The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2022, 10:07 AM

Default Just What is a “Slope Shoulder”?

What determines what a slope shoulder dreadnaught is? Is it the sixth or depth
of the upper bout? Is it the opinion of the manufacturer? Is it just marketingspeak? If I there is no definitive measure or standard to determine what the heck it is, why do we even use the term? It becomes meaningless. For instance, I have a Recording King RDS.11. Is that a slope shoulder or not? RK doesn’t call it a slope shoulder, but it looks just like several other dreads that are or at least are called slope shouldered.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

A Gibson J-45 is a "slope shoulder" dread and a D-28 is a square shoulder dread. Lower bout is a bit wider on the slope shoulder typically and the upper bout is a bit rounded. The RDS 11 is a square shoulder dread...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 01-13-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Is it not a guitar body that wasn't modified to fit a 14 fret to the body neck? In my mind a true slope shoulder should have an elongated body and a 12 fret neck. Of course that is related to a dreadnought body, not necessarily a jumbo. My Gibson style historical knowledge is deficient.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:27 AM

The dreadnaught has an upper bout that goes straight out for a bit, then starts it's curve down.

A slope shoulder type starts to transition to the curve much sooner (curve starts ALMOST immediately).

(Yamaha Dread)

(Gibson J-45 slope shoulder)

Note how much flatter for longer the upper bout is on the Yamaha vs the Gibson. From my understanding, that is the difference. You can also look at the Gibson J-45 and the Hummingbird to see a difference

Here is the recording king that you mentioned I would call it a standard dreadnaught style (martin type) design.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 01-13-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

….it’s a guitar with shoulders on the upper bouts that come into the neck at angle that is less 90 degrees creating a slope as they extend from the point that they intersect with the neck….that as opposed to the shoulders coming into the neck at 90 degrees or perpendicular creating a square shelf…..
Old 01-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

12 Fret Slopes are great fingerstyle instruments.....just sayin'......

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 01-13-2022, 10:33 AM

Nothing new under the sun folks:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ad.php?t=37205
Old 01-13-2022, 10:40 AM

One thing to note. A slope shoulder design changes the acoustic properties of the guitar making it sound like it has a bit more bass than a square shoulder. In reality, it just has less mid and little less of the high frequencies. Some say this is why it's called a singer/songwriter type. It's a better guitar to accompany a vocal. That said, the D-18 is a classic for all types of music for a reason.

I've played the J-45 (several) and the D-18 (again, several). I found that some J-45s had a much better bass when played, while the D-18 was more balanced. However, I also found a few J-45s that were lacking the bigger bass...it's might just be a Gibson thing...
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 01-13-2022, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
One thing to note. A slope shoulder design changes the acoustic properties of the guitar making it sound like it has a bit more bass than a square shoulder. In reality, it just has less mid and little less of the high frequencies.
Not according to how Santa Cruz defines their slope shoulder dreadnought (D 12). They state that it enhances the bass response without having to sacrifice mids and highs.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
Not according to how Santa Cruz defines their slope shoulder dreadnought (D 12). They state that it enhances the bass response without having to sacrifice mids and highs.
SCGC's D-12 is a bit of a different animal. A 12 fret slope shoulder dread (all 12 fret dreads are that I've seen?) that has the body depth of a 000/OM. I believe the OP is referring to 14 fret dreads with a more standard body depth.
That being said...the D-12 is a great guitar. One I should have held onto...

Old 01-13-2022, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

The SCGC D12 is built in the style of Martin 12 fret original dreadnaught, which is a different animal than the Gibson style 12 fret Smeck.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
The SCGC D12 is built in the style of Martin 12 fret original dreadnaught, which is a different animal than the Gibson style 12 fret Smeck.
Yep...it can be very confusing?

Old 01-13-2022, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I agree, but the Smeck is a jumbo as opposed to a dreadnought.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
SCGC's D-12 is a bit of a different animal. A 12 fret slope shoulder dread (all 12 fret dreads are that I've seen?) that has the body depth of a 000/OM. I believe the OP is referring to 14 fret dreads with a more standard body depth.
That being said...the D-12 is a great guitar. One I should have held onto...

…is this true of all Santa Cruz D-12’s.…the D-12 page on the SC website says nothing about the shallow depth you speak of….I played one once years ago and don’t recall it being shallower but I honestly dont know….I would find that to be a very attractive feature..
Old 01-13-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…is this true of all Santa Cruz D-12’s.…the D-12 page on the SC website says nothing about the shallow depth you speak of….I played one once years ago and don’t recall it being shallower but I honestly dont know….I would find that to be a very attractive feature..
I'm curious as well. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion