 01-16-2022, 03:20 PM

Well, I feel like I'm in partnership with my wife regarding guitars...and that's been wonderful! She assists with listening intently and naming many of my tunes so there's a collaborative spirit going on there. Of course the target was "one out, one in", but that's faded in recent years, but I know I'm maxed out right now so anything more will surely mean selling one or even two. She knows how much each costs, why it's being considered, the research into the guitar and or builder and how it's being paid for. She likes some way better than others....including ones she wouldn't want me to sell.......the 12 string, her favorite, the Doerr Custom built for me, "that's got to stay with you forever".........another one, "The one I don't like" (it's a joke)......they all have a bit of internal history. The McCollum....."Gotta Believe"........(thought I'd lost it..... twice to other multiple offers in the purchase deal)

Her approach is quite simple....."if you want....buy the darn thing" (with an encouragement to not over think or stress about things). That simple approach clears the way....BUT, places the burden back on me to responsibly consider what I'm going to do or not do with a purchase. The freedom to go ahead and buy it, produces a careful assessment of whether this is a passing thing or something to responsibly move ahead on.

Often her response to friends about my guitars is to joke that she's spent more on material for her quilts than any guitar that's been welcomed into the house! While this is NOT the case, it's her way of supporting both privately and publicly.
Finally, I put her to sleep many nights as I play/practice while she turns in early in our bedroom across the hallway, which she loves. Can't ask for more than that!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 01-16-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: word insert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion