The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-11-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Default NMD Weber

For the past three years or so, I've been on the lookout for a good mandolin in a very passive sort of way, like going into Gryphon every four or five months. I'd already pretty much decided I was not going to spend $6k on a base model Gibson or Collings. The Northfield Big Mon was a maybe, but $5k is a lot of dough, and their maple has not been as good as other builders, and I mean good as pretty. Fine mandolins they are.

So I left early yesterday to give me time to go by Gryphon on the way to visiting the grandkids. I'd checked their inventory in the morning, but didn't see anything different. So it was just a look around and buy some strings, play some Collings mandolins again. Never really bonded with them. There on the wall was a 15 year old Weber Yellowstone Deluxe. Distressed when it left Montana with another decade and a half of wear and tear. But it was fully bound, had beautiful maple, fern inlays, and much to my surprise, sounded great. See, I'd never liked the Webers I'd played. They were too quiet. Not this one. So I had little time to hem and haw, and the price was right. It was on consignment, and I thought it would not last long. It had just been put out. I walked to the counter, was reaching for my wallet and they were talking to a guy on the phone about buying it. A minute more of indecision, and it would have been gone, Fifteen minutes later, I would never had known it was there. Kind of feel bad as the guy on the phone had called twice before and had just decided. Well, I've been on the other side of the situation.

I'll try to figure out how to post pics. $3k is still a lot of money, but not for a close to top of the line instrument, and I don't have to baby it. Just the perfect mandolin for me, in the perfect 15 minute window, and I've learned to trust my hands and ears. And then decide, you have to know how to do that.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 11-11-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:21 PM

Congratulations on scoring your new mandolin. Sometimes timing is everything.

I experienced a similar situation just this past week. We've been house hunting for the past few weeks. Last week we found the house of our dreams at a development under construction, and that evening we signed the application to buy it and emailed it back to the builder. The next day we went back to iron out the details with the builder, and while there, he got a call from someone who had been interested in the same house a day earlier than us but didn't get around to sending the application back. Needless to say that someone was pretty upset.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:58 PM

cool, nice
Old 11-17-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I emailed Bruce Weber. He got back to me with the info on my mandolin. Turns out it was a custom order for The Mandolin Store, who ordered enough of them it became the Fern model shortly after mine was built. Pretty much top o the line back then.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 11-18-2021, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
For the past three years or so, I've been on the lookout for a good mandolin in a very passive sort of way, like going into Gryphon every four or five months. I'd already pretty much decided I was not going to spend $6k on a base model Gibson or Collings. The Northfield Big Mon was a maybe, but $5k is a lot of dough, and their maple has not been as good as other builders, and I mean good as pretty. Fine mandolins they are.

So I left early yesterday to give me time to go by Gryphon on the way to visiting the grandkids. I'd checked their inventory in the morning, but didn't see anything different. So it was just a look around and buy some strings, play some Collings mandolins again. Never really bonded with them. There on the wall was a 15 year old Weber Yellowstone Deluxe. Distressed when it left Montana with another decade and a half of wear and tear. But it was fully bound, had beautiful maple, fern inlays, and much to my surprise, sounded great. See, I'd never liked the Webers I'd played. They were too quiet. Not this one. So I had little time to hem and haw, and the price was right. It was on consignment, and I thought it would not last long. It had just been put out. I walked to the counter, was reaching for my wallet and they were talking to a guy on the phone about buying it. A minute more of indecision, and it would have been gone, Fifteen minutes later, I would never had known it was there. Kind of feel bad as the guy on the phone had called twice before and had just decided. Well, I've been on the other side of the situation.

I'll try to figure out how to post pics. $3k is still a lot of money, but not for a close to top of the line instrument, and I don't have to baby it. Just the perfect mandolin for me, in the perfect 15 minute window, and I've learned to trust my hands and ears. And then decide, you have to know how to do that.

This is got to be your new mandolin???? I saw it on mandocafe a few days ago, it looks cool!!!

Congrats!!!!

And I know exactly how you feel about spending that kind of money on a used mando, because I just dropped $3400 on a used Collings mandolin last night

I've never spent a third of that on a mandolin, but I just wanted to know is there really a difference in playing a higher dollar mando compared to the two lesser priced USA Breedloves that I have.

I wasn't passive about it as you were though, because in a few days my gigging schedule is going to go through the roof, so I figured in this downtime, I would find a good mando and buy it before I got to busy.

In your case, is this a big upgrade from what you were playing? I remember my opinion on many Webers mirroring yours, and the same with Flatirons, they were always too quiet for me. So I think it's really cool you found one that isn't and you are really connecting with it. I'm thinking now that maybe the ones the were too quiet just weren't set up right as I've learned about setups with my own mandolins and the bridge height and string selection really make a difference.

But my taste has changed with mandos, because in my case I want a pretty sounding mandolin, It doesn't need to be loud because it's mainly for recording. I listened to many clips of the exact mando that I bought, and it seems like it will work for me. But I won't have it for a few days so the anticipation will probably kill me.

I hope you make some recordings of your new mandolin so we all get to hear it!!!
Old 11-18-2021, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Try this : https://webermandolins.com/mandolins...ne-ht-mandolin

My long time sideman Mando Bob has a Weber Fern not distressed, but I've seen them in the past.

I have my Czech made Lebeda that I wouldn't swap for anything.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

That is indeed my mandolin. It is not so big an improvement, as I did build a pretty good mandolin, but an audible clarity up and down the fretboard. I think I'm going to redo the nut, bridge, and possibly the frets on mine now that I have the Weber to play.

Bruce Weber got back to me with the details on the Yellowstone Deluxe. It was a custom order from The Mandolin Store, and did indeed become the Fern model. He said it got a very thin finish because it didn't need a thicker high gloss due to the relic job. You can see the original faux pickwear next to the honest pinky plant wear. Different coloration.

Over a long period of time, I tried to justify to myself possibly buying a Collings, but I've just never bonded with the modern tone. I always walked out of Gryphon liking the Northfield Big Mon, but really, I like the Gibson sound. Collings has the finest selection of maple though. It's all just subjective. But I bought the mandolin that works for me after a side by side workout. Works aesthetically, sonicly, and financially. Sort of what my goal was. I had a ok if it doesn't happen approach. I just knew I wanted a fully bound mandolin and didn't want to buy a 5K mandolin that wasn't. Or a fully bound mandolin that didn't have pretty flamed maple. In my mind I would have gone $5k, but most even used mandolins were significantly more.

Just a lucky but purposeful purchase. I saw no add before walking into Gryphon. Now I realize I need a strap for it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 11-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

That is indeed my mandolin. It is not so big an improvement, as I did build a pretty good mandolin, but an audible clarity up and down the fretboard. I think I'm going to redo the nut, bridge, and possibly the frets on mine now that I have the Weber to play.

Bruce Weber got back to me with the details on the Yellowstone Deluxe. It was a custom order from The Mandolin Store, and did indeed become the Fern model. He said it got a very thin finish because it didn't need a thicker high gloss due to the relic job. You can see the original faux pickwear next to the honest pinky plant wear. Different coloration.

Over a long period of time, I tried to justify to myself possibly buying a Collings, but I've just never bonded with the modern tone. I always walked out of Gryphon liking the Northfield Big Mon, but really, I like the Gibson sound. Collings has the finest selection of maple though. It's all just subjective. But I bought the mandolin that works for me after a side by side workout. Works aesthetically, sonicly, and financially. Sort of what my goal was. I had a ok if it doesn't happen approach. I just knew I wanted a fully bound mandolin and didn't want to buy a 5K mandolin that wasn't. Or a fully bound mandolin that didn't have pretty flamed maple. In my mind I would have gone $5k, but most even used mandolins were significantly more.

Just a lucky but purposeful purchase. I saw no add before walking into Gryphon. Now I realize I need a strap for it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 11-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

It’s a beautiful thing. Sometimes instruments don’t sound great until they have a few years of play on them. Sounds like you got a good one at a great price. I’ve admired Yellowstones from catalog pics but never had one in my hands. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:27 PM

I’ve had several Webers, a Flatiron, 1915 Gibson, etc. Loved all the Webers and still have a mandola.

Don’t play with others nowadays and my mandola sounds so good solo.

Love the photo of your Yellowstone.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
I’ve had several Webers, a Flatiron, 1915 Gibson, etc. Loved all the Webers and still have a mandola.

Don’t play with others nowadays and my mandola sounds so good solo.

Love the photo of your Yellowstone.
It's interesting to me that I've been lukewarm on Webers up to this one. I am a believer in played in instruments though. Maybe a believer in sitka tops too. Most Gibsons are sitka. More surprising is finding an instrument that ticks all the boxes. I am not adverse to a bit or a lot of abalone inlay either. Anyway, I had some good fortune come my way.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 11-21-2021, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

That's an excellent Weber you picked up, that model always sounds very good.

I have a slightly newer version of it but in full gloss, another mandolinstore custom Yellowstone with fern appointments. Sounds and plays excellent.

Excellent price you received also.

d
Old 11-21-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

My guitars have been lonely the last two weeks. And this covid thing has put a damper on social get togethers. But after a couple of weeks, I'm still very happy with it. Much harder than finding a guitar, in part because there are so many mandolins in the above $7000 category.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 11-21-2021, 04:41 PM

Gorgeous mandolin!
Old 12-01-2021, 03:13 PM

Have you recorded this mandolin at all? I would like to hear it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments