The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-28-2021, 12:18 PM

My older brother had many muscle cars back in the day that we both wish we had today!

66’ 396 Chevelle
69’ 396 Camaro
67’ Olds 442
65’ Pontiac GTO
69’ Corvette Convertible

I eventually owned the 65’ GTO and the 69’ Corvette. I drove the GTO in High School. It had a rare 3 speed manual with the 389 cu. engine. I went from a 65 GTO in High School to a 65’ Volkswagen Camper Van in College. I could run faster than the VW Camper Van!
Old 12-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’ve only owned one car as I just passed my test in August. A white manual Toyota Aygo with 5 miles on the clock when I bought it (now 2100). It’s a great little car, lovely handling and fun to drive. I expect to have her for many years.
Good for you Neil! (ay)go for it! Happy new year!
Old 12-28-2021, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by computo99 View Post

I eventually owned the 65’ GTO and the 69’ Corvette. I drove the GTO in High School. It had a rare 3 speed manual with the 389 cu. engine.
One of my best friends in HS/College days had a convertible '71 GTO that we rode a lot in. A big V8 with 4 speed MT. It looked nearly identical to this one, both in shape and color.

A very powerful car.
A few years later, as I recall, Pontiac went soft and the model lost all of its appeal. A real shame.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

My first five cars were Fords - a Ford Anglia 105e (1 litre) in 1966. Freedom!

tree more Fords then:

VW Scirocco Mk1 (1980) (drove from south east England to Montpelier France in about 16-17 hours) Loved it

Three Ford Scorpios last one 1996 the google eyed mark - gentleman's club on wheels - years ahead of its time, but a 2.9 sic cylinder engine was ridiculous for the UK.

Two Honda Accords - great 2 litre engine - a TARDIS! (bigger inside than out)

Now I'm on my second CRV and considering another - which would be a hybrid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford-Scorpio-Ultima-Estate-For-Sale.jpg (42.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Honda~Accord~Tourer~(4).jpg (34.6 KB, 156 views)
Old 12-28-2021, 02:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I was an British sports car fan...I emphasize ,"was". Had many in my youth, and my favorite...1959 Triumph TR-3.
Very nice. I liked the Spitfires. My rides for the mid 70's and early 80's

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-28-2021, 02:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
My first five cars were Fords - a Ford Anglia 105e (1 litre) in 1966. Freedom!

three more Fords then:
You were driving Fords and I was driving Triumph Spitfires..... What's wrong with this picture?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-28-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Not my favorite, but the most notable. It was fun for a summer!
Old 12-28-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Good for you Neil! (ay)go for it! Happy new year!
Cheers Andy, hope you have a happy new year when it comes.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
1969 Datsun 2000 - 150 hp - 5-speed.

Bruce, I love seeing this car every time you post it. What a beautiful and fun looking car! Can’t get enough of it.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:47 PM

Default Favorite car you've ever owned?

1969 Checker Marathon V8: never used for taxi service (came with OEM cloth upholstery/carpets, walnut-finish dash, and no jumpseats), bought as part of a fleet purchase by someone who worked for a local bus/limo company and sold to me by his widow in '75 (for $500) with 46K miles on the odometer. This was my first bluesmobile (the second being a '94 Chevy Impala SS I bought new) - did yeoman duty with the trio I had in the mid/late-70's as our gear transporter (sat three across in the front seat, had more than enough space in the rear/trunk for column PA speakers/head, amps, instruments, and the obligatory "oh-crap" spares/tool bag - with room to spare), and at 3500 lbs. unloaded with a factory 300HP 350 Chevy small-block under the hood (almost the same power/weight ratio as my '02 Z-28) I laid a stoplight butt-whippin' on more than a few of the underpowered '70s ponycars . Drove it for nearly 12 years before on-street parking in Brooklyn winters took its toll - and if some of the talk I've heard about reviving the brand (with modern mechanicals/comforts but near-original design specs) is true, I'd buy another in a heartbeat...

Old 12-28-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Bruce, I love seeing this car every time you post it. What a beautiful and fun looking car! Can’t get enough of it.
Thanks Tom - they were sold in the USA in left hand drive as you may know but most were a detuned 135 hp version there - here in Australia we got the right hand drive full 150 hp version same as Japan.

Unique 'U' series motor that only came with that car and a 5-speed all syncro gearbox that was also used on the very early right-hand drive 240Z's.

7.5 litre alloy sump - twin side-draught solex-mikuni carbs - disc brake front end

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-29-2021, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You were driving Fords and I was driving Triumph Spitfires..... What's wrong with this picture?
Huh?

British made Anglia, 105e and Mk1 and mk2 Cortinas then three Koln built Ford Scorpios.

I had a Mondeo for a while.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Huh?

British made Anglia, 105e and Mk1 and mk2 Cortinas then three Koln built Ford Scorpios.

I had a Mondeo for a while.
I think Barry was referring to himself being an American driving a British based car and you being a Brit driving US based cars - yes, they were made in the UK and Germany but the mother company Ford is as American as apple pie!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-29-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
1969 Checker Marathon V8: never used for taxi service (came with OEM cloth upholstery/carpets, walnut-finish dash, and no jumpseats), bought as part of a fleet purchase by someone who worked for a local bus/limo company and sold to me by his widow in '75 (for $500) with 46K miles on the odometer. This was my first bluesmobile (the second being a '94 Chevy Impala SS I bought new) - did yeoman duty with the trio I had in the mid/late-70's as our gear transporter (sat three across in the front seat, had more than enough space in the rear/trunk for column PA speakers/head, amps, instruments, and the obligatory "oh-crap" spares/tool bag - with room to spare), and at 3500 lbs. unloaded with a factory 300HP 350 Chevy small-block under the hood (almost the same power/weight ratio as my '02 Z-28) I laid a stoplight butt-whippin' on more than a few of the underpowered '70s ponycars . Drove it for nearly 12 years before on-street parking in Brooklyn winters took its toll - and if some of the talk I've heard about reviving the brand (with modern mechanicals/comforts but near-original design specs) is true, I'd buy another in a heartbeat...

You win with the Checker.

Something funny in all this is I put a lot of thought to it. I grew up around interesting cars because my dad was a collector and we restored some. I've had antiques, US muscle cars, European, Japanese and all sorts.

The funny part is a least expected to own car is maybe my favorite. We got one of the last ever US/Canada VW Alltracks with manual transmission and the premium wheel and electronics during the bargain period of pandemic.

In their futile effort to sell against SUVs, Outbacks and others VW made that Golf wagon variation a mixed bag of Golf and premium items from other vehicles. The last run of 2019s sold in 2020 had upgraded/latest electronics. The result is a wagon with Haldex for 4 wheel drift, manners, and stock acceleration Camaros and Mustangs used to have. It's one of the most mod-friendly platforms out there and maybe most sleeper car I've had.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:00 AM

1988 red Honda Accord Hatchback, before they became mid-sized family sedans. 200K+ miles w/o a significant repair. Some cars you just fall in love with, and others are just transportation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic