The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-10-2022, 09:40 AM

As others have said, Justin Guitar is a great resource. (I knew there were a lot of free videos, but didn't realize that the printable coursework was free as well...just learned that here).

I, too, am a "raw" beginner. At age 67, I'm going to give it another try. (Gave up about 20 years ago after failing to master the F chord!).

This time around, I'm using two resources:

1. Fender Play -- I think I paid $50 for the first year of this. Seems pretty well laid out, but some of the stuff is too basic...like it's developed for pre-teens. Anyway, it does have some good features that I like.

2. Lessons - Found a local guitar teacher I like, so I want to try to learn all the basics from him. We like the same kind of music, which makes him even easier to understand.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:14 PM

Like others have mentioned, (many) years ago I began by playing easy songs from books full of folk songs (or Beatles).

About 20 years ago I wrote a tutorial for my sister who didn’t live nearby but wanted to learn. Not sure it’s what you’re looking for (it’s kind of like those Amazon links you posted) but you’re welcome to have a look. It’s on a website that also houses my songbook which has over 900 songs, including a version just for beginners, and the songs include a link to a recording of the song so you can play along. It would give you tons of practice. It’s all free - just my way of giving back.

The link is below; have a look if you’re interested. And stick with it. Don’t expect to get good overnight but it’ll come if you’re patient and willing to practice.

Al

(P.S. +1 for Justin Sandercoe for on-line lessons. Marty Schwartz is pretty good too.)

https://songbook19.my-free.website/

Martin HD-35
Martin D-18
Taylor 814ce TSB
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Taylor 514ce
Taylor 355 12-string
Alvarez ABT610e Baritone 6
Yamaha C-40
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge

G4V Cyber Instructor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write