The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Tiny House

So after my wife and I have been traveling full time we've realized we really do not need the space we thought we did. When we stop traveling in a few years we've decided to build a smaller or tiny home.

Has anyone taken this jump? Any ideas for guitar spaces in smaller homes and spaces.

Just thought I'd start up a conversation on this.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:33 PM
Musical minimalist

Something interesting I've noticed in the last couple years - the modular home companies around here are offering some 600-ish sq. ft. homes now. Previously the smallest seemed to be around 850.

The typical tiny home is going to be around 450 I believe, so the 600 version may give you more guitar closet room!

Old 01-07-2022, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

I've watched a lot of the tiny house shows and although I've lived in an 880 sq. ft. cabin for the past decade, I couldn't imagine living in a 400-600 sq. ft. tiny home. I'd love to see a show where we see tiny house living after a year. In my mind, tiny houses are for people who wouldn't be caught dead in an RV....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-07-2022, 10:03 PM

I like the idea of a small home. I looked into it to discover possibilities. One thing I noticed is the limitations with a narrow floor plan. It crowds everything. A circular or similar design offers a lot of openness with small footage. A 30' x 30' circular structure with a peaked loft can afford a lot in limited space. Plenty of room for storage and guitars with the right floor plan. I could live with it!
Old 01-08-2022, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've watched a lot of the tiny house shows and although I've lived in an 880 sq. ft. cabin for the past decade, I couldn't imagine living in a 400-600 sq. ft. tiny home. I'd love to see a show where we see tiny house living after a year. In my mind, tiny houses are for people who wouldn't be caught dead in an RV....
We have a total length of about 42 feet in our fifth wheel with all the slides out most spaces are probably as wide as 12 feet. I would say our total square footage is around 400 Sq feet of living space. We have a 2 story house of about 1600 Sq feet and never used the upstairs. It is certainly possible to live comfortably in small spaces. I think really it comes down to amenities. We have a residential fridge stove and large TV and I even have a small office area for work related things and guitars.

I just do not believe we will be mobile forever but I cannot see us going back to having unnecessary spaces.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:23 AM

Check this out:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/tin...#post-25636782
Old 01-08-2022, 02:59 AM

I see those tiny houses and think "Wow, that's pretty cool", and then I look at my own home, which is right around 6,800 square feet, and I can't wrap my head around something so small.

That said, I'm a single guy and could probably do fine with something much smaller...

Last edited by Street Glider; 01-09-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:23 AM

8 guitars in your signature - you need room for them.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-08-2022, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

My first house was 650 sq feet, and was fine for just me. But that was before the internet and the influence of AGF when I owned just one guitar and was perfectly happy to have that.

But then, I got married and suddenly things got cramped. We bought a 1200 sq ft condo and have been perfectly content living in it for the past 33+ years.

I can't say that somebody else wouldn't be happy in a tiny house just because I wouldn't be at this point in my life. Like another poster said, it would be interesting to hear of tiny house inhabitants' stories after some real length of time living in them. I have only read one such story and the person(s) ended up moving back into larger quarters.

When I was in the Army, everything I owned fit in a duffle bag. These days, that would be impossible. Such has been the arc of my life.

Tony
Old 01-08-2022, 05:49 AM

Id like to have a tiny house as a second home/hermitage…some where kind of isolated.

When my wife and I were first dating, she was living in a 700 sq ft. house, and we were living in different cities at that time. It was sweet when i would come to spend a long weekend with her…but i was just visiting, and none of my stuff was stored there. And the few times we had friends over for dinner, it was a bit of an adventure: the kitchen was small and minimally equipped, there was only room for a very small kitchen table tucked into a corner, etc. And all of this was before I bought some guitars, and my wife bought a piano. But I have fond memories that space, and the simplicity of that time, and that is the basis for my fantasy that a tiny house would be really nice as a place for weekend escapes and personal retreats. Maybe a hay bale house….

We currently live in 2000 sq ft. We could reduce our footprint some, but year round living in 600-700 sq ft would probably be too much of a reduction for us at this stage of life.

Regarding OP’s question about guitar storage in a tiny house: all my guitar stuff fits in a closet. So that alone is 15 sq ft when it is organized…but i need a chair and a music stand and some other space when I am playing. In effect, I can easily allocate a a small bedroom space or its equivalent just for my guitar hobby, unless I sell some guitars and my amp and other gear. Yes, i could have one guitar and a single file of music and store the guitar under a bed or behind the couch. But I’d have to be seriously motivated to do so…. AND, my wife has some space needs of her own, for her books and her piano, and other endeavors. It sounds like you have been comfortable sharing a small space with your wife when you have been traveling…it is just a question of what that would feel like for the two of you, year after year.

Last edited by buddyhu; 01-08-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

I like the idea of a “Tiny” house but it would have to be in a climate that is sunny/warm year round. This way we can spend most of our time out of the house.

My wife and I moved from an 800 sq for apt to a 2300 sq foot house (plus garage). We really don’t need much more then that, but With a 4 year old it would not be practical to down size, at least until the kid moved out.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-08-2022, 06:17 AM

I've looked into it because our 100+ year old cabin isn't something that seems worth putting too much money into.

As our only residence? I don't think so. I'm certain space is our having an in tact family for many years. Some solutions based on shipping containers or small boxes and rectangles looked interesting because one cube can be more open and bright while another could be for storage.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:12 AM

I recommend you research people who've given up tiny homes. I've seen stories in the past of realization that while it's cute on TV it really doesn't allow many to function over an extended period of time. I've also read that many restrictions on where they can be set caused some people to quit the lifestyle. They don't qualify as a mobile home or a permanent home. Check your local laws before committing. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
...That said, I'm a single guy and could probably due fine with something much smaller...
I dare say you definitely could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
I recommend you research people who've given up tiny homes. I've seen stories in the past of realization that while it's cute on TV it really doesn't allow many to function over an extended period of time. I've also read that many restrictions on where they can be set caused some people to quit the lifestyle. They don't qualify as a mobile home or a permanent home. Check your local laws before committing. Good luck.
Exactly.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-08-2022, 09:07 AM

We're in 2000 sq ft now and I don't see us going any smaller. Wife needs a craft room and I would love a music/repair room, plus we want a spare bedroom for when the kids/friends come to visit.

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic