The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-15-2021, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
How about we let his guitars speak for themselves.

Here’s the first recording I did with my wonderful Doerr Trinity 00.

You were right to post this, Bob. Truly lovely.

Wishing peace for Mr. Doerr and for all those who knew and cared about him. It’s clear he made a lasting impact on so many and for that this world was made all the richer.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:41 AM

Hi all! I haven’t been very active here (or any forum) lately. I wanted to pop in just to see what was being said about Tom, and my heart is warmed by the wonderful comments.
Tom was a dear friend. I’m not sure I’ve ever known a kinder soul. And it saddens me to say that the world is a little less good without him in it.
If anyone has a guitar in the works from him I’m happy to finish them (free of charge) as I did with a couple of Kevin’s guitars. I haven’t worked anything out with Alisa yet, trying to give her some space to process this. But rest assured that one way or another you’ll be taken care of. All I ask is that you contact me rather than her.
[email protected]
Old 10-15-2021, 07:09 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
Hi all! I haven’t been very active here (or any forum) lately. I wanted to pop in just to see what was being said about Tom, and my heart is warmed by the wonderful comments.

Tom was a dear friend. I’m not sure I’ve ever known a kinder soul. And it saddens me to say that the world is a little less good without him in it.

If anyone has a guitar in the works from him I’m happy to finish them (free of charge) as I did with a couple of Kevin’s guitars. I haven’t worked anything out with Alisa yet, trying to give her some space to process this. But rest assured that one way or another you’ll be taken care of. All I ask is that you contact me rather than her.

[email protected]

For anyone needing it, this is the definition of the Yiddish word “mensch.”
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-15-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
[email protected]
It's folks like Paul Woolson, who make our world a better place! Paul had risen to the occasion when we lost Kevin G, and completed his guitars and he has selflessly offered to do this again for Tom's guitars! That's a wonderful gesture.

I do hope that Alisa and her young girls somehow find the strength to deal with this tragic loss of Tom. My heart goes out to them.

During my last visit to the US in 2018, I spoke to Tom on the phone and wanted to visit him to meet him in person but due to issues with our international driving license and insurance, we were unable to hire a car to travel from Bayonne NJ where we were living to Saginaw MI. I wish I could have met him in person. I will carry this regret for the rest of my life.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

RIP Tom.......Never met the man, but have admired his work...Played one at DG a few years back and fell in love with it...We have lost one of the best luthiers in the industry......

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 10-15-2021, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Rest in peace, Tom. Condolences to his young family and loved ones.

I am the lucky owner of a Doerr Trinity, which has been played exclusively for the past 3-months or so. Tom was really generous with his time and expertise throughout the whole process. Recently I had thought to myself "I really need to send Tom a video of his work in action" given how much I like it - that is still the plan, only now it'd be shared with his family.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:40 AM

My name is Jim and I am Tom's older brother. I read this thread last night and was inspired by your heartfelt words. I share an adjacent shop to his at our Dad's farm. For those who've visited Tom's shop in recent years, you may had seen a guy there working on Porsche cars. If you missed me, I suspect you were very excited to talk to Tom and tour his guitars and shop. Don't blame ya. It's been a real enjoyment for me to see or meet the people that have come to visit. My Dad loves that too. My daughter's favorite story is when Greta Van Fleet stopped by.

Your words and sentiments about who Tommy was are so spot on. It is clear he affected you the way he did with everyone. He was just that kind of guy. And I share a deep admiration for him as well. Always looked up to my little bother. So kind and so talented. Truly unbelievable.

I have the distinction of teaching him how play guitar when he was 14. I was 18 and was just learning how to play. I showed him where to put his fingers in the strings and got him sliding through 'Smoke on the Water' and 'Iron Man'. After that, he just went for it. Next thing you know, his was ripping through 'The Song Remains the Same' and 'Stairway to Heaven' on a Gibson SG doubleneck. Following, he got into Phil Keaggy and we went to many of his concerts together. Tom and he had a good talk after one of his concerts, as he was working to learn his finger-pick and tap-harmonics style. Tom's style of play evolved into his own and from then on he remained acoustic only.

It was 2000 or 2001 and after meeting Bill Wise, he was inspired to build a guitar. He started out in the basement of his house, set up a small shop, built his first one. He was proud that he completed it but knew he could do better. His number 2 showed much improvement.

I'm very proud to say I was his first customer. Tom asked if I would be interested in one of his next guitars, and of course I said yes. He planned to build 2; one for himself and one for me. Inspired by master luthiers, they were modeled in the style of Kevin Ryan. Both were small jumbos, his spruce and brazilian, mine cedar and cocobolo, both with mahogany necks. He started them in December 2001, and presented them at my birthday party in February 2002. We played them together for our company.

While he was building them, I remember him saying, “You know Jimmy, I'm giving you a really good deal on this guitar”. And I replied to him, “You know Tommy, I'm your only customer!” This story just makes me laugh so hard. The only 'argument' we had on the build was that I needed a pickguard (because of my play style) and Tom felt they were a distraction. I'm sure many of you could attest to this. We compromised on a thin clear guard.

Both guitars were light years improvement over the first 2. At this point, I believe he knew he was on to something. From there, his build style evolved into his own. What I have seen pass through his shop over years, I can only describe as otherworldly.

I still play my number 4. He reset it for me a couple of years ago because the bridge had opened up too far. This gave him a chance to look over his early work and he was actually pleased with it. He commented on how 'light' he built it, and wished still had that cocobolo for another build. It's really is great sounding, easy playing guitar. However, I know it's not even close what you all get to play.

He loved his family most, but wood was a close second. He could spend a whole day picking out wood. He would come up to Dad or me and ask us to smell it. “You just gotta smell this!”, he would say. Or we'd hear him in the other room 'tapping' on it. Thump, thump. If it was a really great set, he would have us check it out. “Listen to this”, as it was up to his ear, “thump, thump”. It was too much fun to watch how he got into his wood.
And listening to him when he set up your guitars for their first or second play... You could hear them resonate through the walls, no matter where we were. And sometimes he would come out and play them for one or both of us.

To see the beauty of his work and hear the tone like no other I've ever heard will be the most special memory I will hold dear. I imagine this is the same for you all too. Thank you for all your kindness and condolences. Our family appreciates you all very much.

Please consider me point of contact for the family. I will do my best to respond, but respectfully ask for your patience during this difficult time. I can be reached at [email protected]

Kind regards,
Jim Doerr
Old 10-15-2021, 10:45 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Doerr View Post
My name is Jim and I am Tom's older brother. I read this thread last night and was inspired by your heartfelt words.

This post means a lot to so many here. We met briefly one day a few years ago on one of my visits. Hearing so much more of the story is wonderful for us.

Tom was a wonderful human being above all else, but his mastery of the wood and his family will be his legacy.

When I lost my brother suddenly at 49 it was the stories his friends told (many of whom I didn't know) that gave me the most peace and healing. I wish that for you and your family as well.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:58 AM

This was wonderful, Jim! Thank you so much for posting! Made me smile.....especially about the "deal" you were getting, and your fantastic response!
My best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-15-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Jim, thank you for your added insight into Tom's life and his love of family and wood.

I have never had the honor of meeting Tom or playing one of his creations, but, I can feel the sincere love and respect for him from all whose paths may have crossed with his.

My deepest condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends. May He Rest In Peace.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Smile Lovely post Jim

Very sweet, Jim

Thanks for the insights and the stories. Please know we are all sending our very best to you and your family in this difficult and trying time.

Our hearts go out to you all!

And Bravo to Paul Woolson for his awesome offer to finish any builds! Mensch indeed!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-16-2021, 05:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am both saddened and shocked to hear the news about Tom. Although I didn’t speak with Tom on a regular basis, I considered him a friend as we had many conversations at shows. I remember having a deep conversation with him about the glamours (tongue in cheek) of being a guitar maker. As it has been said his work was impeccable and I remember being a little jealous of how great of a builder he was. Once I met him that jealousy quickly became admiration and respect. He truly was an inspiration to me and so many others.

Jim,

Thank you for sharing some of your story about Tommy. Like Tom my first (and only) customer was my older brother. When my brother died, I talked with his son about what we should do with the two guitars that I made for him. My nephew doesn’t play guitar but wanted to keep them perhaps to pass down to his kids at some point. Please find some solace in that Tom deeply touched so many people. He will be missed.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

So sorry to hear this, Tom went much too young. My thoughts and best wishes go out to his family.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

It’s been very therapeutic and powerful reading everyone’s posts… I’d like to attach a link Alisa “Toms Wife” sent me from the service…

https://www.facebook.com/faithofsagi...5666162532006/
Old 10-19-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Oh man…I’m absolutely shattered at the news of Toms passing. I was first introduced to Tom’s work by my friend, Frank Smith, who was a longtime Doerr artist (Frank also passed this year)…. I remember hearing Frank play his Doerr Legacy and thinking..finally…that is what a guitar should sound like! When one came around on the used market I pounced. Of the 100+ guitars I’ve owned that one was easily the best…period…. We in the guitar nerd community have lost one of the finest artists out there. Godspeed Tom Doerr you will be missed!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop