The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2022, 06:46 AM

Default K&K Trinity System - Headway EDB-2 H.E. vs K&K Quantum Blender

Hi Fellow Musicians!

I'll soon receive a new guitar with the k&k trinity system and have yet to decide on a suitable preamp.

I've searched through the forum already and the all time classics like the DTAR are almost impossible to find.

I've pretty much reduced it to two options, the new headway edb-2 h.e. (now has dedicated EQs for each channel) or the K&K Quantum Blender. Price ain't really a deciding factor (the Headway is a bit cheaper).

Has anyone tried both preamps in comparison - either of the two got good reviews? I prefer the Headway's layout and options, soundwise it's difficult to find a comparison.

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2022, 10:43 AM

What about the K&K Trinity preamp ? I used it with the Trinity system (SBT+mic) and it worked fine. Still does on various bandmate's guitars.

Considering the Headway you should study the specs to find out about voltage sent to the mic. The latest version of the Trinity mic accepts 5V as sent by the latest version of the K&K pres. Sending 9V or even 12V to the mic will destroy it. I have the older version of the Trinity mic, so no problem with 9V.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 01-14-2022, 05:31 PM

Main reason I want an external system with potis is that I already have one guitar with a k&k which is quite different from the one I'm getting.

If I need to adjust EQ on the fly I don't want to open the case and use a screwdriver, it's pure convenience.

I just checked the quantum stats and it still sends 9V. Looking at other posts I feel there's a bit of unclarity regarding the mics, I absolutely don't want to blow it but people have been using the headway without issues. I've seen posts mentioning a voltage gate which simply doesn't allow any current to flow once a certain voltage threshold is passed.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevasto View Post
Main reason I want an external system with potis is that I already have one guitar with a k&k which is quite different from the one I'm getting.

If I need to adjust EQ on the fly I don't want to open the case and use a screwdriver, it's pure convenience.

I just checked the quantum stats and it still sends 9V. Looking at other posts I feel there's a bit of unclarity regarding the mics, I absolutely don't want to blow it but people have been using the headway without issues. I've seen posts mentioning a voltage gate which simply doesn't allow any current to flow once a certain voltage threshold is passed.
Ask Headway what voltage and what amperage it's preamp sends to the mic. Then ask K&K what is maximum voltage and amperage its internal mic can accept. Compare specs. That's the only way to be sure.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevasto View Post
Hi Fellow Musicians!

I'll soon receive a new guitar with the k&k trinity system and have yet to decide on a suitable preamp.

I've searched through the forum already and the all time classics like the DTAR are almost impossible to find.

I've pretty much reduced it to two options, the new headway edb-2 h.e. (now has dedicated EQs for each channel) or the K&K Quantum Blender. Price ain't really a deciding factor (the Headway is a bit cheaper).

Has anyone tried both preamps in comparison - either of the two got good reviews? I prefer the Headway's layout and options, soundwise it's difficult to find a comparison.

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Thanks in advance
Hi sevasto…

First of all, hello and welcome to the forum!!

I've played K&K passive Trinity systems for about 17 years (switched 2 yrs back to a ToneDexter plus K&K Pure Mini). All 5 of my acoustics still have the dual source rig inside as a backup. And I own a Raven PMB II and DTAR Solstice as my backup preamps.

If buying today, I'd buy the Grace Felix (you say price is not the issue). That is the best boots preamp I've personally heard and seen.

I dislike K&K preamps. They are laid out awkwardly for live play. They tend to be long and narrow, don't fit in a rack, and don't fit well on top of the amp.

The channels are laid out side by side, not one above the other for ease of adjustment when playing live. Also they charge too many $$$ for too few features.

They sound sub-par for preamps in that price range. They need an upgrade…

The Headway EDB-2 is a good sounding choice (I owned an original EDB-1 and the combined EQ was why I sold it). They are not built as sturdy as Grace preamps, and again, they are a very awkward form factor. Too big to wear on the belt or strap, and too awkward on the floor (with input/output cables dangling).

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Again…welcome to the forum!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-15-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Ask Headway what voltage and what amperage it's preamp sends to the mic. Then ask K&K what is maximum voltage and amperage its internal mic can accept. Compare specs. That's the only way to be sure.
Hi sdelsolray
The latest K&K Pure mini will shut down if you feed it more than 9V.

I have older K&K Pure Mini rigs with Silver Bullet mics which I have run at full 18V for years without failures. I feel this was a deliberate alteration of the Pure Mini to force people into using their preamps...which are sub-par compared to many others.

I heard of someone who ordered directly from Grace who produced a unit with 9V output for the K&K Trinity (Silver Bullet) mic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-15-2022, 07:08 PM

Yes, they want you to use their preamp.....

I have the little battery operated Trinity Pro and share it with 5 guitars loaded with the K&K pickup + mic.

I set the EQs dead flat, didn’t need a lot of the gain knob, and can run it out mixed already in mono to a nice little A&H mixer to adjust everything and add a small splash of a reverb/delay preset. I can run to a PA or use headphones or in ears. If I use my in ears and no monitors, I can use the mic on FULL. Sounds fabulous.

Honestly, I have never altered anything except level on the mixer - the K&K EQ is nice run flat.

You can run 2 separate leads out of the pre with pickup and mic to sep channels of my mixer......but I have done it maybe twice, and gone back to the mono mixed out.

I also get a great sound turning the mic off and running a mono lead to my Tonedexter with appropriate file.....has feedback prevention control, DI, etc.

BluesKing777.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Considering the Headway you should study the specs to find out about voltage sent to the mic. The latest version of the Trinity mic accepts 5V as sent by the latest version of the K&K pres. Sending 9V or even 12V to the mic will destroy it. I have the older version of the Trinity mic, so no problem with 9V.
I’m not sure this is correct. The spec for the K&K Quantum Blender, designed for the Trinity, is that it supplies 9Vdc. Do you have a link to a K&K reference for the 5Vdc spec?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification