The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2022, 02:15 PM

Default Video File Size?

I have some experience in amateur audio recording, but I'm just now getting into video. I took a 39 second video on my Canon Rebel T3i, and it amounted to 237 MB! Is that typical? Should I care? That's with the resolution set to 1920x1080 and 24 fps. Obviously I could get a smaller file size with a smaller resolution setting, but do I want to do that? I guess the key question is, can one compress a video file similar to how a .wav can be compressed to an mp3 (or m4a)? Or does one just have to deal with these huge file sizes if one's going to be messing around with video?

Come to think of it, I did import this video into iMovie, stripped off its soundtrack, and added a .wav that I had, and the whole thing ended up 99 MB, so iMovie obviously compressed it. It went from an .MOV to an .mp4. I don't think I reduced the resolution setting in iMovie. (I guess that answers my own question?)

Anyway, is there anything I'm not "getting" about these super-large file sizes for videos?

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-08-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I have some experience in amateur audio recording, but I'm just now getting into video. I took a 39 second video on my Canon Rebel T3i, and it amounted to 237 MB! Is that typical? Should I care? That's with the resolution set to 1920x1080 and 24 fps. Obviously I could get a smaller file size with a smaller resolution setting, but do I want to do that? I guess the key question is, can one compress a video file similar to how a .wav can be compressed to an mp3 (or m4a)? Or does one just have to deal with these huge file sizes if one's going to be messing around with video?

Come to think of it, I did import this video into iMovie, stripped off its soundtrack, and added a .wav that I had, and the whole thing ended up 99 MB, so iMovie obviously compressed it. It went from an .MOV to an .mp4. I don't think I reduced the resolution setting in iMovie. (I guess that answers my own question?)

Anyway, is there anything I'm not "getting" about these super-large file sizes for videos?
There are levels of compression in movie formats just like MP3, JPG, et al, i.e., any "lossy" compression can be dialed in, though in many movie editing apps it's usually limited. You can use separate tools to fiddle with that, if you want.

With many of the videos I upload to YouTube, I use 720p. It used to be called HD, but with 4k taking over I think it's an unlabeled resolution between SD and 1080 in YT these days. For home stuff, especially if you've done any cropping of 1080 video, it's going to look fine on most phones (IMO/IME). I only use 1080 when I don't do any cropping or if I see some artifact of the 720 down-res that goes away when I render in the original 1080. (Sometimes there are issues with that, too, if you are are changing underlying format or compression.)
Old 01-08-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I have some experience in amateur audio recording, but I'm just now getting into video. I took a 39 second video on my Canon Rebel T3i, and it amounted to 237 MB! Is that typical?
Yes, that is common. Video file sizes are bigger than audio by factors of 20-30 (or more with 4K/8K). There's so much more information stored than with audio.

The file straight out of the camera is always HUGE, as it contains as much data as possible so that you can use it in everything from amateur to pro scenarios.

Generally you always recompress as you create a final version to distribute.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-08-2022, 04:19 PM
Eric Skye

Quick thought about getting into video from someone that starting getting into just a few years ago; you're gonna need a bigger hard drive, probably a few of them, ideally SSD.. If you are not into video and wonder why people care so much about big external hard drives, RAM, and processing power, etc, getting into video makes all of that crystal clear very quick. Last year I self-produced a 90-min lesson video for Homespun. The raw files from multiple cameras, multiple takes, the final cut files, the audio, the backups... All the stuff needed for the project in total was well over 800 gigs.. Video is nuts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD