The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2021, 07:02 AM

Default Post Holiday Gas

I have had GAS solidly at bay for over two years now. But two guitars keep barking at me right now. I have enough really high end guitars. Looking for what I feel are underdogs that punch weigh above their weight class.

If you were to choose between any of the IBG All Solid Epiphones or an Eastman 10SS what would it be?

I understand the Eastman is more expensive but what say you?
Old 12-31-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Honestly, if it was a choice between those 2 for me, I'd get the Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird. I had a chance to try one of those locally a while ago and I must say, that for a while yeah Epiphone had some q.c. issues but this was pretty good. Not enough for me to buy it LOL since I am jones'ing for something else but it was nice to try one out for myself.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:23 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about something else…..
Old 12-31-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about something else…..
LOL, when I saw the title I was thinking the same thing.....
Old 12-31-2021, 07:34 AM

I hadn't bought a new or new to me guitar for quite a while and in fact have sold a few lately in my quest to minimize my guitar investment and focus on playing rather than collecting. I also am one who really admired the value some of the lower priced instruments bring to the table.

I just picked up (about 10 days ago) a like new Eastman E2OM-CD from here on the forum. I have tried a few Eastmans in the past and haven't found anything I could live with for one reason or another - they just didn't float my boat. This one does. For $500 or so, you get all solid, 1 3/4 nut, nice full neck profile, and fantastic tone and playability. I can feel it opening up as I break it in. It is great for fingerstyle and strums great too - so far no negatives. The review online are overwhelmingly positive so I'm not the only one. The dread version looks like more of the same. I have a Fishman Rare Earth humbucking pickup on it now and it sound great through my amps and would be perfect for open mics (if I ever get up the nerve for that). Anyway, color me very impressed!

In regards to the Epi, I owned an IBG Hummingbird that was very nice. A pretty guitar and the set up was great. However, it seemed overbuilt, the PG was super thick, and it just didn't do it for me so I passed it along. Others have been more complementary that me.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I have had GAS solidly at bay for over two years now. But two guitars keep barking at me right now. I have enough really high end guitars. Looking for what I feel are underdogs that punch weigh above their weight class.
If you already own "really high end guitars," what niche are you hoping to fill with a more budget-level guitar?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 12-31-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
If you already own "really high end guitars," what niche are you hoping to fill with a more budget-level guitar?
LOL. Fair question. But as with all things related to GAS....does there really need to be an empty niche? If we subscribed to the idea that "I already have one guitar..and can only play one at a time so why do i want to own another?" that would be great. But I don't happen to be wired that way.

Similarly, I have some high end hiking boots. But that doesn't stop me from buying a pair of sandals.Not that I would want to but I could do some great hikes in those sandals too. And like most of us who don't necessarily want to take a high end guitar to the beach......I may be more inclined to take one of these guitars I am looking at.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:

If you were to choose between any of the IBG All Solid Epiphones or an Eastman 10SS what would it be?

I understand the Eastman is more expensive but what say you?
Me personally I'd get the Eastman 10SS/v - Slope shouldered mahogany body with an Adirondack spruce top, and a violin varnish finish. ~$1400.
Poor man's J-45, IMO. Even has the 24.75" scale length.

Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 12-31-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I just picked up (about 10 days ago) a like new Eastman E2OM-CD from here on the forum. I have tried a few Eastmans in the past and haven't found anything I could live with for one reason or another - they just didn't float my boat. This one does. For $500 or so, you get all solid, 1 3/4 nut, nice full neck profile, and fantastic tone and playability. I can feel it opening up as I break it in. It is great for fingerstyle and strums great too - so far no negatives. The reviews online are overwhelmingly positive so I'm not the only one.... Anyway, color me very impressed!
I also recently bought a like new Eastman E2OM-CD from here on the forum. I agree with everything Steve says above, except for not liking other Eastman guitars. I've had an Eastman arch top for the past 13 years that I enjoy more every time I play it.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

I own both (Eastman and IBG Epiphone). There really is not a comparison really. Eastman wins by a lot. It's just on a totally different level. I'm not saying the epiphones aren't good guitars. They do a decent job of emulating the sound they wish to achieve. Eastman has its own sound. But in terms of quality and craftsmanship, the Eastmsn is the clear winner.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvblues View Post
I own both (Eastman and IBG Epiphone). There really is not a comparison really. Eastman wins by a lot. It's just on a totally different level. I'm not saying the epiphones aren't good guitars. They do a decent job of emulating the sound they wish to achieve. Eastman has its own sound. But in terms of quality and craftsmanship, the Eastmsn is the clear winner.
That may be. I've never played an Eastman. Or one of the new IBG Epi's, for that matter. I'd be awfully tempted by the Epi IBG J200 though. There's something about a jumbo...

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-01-2022, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I’ve played two IBG and neither could hold a candle to the Eastman slopes. Just my two cents. Not to mention Eastmans fit and finish especially on neck profile, fretboard edge rolling, and fretwork in general is way beyond IBG. Also agree with above posted about pickguards. Most boutique level guards are about .030-.040”. The IBG guard I measured was .130” ��
Old 01-17-2022, 04:19 PM

Default Post Holiday Gas

The Eastman is a far superior instrument comparable in quality with other higher end factory guitars, the IBG Epiphones sound okay but feel a bit cheap and tacky in comparison to Eastman. The all solid AMI sigma’s do the Gibson homage a lot better thanIBG IMO both aesthetically and tonally and they don’t have a ridiculously narrow nut.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
LOL. Fair question. But as with all things related to GAS....does there really need to be an empty niche? If we subscribed to the idea that "I already have one guitar..and can only play one at a time so why do i want to own another?" that would be great. But I don't happen to be wired that way.

Similarly, I have some high end hiking boots. But that doesn't stop me from buying a pair of sandals.Not that I would want to but I could do some great hikes in those sandals too. And like most of us who don't necessarily want to take a high end guitar to the beach......I may be more inclined to take one of these guitars I am looking at.
So the answer is you're looking for a beater?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion