The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-30-2021, 09:22 PM

Loved seeing these, Jim! They are beautifully done and capture so many of Tom's moods!
Thanks for sharing these and including me in this wonderful tribute to Tom.
Best wishes in the coming days to all your family.
Played my Legacy tonight with a new tune that's coming along ("Tidal Pools")......of all my guitars, it's the one that gives up the most music and brings me along for the ride!
All my best!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 10-30-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: word insert
Old 11-24-2021, 11:41 AM

Default Shocked to hear about Tom's passing

My deepest condolences to Tom's family! I had an incredible text exchange with Tom at the end of june 2020 where I told him I was grateful to own the finest guitar he ever built. Im sure anyone who owns one of his master pieces feels the same way! What a nice guy who was very down to earth. He will be deeply missed by all who encountered him and my prayers go out to his family and close friends. Im grateful to own a recent Mod D he poured his heart into! Im gonna save our text exchange and proudly play my Doerr Mod D asking the Lord to allow Tom to hear it from time to time!

Rest in Jesus Tom!

Jonathan Mock
Old 12-27-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Such sad news.

Tom's guitars were great, of course. More importantly, he was a lovely guy.

When writing my musings about 2015's Memphis Guitar Show for Fretboard Journal, I selected one of Tom's guitars as my favorite at the show.

This is my guitar. I bought it when he posted it here in the forum for Memphis.

It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship. It is now accompanied by a MD Braz under Addy. That guitar was five years in the making, largely due to my life circumstances going though some tough times. These are the only two acoustics I own.

I only learned of Tom’s passing today from Tim McKnight. I am still stunned and processing his passing.

I was concerned when he didn’t reply to my text, which is never more than the next day. It was more than a builder-client relationship or at least to me it seems so; perhaps that was just Tom’s way.

Forgetting about the huge loss to the luthierie community, I feel for his family. He was so full of energy and enthusiasm; for everything.

The Memphis guitar is with its original owner (me) and I’m still amazed that he got such an amazingly large sound from such a small guitar AND ….he did it with maple and then painted it black - perfect! This is the guitar that was briefly on consignment at Sound Pure during my divorce - I got it back before it sold.

The MD is a cannon of bells. And something spelled similarly. It too will make music for as long as I have anything to say.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red

Last edited by lizzard; 12-27-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:35 AM

Still reeling from the loss our community has suffered from Tom's absence. We made a dedication video in memory of Tom (in hindsight, I should have probably recorded this using the Doerr Modified Dreadnought I had in store). I covered one of my favourite songs, "Ashes in the Sea" by Antoine Dufour which I thought was apt for this dedication. Rest in peace Tom...

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-13-2022, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Nice performance Marcus, very fitting. I hope you share this with Tom’s family, I’m sure they will be very grateful for your tribute.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-13-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Nice performance and nice song Marcus!!
Really enjoyed it!! I only wish I could play that awesomely!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 01-13-2022, 02:28 PM

Beautiful playing, Marcus. I think it would be awesome if you recorded it on the Doerr you have in store and shared it with the family.

Last edited by Ukulele_Eddie; 01-14-2022 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
This is my guitar. I bought it when he posted it here in the forum for Memphis. ... It too will make music for as long as I have anything to say.
Thank you so much for posting this. It warms my heart to learn that this lovely guitar resides with someone who truly appreciates it.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default RIP Tom Doerr

I never met Tom but I have 2 of his guitars and I treasure them.
Once I was shopping online at a high end guitar store by Skype. After hearing and seeing 5 or 6 guitars, the shop owner said let me show you one last guitar, the most popular in the shop. A large Doerr Solace in BRW/Moon spruce. I bought it and it’s the best sounding guitar I’ve ever heard, still. It’s also the best smelling, with Spanish Cedar elements inside.
So much so that I custom ordered a Doerr Legacy from Tom. He was a pleasure to work with and so kind and giving of his time. I’ll keep both as long as I can play.
I’m so saddened to learn of his passing. Condolences to his family.

Here is a slack key instrumental I did with my Doerr Legacy a few years ago.

https://vimeo.com/414348876

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 01-22-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
I never met Tom but I have 2 of his guitars and I treasure them.
Once I was shopping online at a high end guitar store by Skype. After hearing and seeing 5 or 6 guitars, the shop owner said let me show you one last guitar, the most popular in the shop. A large Doerr Solace in BRW/Moon spruce. I bought it and it’s the best sounding guitar I’ve ever heard, still. It’s also the best smelling, with Spanish Cedar elements inside.
So much so that I custom ordered a Doerr Legacy from Tom. He was a pleasure to work with and so kind and giving of his time. I’ll keep both as long as I can play.
I’m so saddened to learn of his passing. Condolences to his family.

Here is a slack key instrumental I did with my Doerr Legacy a few years ago.
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/414348876
Beautiful sound, indeed. Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to one day playing one of his works. They always sound so deep and rich.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-22-2022, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Default RIP Tom Doerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Beautiful sound, indeed. Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to one day playing one of his works. They always sound so deep and rich.

Mahalo, I hope the link is working. One of your recent videos helped sell me an Edwinson a couple months ago, if I have the name right.

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 01-22-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:10 PM

Very nice indeed, Lizzard. I’m the proud owner of your guitar’s plainer (but still as beautiful-sounding) sister!

Like everyone else here, I am so very sorry to learn of Tom’s passing. We only spoke once, about a year and half ago - I wanted to show him that his Trinity model was being enjoyed out in France. But, inevitably, Tom being so easy to talk to and so kind with his time, we ended up chatting all things guitar for well over an hour

Tom was truly humble for a world-class builder. He told me about how he felt he had reached new levels after he attended a Somogyi class, and the painstaking nature of working with real silver on his guitars. And of course, he wanted to see his 2016 guitar from all angles on the video call - he had me putting the phone inside the soundhole so he could see the bracing pattern!

Tom was also telling me, a relative stranger, all about his young family, the benefits of having a workshop next to his brother’s, and his little puppy (I seem to recall his Facebook photo at one stage was the puppy in his back pocket!). And so I can only echo what others have said - Tom was just a lovely, warm guy and he had that rare ability to make you feel like you knew him after five minutes.

My sincere condolences to the family. Tom was one of the best.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:09 AM

Smile Thank you!

Hello! I am Tom's wife, Alisa. I've finally taken the step to make a profile on here - it's only taken me a little over 7 months. I have read the beautiful and heartfelt replies from so many around the world of what Tom meant to them over the years. They have meant so much to me and our girls! Thank you! As you can imagine he has left an incredible void in our lives, but it brings us such joy to know that his legacy will go on through his incredible instruments/creations. And I have also been grateful to those that have reached out financially to help us through these difficult days. There have been some that have reached out as well to offer us first right of refusal on the sale of their guitars; which have meant the world to us. The girls now have something that their dad created to cherish for years to come! Something to show their children what grandpa made. Something our 16 yo (guitar playing) daughter always asked him for but he never got around to building for her.
I know Tom's brother, Jim, was so kind in helping me with closing out Tom's business dealings in those first few months. However, now I would ask that you forward any questions or inquiries to me directly as I will now be handling anything remaining or things that may pop up in the future. Even if it is just memories or thoughts of Tom. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you again!

Sincerely,
Alisa Doerr
Old 05-18-2022, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's Wife View Post
Hello! I am Tom's wife, Alisa. I've finally taken the step to make a profile on here - it's only taken me a little over 7 months. I have read the beautiful and heartfelt replies from so many around the world of what Tom meant to them over the years. They have meant so much to me and our girls! Thank you! As you can imagine he has left an incredible void in our lives, but it brings us such joy to know that his legacy will go on through his incredible instruments/creations. And I have also been grateful to those that have reached out financially to help us through these difficult days. There have been some that have reached out as well to offer us first right of refusal on the sale of their guitars; which have meant the world to us. The girls now have something that their dad created to cherish for years to come! Something to show their children what grandpa made. Something our 16 yo (guitar playing) daughter always asked him for but he never got around to building for her.

I know Tom's brother, Jim, was so kind in helping me with closing out Tom's business dealings in those first few months. However, now I would ask that you forward any questions or inquiries to me directly as I will now be handling anything remaining or things that may pop up in the future. Even if it is just memories or thoughts of Tom. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Alisa Doerr

Thank you for coming on here and saying ‘hi,’ Alisa. It’s nice to hear from you. I have two of Tom’s guitars, one is a custom. I never got to know him but have the utmost respect for him. He was well loved and made the world’s best guitars.
All the best to you and your family.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:32 AM

Tom’s exquisite but aesthetically refined designs are a source of inspiration. So sad to hear of his passing.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop